WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
841 - 853 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
1. Can the crown be separated from the stem,

- and a different (non-vostok) crown be put on the Vostok stem?
1. The crown cannot be easily removed. You must drill a hole though the top of the crown to remove the stem.
A Vostok stem has a clutch system that uses a specially shaped stem end which fits into a special cavity in the crown. Therefore, you cannot install a non Vostok crown onto a Vostok stem.
You must cut the Vostok stem and attach it to the non Vostok stem that is attached to the desired crown.

See this tutorial: Removing a Vostok stem from a standard crown:

#532 - Kamburov
--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK...

The three best methods to attach a non-Vostok crown onto a Vostok stem:

1st method:
- by joining the Vostok stem to a stub of the non-Vostok stem that is attached to the non-Vostok crown.
-- see diagram

2nd method:
- if the non-Vostok crown uses a tapped hole to attach the stem, you can cut threads onto the Vostok stem, (after cutting off the Vostok crown). Then simply screw in the Vostok stem into the non-Vostok crown.
PROBLEM: the Vosok stem MUST be the correct diameter AND correct lenghth but no smaller than the stem required for the non-Vostok crown. You must also have the correct size die to cut the new threads.

3rd method:
- attach the Vostok stem into the threaded hole of the crown by using very strong glue such as epoxy or J-B Weld or similar. This may not be as strong or reliable as the other methods. Also, the threaded hole may have to be drilled larger and the wall of the threaded hole may not be thick enough to create a wider hole. Also, the Vostok stem may be too large and you must grind it to a smaller diameter. If the stem is too small a diameter, it may be a weak joint.

The first method may be the best in this particular situation.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Circle

diagram: mine (you may use it freely)

·
Registered
72 Posts
1. The crown cannot be easily removed. You must drill a hole though the top of the crown to remove the stem.

Matt, that is a very detailed reply and I thank you. Diagram is very helpful as well. I think the brass tube and solder sounds like the best choice in this situation.

If I find myself in Canada I owe you a beer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, my first post here. I just ordered my first vostok - the 420 case Amphibia and have been on this page trying to find current sellers for replacement bezels that are low profile. I apologize if this is a repetitive question but who sells bezels that do not sit proud of the diameter of the case, and that sits low/flush with the height? I keep seeing replacement bezels the have a gap between the case and the bezel, or ones that are just really thick bezels to close that gap - i think both look ugly and will be annoying to wear. I have also seen around that you can use skx bezels, is this true and does it apply to all of them?

I have also been considering clean bezels, but most I have seen are super bulky and have a very dramatic slope, so does anyone know where I can find a more subtle one of these?

Lastly, the paint on the stock bezel (the one with red and black circles at each hour) - is it removable with something like acetone?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
1. who sells bezels that do not sit proud of the diameter of the case, and that sits low/flush with the height?

I keep seeing replacement bezels the have a gap between the case and the bezel, or ones that are just really thick bezels to close that gap - i think both look ugly and will be annoying to wear. I have also seen around that you can use skx bezels, is this true and does it apply to all of them?

2. the paint on the stock bezel (the one with red and black circles at each hour)
- is it removable with something like acetone?

Hi Christopher,

Most bezels of a smaller diameter and lower height are most often the standard original, non-insert Vostok bezels that come with the Amphibia and Komandirskie.
Nearly all replacement or 'after-market' bezels are wide because they use the Seiko SKX bezel inserts.

All bezels produced to fit Vostok use the same size inserts: SKX (SKX007)
* except bezels from: AM-Diver and Meranom -- these use a different size / shape

The width of the inserts dictates the width of the bezel, so it is difficult to have a bezel with an outer diameter of less than 39mm. The insert width also dictates that the bezels must be a certain minimum height, or thickness, so that the top part of the bezel with the insert is high enough to clear the crown of the smaller case models. Thus many bezels are made with a smaller diameter lower portion, or skirt, and a wider top portion. This skirt allows space for the crown, especially for the smaller cases.

Width: All bezels that use Seiko SKX inserts are always 39 - 40 mm wide -- minimum
They cannot have a smaller outside diameter becase the insert is 38mm OD.

Height / Thickness: All bezels that use Seiko SKX inserts are always:
3.5 mm thick -- minimum. Most are 4 mm and taller.​

One of the replacement bezels with the lowest height is a 'Murphy' bezel:
Murphy Manufacturing

Here is a comparison to a similar bezel by 'arkustime':

photo: ? (labels - mine)​

One of the most minimalist designs using an insert is the 'arkustime smooth edge' bezel.
It is not much smaller than many other bezels but its design gives it a smaller and less obtrusive appearance. It is a good choice for a minimalist insert bezel.

photo and seller: arkustime​

'Clean' Bezels:

There are two types of 'clean' bezel:
  • angled slope
  • 'vintage' or rounded style

Perhaps the rounded style is better for you.

Here are two examples:

photo and seller: sale4you1 (there may be other sellers)

photo: HorstSt
bezel: previous sellers: zavar011 / sale4you1 (there may be other sellers)
- it may be produced again. Ask sellers for info.
----------------

Modifying / Machining a Bezel to Alter the Diameter or Shape:

Consider this if you cannot find a bezel of the size or shape you prefer.
Some of us have altered our bezels using simple tools.

For example, to reduce the diameter of any bezel:
  • you can put a bezel onto a wood or plastic dowel or rod to hold it as you rotate the bezel edge against a belt or disc sander.
  • make a simple jig that holds the bezel at a precise distance from the sander and that allows you to rotate it against the sander. The exact amount of metal will be removed evenly around the circumference.

* caution: if the bezel uses an insert: you must keep a narrow outer lip for the insert channel to protect the edge of the insert.
** caution: you cannot reduce the outer diameter of a clean bezel too much:
the inner channel for the wire spring may be exposed and damaged.
-- you can safely remove 0.75 mm from the average clean bezel for a total reduction in diameter of 1.5mm. That is a good amount.

To reduce the height of a clean bezel: press the top face against a belt or disc sander.
The height of most bezels with an insert cannot really be altered. The insert sits only a very small amount below the top face of the bezel. If the insert is fully exposed, it may be easily damaged.

Remember: you cannot reduce the height of a bezel by grinding down the bottom face.
The face is thin and helps to create the channel for the wire spring.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Acetone will remove the paint from all standard Vostok produced bezels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Christopher,

Most bezels of a smaller diameter and lower height are most often the standard original, non-insert Vostok bezels that come with the Amphibia and Komandirskie.
Nearly all replacement or 'after-market' bezels are wide because they use the Seiko SKX bezel inserts.

All bezels produced to fit Vostok use the same size inserts: SKX (SKX007)
* except bezels from: AM-Diver and Meranom -- these use a different size / shape

The width of the inserts dictates the width of the bezel, so it is difficult to have a bezel with an outer diameter of less than 39mm. The insert width also dictates that the bezels must be a certain minimum height, or thickness, so that the top part of the bezel with the insert is high enough to clear the crown of the smaller case models. Thus many bezels are made with a smaller diameter lower portion, or skirt, and a wider top portion. This skirt allows space for the crown, especially for the smaller cases.

Width: All bezels that use Seiko SKX inserts are always 39 - 40 mm wide -- minimum
They cannot have a smaller outside diameter becase the insert is 38mm OD.

Height / Thickness: All bezels that use Seiko SKX inserts are always:
3.5 mm thick -- minimum. Most are 4 mm and taller.​

One of the replacement bezels with the lowest height is a 'Murphy' bezel:
Murphy Manufacturing

Here is a comparison to a similar bezel by 'arkustime':

View attachment 16058136
photo: ? (labels - mine)​

One of the most minimalist designs using an insert is the 'arkustime smooth edge' bezel.
It is not much smaller than many other bezels but its design gives it a smaller and less obtrusive appearance. It is a good choice for a minimalist insert bezel. View attachment 16057322
photo and seller: arkustime​

'Clean' Bezels:

There are two types of 'clean' bezel:
  • angled slope
  • 'vintage' or rounded style

Perhaps the rounded style is better for you.

Here are two examples:

View attachment 16057001
photo and seller: sale4you1 (there may be other sellers)
View attachment 16057005
photo: HorstSt
bezel: previous sellers: zavar011 / sale4you1 (there may be other sellers)
- it may be produced again. Ask sellers for info.
----------------

Modifying / Machining a Bezel to Alter the Diameter or Shape:

Consider this if you cannot find a bezel of the size or shape you prefer.
Some of us have altered our bezels using simple tools.
For example, you can put a bezel onto a wood or plastic dowel or rod to hold it as you rotate the bezel edge against a belt or disc sander. This will reduce the diameter of any bezel.

* caution: if the bezel uses an insert: you must keep a narrow outer lip for the insert channel
** caution: you cannot reduce the outer diameter of a clean bezel too much:
the inner channel for the wire spring may be exposed and damaged.

To reduce the height of a clean bezel: press the top face against a belt or disc sander.
The height of most bezels with an insert cannot really be altered. The insert sits only a very small amount below the top face of the bezel. If the insert is fully exposed, it may be easily damaged.
Remember: you cannot reduce the height of a bezel by grinding down the bottom face.
The face is thin and helps to create the channel for the wire spring.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Acetone will remove the paint from all standard Vostok produced bezels.
wow thank you so much. this was far more informative and thorough than I thought id get. answered p much all my questions - my watch will be here in mid to late october so im really looking forward to using your advice. thanks so much again!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a (what I think is an) interesting question for the minds here: What was the smallest 200m amphibia ever produced, including vintage, rare/experimental models, and other wise?

·
Registered
130 Posts
In my parts box, I found two Vostok caseback rings that do not fit to any Amphibia caseback (both the standard automatic and the flat one for handwinding movements). Their inner diameter is just a little too small. The outer diameter and the thread fit to the Amphibia cases without any problem. Does anybody know to which kind of caseback these rings might belong?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
In my parts box, I found two Vostok caseback rings that do not fit to any Amphibia caseback (both the standard automatic and the flat one for handwinding movements). Their inner diameter is just a little too small. The outer diameter and the thread fit to the Amphibia cases without any problem. Does anybody know to which kind of caseback these rings might belong?
They are auto-Komandirskie rings for the case types 09, 52 and 92 etc., some of the casebacks for these have an orca whale or Russian coat of arms (double-headed eagle) some casebacks are rather plain with just the Russian words for automatic and waterproof...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks so much! You've helped me a lot with your expertise!(y) I found two of these old Orca casebacks in my Vostok collection and one of them was fastened with a "standard" Amphibia ring, the other with another one of these slightly smaller rings. So I swapped the standard one with a "correct" smaller one from my box and now I can complete one mod that had been lacking a standard ring before.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am interested in purchasing this watch new however I have no experience in the process. I have noticed that this watch is available from several sites at varying prices.
It would appear to be available direct from the Vostok factory for aprox $180 US ? Most all the other sellers I see are a bit more money. So am I missing something here?
Am I missing some info on availability / Shipping ? Any info or help appreciated.

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Material property

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am interested in purchasing this watch new however I have no experience in the process. I have noticed that this watch is available from several sites at varying prices.
It would appear to be available direct from the Vostok factory for aprox $180 US ? Most all the other sellers I see are a bit more money. So am I missing something here?
Am I missing some info on availability / Shipping ? Any info or help appreciated.
I bought a Vostok off of the factory website and it was indeed cheaper versus other shops. Shipping was the same.

841 - 853 of 853 Posts