WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my grandfather gave me three pocketwatches several years ago--a Hamilton 992, a Burlington Special, and a Waltham. As I recall, two are railroad watches. One belonged to my grandfather who worked on the Erie Lackawanna/Erie RR from the 40's until early 70's when he retired. The other belonged to his father who worked on the Pennsylvania RR in the early parts of the 20th century.

The S/N are: Hamilton 1321000 (doesn't run); Burlington 2757708 (runs, but I can't set the hands); Waltham Vanguard 29454600 (runs; second hand is off, but Grampa kept it & I have it)

Any information or research guidance you could provide would be most appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
The Hamilton Grade 992L was made in 1916 and certainly qualifies as a railroad grade watch.
The Burlington Special was made by the Illinois Watch Co. in 1915 and may be a railroad grade watch as well. I'd have to see a photo of the movement to be sure.
The Waltham Vanguard is certainly a railroad grade 23 Jewel watch and was made in 1937.
So the Vanguard is likely your grandfather's and your great-grandfather may have owned the other two.
These are all fine watches - especially the Vanguard and the Hamilton - and since they are also family heirlooms they are good candidates to have restored. If you could post photographs of the movements we'd love to see them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts