WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thanks a lot.

My wife is going to kill me if I ask her to translate the pages ;) I guess I have to use google translation or something....

Is he not also the person who published the book showing almost each model from each manufacturer (the same way as they are shown in the article: front, caseback, movement).

Would be amazing if we could find friendly, helpful souls to translate the articles into english and make the information, content and history also known to others?

Any volunteers available? ;)

Romain

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot.

My wife is going to kill me if I ask her to translate the pages ;) I guess I have to use google translation or something....

Is he not also the person who published the book showing almost each model from each manufacturer (the same way as they are shown in the article: front, caseback, movement).

Would be amazing if we could find friendly, helpful souls to translate the articles into english and make the information, content and history also known to others?

Any volunteers available? ;)

Romain
We need a watch expert to translate an article with many technical terms like this. I doubt if any person without a technical background would like to try? There are many similar articles on that site. For example, an article mentioned a silicon coil spring for a new type tourbillon movement by Seagull that Seagull hopes to make a real Swiss chronometer quality watch for the first time.|>

The gentleman is not the person who published the book, but a friend of him.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
….watch expert to translate an article with many technical terms...
hm…let me see, I might ask my chinese engineering colleagues (mechanical engineers though), I doubt I will have an enthusiast reply, on the other hand, I am also their boss...

...mentioned a silicon coil spring for a new type tourbillon movement by Seagull...
Say what? Keep going….

The gentleman is not the person who published the book, but a friend of him.
I see, thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hm…let me see, I might ask my chinese engineering colleagues (mechanical engineers though), I doubt I will have an enthusiast reply, on the other hand, I am also their boss...
If his field is precision instruments and meters, it might not be too difficult. Otherwise, I have a big sympathy for your employees. :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Don't we need to obtain permission from writer/copyright owner to make translation?
probably yes, but it also depends on what we are going to do with the translations (if they ever will be done). If it is just for me to know what they talk about, I guess I don't have to inform or ask him, but you are correct, if we are going to publish them somewhere he should better be informed.

I could imagine though, that he will be more than pleased that some foreigners ask him about his articles (to be translated), maybe he will even agree to have the articles in english on his (?) webpage, because that would also increase the traffic to his page...

So far I didn't bring the good news to my engineers yet, I need to find the right moment ;)

Romain

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If his field is precision instruments and meters, it might not be too difficult. Otherwise, I have a big sympathy for your employees. :)
Nope, but it involves gears, pressures, temperatures and a lot of measuring yes...

it is automotive industry (destroying cars is one of our job).

We will see, I doubt I can ask them in a nice way as it is quit a lot to translate and since it is also not really job related, I can also not really force them ;)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Not my cup of tea,

but nevertheless beautiful watches and amazing talent and craftmanship...

Again, in my opinion, with the right marketing, design and the right people for the decisions, Sea Gull could become (if not already on the way anyway) a very serious competitor in the world market.

Romain

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Not my cup of tea,

but nevertheless beautiful watches and amazing talent and craftmanship...

Again, in my opinion, with the right marketing, design and the right people for the decisions, Sea Gull could become (if not already on the way anyway) a very serious competitor in the world market.

Romain
It looks like the next selling point of mechanical watches would be ones with new materials. A Swiss company(Frederique Constant?) also developed a new silicium hair spring movement at last Basel World. Seagull could be ahead of many others to introduce a new movement with a new material.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It looks like the next selling point of mechanical watches would be ones with new materials. Patek Phillipe also developed a new silicon movement at last Basel World. Seagull could be ahead of many others to introduce a new movement with a new material.
Ha! I would love to see that :) ...and especially the reaction of the known swiss / japanese brands.

Hopefully they can introduce it in time,

Romain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts