WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
801 - 820 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks for all of the help from the people here. Just swapped out the strap and bezel on my first amphibia to get it to where I wanted.

I've already got my next amphibia planned out, a white dialed one with a silver baikal bezel. Just waiting for blue steel hands to come back into stock! Y'all have lead me into one addicting hobby...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks for all of the help from the people here. Just swapped out the strap and bezel on my first amphibia to get it to where I wanted. View attachment 15933608
I've already got my next amphibia planned out, a white dialed one with a silver baikal bezel. Just waiting for blue steel hands to come back into stock! Y'all have lead me into one addicting hobby...
Hey man that looks great! The explorer bezel is pretty uncommon with Vostok mods, really cool choice. Nice blend of utility and dressy. The shark mesh is a nice match too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anybody have an unusually hard time putting their stems back in after removal? Something about these Vostok movements.

Every time I remove the stem it's like any other watch, pretty straightforward. But placing the stem back in always seems to take an usual amount of pressure force on the little pressure plate/catch, I'm always worried i'm going too hard but otherwise it won't click in. Is this just a characteristic of Russian movements?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Question for the resident experts...........
Do the hand sets for the 24XX movements fit the 2209 movements?
thank you in advance, James.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Anybody have an unusually hard time putting their stems back in after removal? Something about these Vostok movements.

Is this just a characteristic of Russian movements?
Many of us sometimes have to wrestle with the stems to install them.

Some folks have better luck by first pulling the stem out to the Time Setting position, before removing the stem.
This can make installation easier, but not always.

The square section of the stem, near the tip, must be aligned to fit into the square hole of the gear it turns inside the Keyless Works. Simply remove the stem, turn it sligtly, then try again to install it. Sometimes you have to do this several times until the parts align properly.

Perhaps there are easier methods, but that is what I do.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Do the hand sets for the 24XX movements fit the 2209 movements?
24x hands: 1.40 x 0.88 x 0.17 mm

22x hands: 1.40 x 0.86 x 0.22 mm
I personally have not tried to install 24x hands onto 22xx movements.

I don't know how easily you can make the Minute hand fit.
Obviously, the hand hole must be reduced in size.
There are several methods that watchmakers use.
I have used solder to first fill the hole then open it up to the required size.
It is not the method usually used by watchmakers, but it works for me. You will damage the paint in the area though, so you will have to re-paint it.

The Seconds hand is not an easy modification but if the hand tube is thick enough, you may be able to drill it larger, but you would probably need a jeweler's cutting broach. That would be difficult since there is no hole on the top side of the tube to allow the broach to pass as you work it in the tube.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hi Matt nice to hear from you, wow that is a little more complex than I thought. I may have to find the "Possum King" and see what he can do for me. I wonder if anyone makes hand sets for the 2209'S ... ? thank you Matt, have a good one.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I may have to find the "Possum King" and see what he can do for me.

I wonder if anyone makes hand sets for the 2209'S ...
PossumKing is a good start.

IgorIV may be able to help. He makes several 24xx hands with the vintage USSR length but I believe the holes are for 24xx movements - this is to allow us to make homage pieces.
He may be able to make a set of hands, or at least the Minute hand, with the 22xx size hole. The Minute hand would be the easiest for him to modify since the hole is flat with no tube.

Hand re-sizing:

How to close hour hands hole with a staking tool

From that thread:
- to close the hole of a flat faced hand hole:

...." a round faced punch slightly larger than the hole and rest the hand on a flat portion of the staking tool's anvil [or any very hard flat surface] with no hole under it. Center the round faced punch in the hole and tap it lightly. Try for fit, do it again if neccessary. It will make the hole in the hand concave but will close it up in diameter."

"I've found that the purpose-made "hole closing" punches don't work as well for closing the holes in flat hands as a round faced punch and and a flat faced punch do. Not to mention it's hard to find hole closing punches that small to begin with. Another disadvantage is that they create an indented circle around the hole, which can be unsightly. "
- quotes: unreformed66

I would use the above method. It works.
0.88 down to 0.86 is a very small amount and would only require a small deformation of the hole. It's easy to do and you could easily make a 'round faced' punch if necessary.

For larger reductions I often use the solder method, but I often work with solder and soldering irons so I am comfortable with it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thank you for all the good information Matt, I recently had an interest in the 119 cased vostoks so I picked up a couple. I did not know parts were at a premium. can you swap in a 24XX movement into the 119 cases? does the movement ring fit a 24XX? that would solve my problem of building a new looking franken watch as I have the dial and hand set.
Let me know Matt and have a great day my friend, James.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hi James,

One person who would know the answer is Matt Brace.
Mario may also know as he owns many 119's.

Here is some info. to help you get started:

"...any new Amphibia with short stem (420, 710 etc...)
You'll need the movement holder and stem with crown from that.

Both hand-wound movements will fit: 2409 / 2414 "

( I don't remember who said this. But the forum member had success with this.)

The 22xx movement holder can be modified to fit a 24xx with hand tools for those who want to keep the original holder.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thank you for all the good information Matt, I recently had an interest in the 119 cased vostoks so I picked up a couple. I did not know parts were at a premium. can you swap in a 24XX movement into the 119 cases? does the movement ring fit a 24XX? that would solve my problem of building a new looking franken watch as I have the dial and hand set.
Let me know Matt and have a great day my friend, James.
Hello Jim,

I think you can swap the 2209 with the 2409 (i'm planing on doing it too). Just need to swap the movement ring and the crown if i'm not wrong

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Great!!! and thank you Matt and Victorv, I have everything I need so I will see if it works and post results. best regards and have a wonderful day comrades, James.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
So far so good. I test fit the parts and it winds and moves the gears for setting time so it seems good to go. I do not know how much room I will have for setting the hands but I guess I will find out tomorrow and post results. These Vostoks are amazing little marvels, I took a case with a 2209 in it, swapped in a 2409 movement using a crown from a 420 case and it works!!!!
Impressive is all I can say.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
So far so good. I test fit the parts and it winds and moves the gears for setting time so it seems good to go. I do not know how much room I will have for setting the hands but I guess I will find out tomorrow and post results. These Vostoks are amazing little marvels, I took a case with a 2209 in it, swapped in a 2409 movement using a crown from a 420 case and it works!!!!
Impressive is all I can say.
Super nice Jim

Did you use the 2409 movement ring right?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Yes 2409 movement with crown from 420 case. I will post the finished watch tomorrow Victorv, hane a good evening comrade, James..

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Here you go Victorv, and yes I did use the 2409 movement ring. Everything dropped right in, it was easy.
Super nice Jim

I like so much your mod. I'm planing on doing the same, but i want to suit a 3 6 9 12 blue vostok dial that is on my way haha.

When i do it i will show you the results, and many thanks fot confirming that i need the 2409 movement ring

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I do know these watches were building are franken and we may be scoffed and laughed at by some of the purist's on this site but you have to admit they are beautiful and made with factory parts.
I am just as proud to wear this watch as I would a rare collectable specimen. I cannot wait to see yours Victorv, have a great day sir, James.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't worry about the "purists" - as Vostoks are the perfect base for all kinds of moddings (as you well know) and your beautiful watch(es) will be much admired by all creative modders around.(y)

Reactions: Matt_Bored_O

·
Registered
130 Posts
A technical question: A couple of days ago I built a new mod and changed hands on a movement that works perfectly well (+1 sec./day) on the balance side (according to my timegrapher) but now loses about 15-20 minutes per hour(!) on the hands' side. Any idea, where this strange behaviour might come from?

Reactions: Matt_Bored_O
801 - 820 of 853 Posts