WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

621 - 640 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you mean that the winding crown automatically returns to the winding position once you let go of the crown being in setting position, or do you mean that when in winding position the crown automatically rotates back when you wind it? If the latter I'd definitely say check the click spring. Otherwise, perhaps the setting lever spring (the lid over the keyless works) or the yoke spring (also called "return bar spring" and "clutch lever spring").

I trust the very thorough fault-finding process done by EndevaourDK, but I'm itching so please bear with me...:-d
Many thanks for your help! I haven't had the time to tinker with the 2414A lately, so sorry for the delayed answer. The winding crown automatically rotates back when it's in the SETTING position (that's the strange thing about it, at least for me).
When I turn the crown in the winding position it has the effect of turning the ratchet wheel AS WELL AS the spring barrel (which can be seen when looking into the side of the movement). I checked the click spring and everything seems to work allright there.
I have two 2414A movements at the moment showing exactly the same "symptoms" mentioned above. And I had this problem with an old 2416B also. By disassembling it, I found out that the center wheel had loosened itself from its former position. It seemed to me as if it had been press-fitted so I wasn't able to fix it back in its former position. But this does not seem to be the problem here.

Anyway, what I found out when looking at the 2414A from a different perspective is the following: In a correctly working movement the winding mechanism and the setting mechanism are de-coupled (I hope the term is right here) when pulling the crown. This is NOT the case here. In the setting AND in the winding position the crown moves the setting and the minute wheel. The setting yoke seems to work correctly though and there is the usual "click" sound and "resistance" when pulling or pushing the crown. Any idea?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, all. Sorry for the noob question but

I really dig the dial on the 170862, but I'm not huge on the case shape. Wondering if anyone knows

1) which other cases would fit
2) how easy/doable would it be to swap cases and keep it water-resistant, like can i do that relatively fool-proof at home and/or get someone here to do it possibly?
3) if it's possible to remove the GMT hand easily
bonus 4) this is a pretty new watch, right? like it's still possible they make it in the 420 cases later? if so, maybe it's worth waiting?

(aside: i have a raketa big zero that seems to lose like, a god 5+ minutes by the end of the day if i set it in the morning. anyone have any idea if this is something i can fix at home if i get the tools or would i need to take it somewhere?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
957 Posts

I really dig the dial on the 170862, but I'm not huge on the case shape. Wondering if anyone knows

2) how easy/doable would it be to swap cases and keep it water-resistant, like can i do that relatively fool-proof at home and/or get someone here to do it possibly?
bonus 4) this is a pretty new watch, right? like it's still possible they make it in the 420 cases later? if so, maybe it's worth waiting?

(aside: i have a raketa big zero that seems to lose like, a god 5+ minutes by the end of the day if i set it in the morning. anyone have any idea if this is something i can fix at home if i get the tools or would i need to take it somewhere?)

Thanks!

I feel the same and have been waiting for 710 cases to come back in stock at Meranom. They come with a crystal and crown so I’m presuming that it’s a two screw job and done.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thanks!
1. All new Amphibia and Komandirskie stainless steel cases (020, 060, 090, 100, 110, 120 etc.). For 420 and 710 you need a crown with a short stem and for the 060 one with a medium length stem, all sold seperately at meranom.com and komandirskie.com.
2. Open the case with a case opener, remove the gasket, unlock the crown by pushing the stem release button carefully with a toothpick. Take out the movement, put it into its new case, insert the crown carefully. If it doesn't "click" use a tweezer to grab the stem and push it a little further into the movement. When the crown is inserted, put back the gasket, the caseback and the ring, close the back by turning the ring with the case opener - done. There are some pictures here in the forum to describe how to do it, it's pretty easy.
3. To remove the GMT hand, use a hand removal tool and use it very carefully. Protect the dial with a thin sheet of paper and cover the hands with transparent plastic foil. There are a couple of youtube videos showing how to set and remove hands on a Vostok Amphibia. If you don't have the right tools and/or no experience with removing and setting hands, ask a watchmaker to do this for you. Or use an old beaten watch for practicing first. Otherwise you might ruin hands or dial (or both).
4. Personally, I don't expect that this watch will be issued in a 420 case in the future. Better buy a 420 case and sell the 170 if you don't like it.
5. I am no expert in Raketas but every mechanical movement that I know has at least a lever to regulate it and many also have a screw for fine tuning. So basically you don't need any special tool for that. But to regulate a watch without having to check the accuracy for over a day or so you need a timegrapher to show you how accurate the watch keeps time and how much the accuracy changes when pushing the lever.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
5+ minutes per day sounds like some defect of the movement, though. You probably won't be able to fix that with regulating only.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ah thanks. Now I'm actually considering getting a different watch and putting a favinov dial and hands in, so that would def get outsourced to a watchmaker or someone here if possible. i think even if i felt like i could follow youtube directions on changing things, i am so paranoid about messing something up and water getting in the case the first time i'm at the pool or something, so would rather have someone with experience do it lol

EDIT:

Yeah so I bought a watch and am deciding on which favinov dial and hands i'm gonna go with. is there an up-to-date list of users who would do something like that? and rough price estimate? my wife & daughter decided to pay for the watch/parts/repair for father's day, so I'm trying to figure out what the total is :)

Thanks for any help!

OH bonus, i have this caseback as well, would this also fit on a new 420 case? the placement of those little notches seems to be a little different but i'm not sure how much that matters.

IMG_3209.jpg

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
rainbowbattlekid:

1. Where are you located? We can suggest several guys to do the work if we know where you are.

2. That caseback should fit the new 420.

Cheers, and welcome to the forum
Matt

·
Registered
96 Posts
1) United States, DC

2) awesome. i don't have the tool to remove the caseback, but the watch it's attached to has water inside it, so i'm not sure how safe it is to try shipping that with another watch hmm.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
rainbowbattlekid:

He's in the midwest and a member of this forum.
He can do mods.
Tell him also about that caseback and the water issue and I'm sure he'll have some suggestions.

·
Registered
957 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hello comrades, does anyone know if the case back on this watch is screw - off or is it pop - off?
I was not able to find a dimple in the case to get a tool into, it needs regulation. thank you, James.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello comrades, does anyone know if the case back on this watch is screw - off or is it pop - off?
I was not able to find a dimple in the case to get a tool into, it needs regulation. thank you, James.
Should be a screw down back, the notches on the edge are for an opening tool

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 7 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
The watch looks pristine. Great maintenance Comrade @Jimzilla

621 - 640 of 645 Posts