WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'd like to thank everybody here for the wealth of information they have provided me for over a year. I've been lurking on this forum to learn more about Breitlings, and I've finally arrived at the decision that I need to get a Breitling on my wrist. For that, I thank you all.

My ONLY reservation is that Breitlings are pretty flashy. I'm not talking cost, I'm talking about reflecting light. FLASHY. I've gotten kinda good at it, and can spot a Breitling from about 30 feet away now. I won't be able to tell you the difference between a new SuperOcean and an older one...but I can you a Colt from a SuperOcean. What I can also tell you is that its flashy.

Are there any subdued (non-vintage) Breitlings out there? I don't really care about the dial color...but I do really care about the bezel (very noticeable) and the case (the bracelet isn't that big of a deal since it can be replaced...but the bracelet usually matches the casing/bezel pretty well).

I know that some consider this "flash" a part of why they have a Breitling, but I prefer a less flashy watch. I don't want to get a completely stealth watch...but maybe something that can't be identified from 30 feet away in the California sun.

Any chance this is a possibility?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Least flashy models (imo): Steelfish, Colt Quartz, Seawolf, Seawolf Chrono, Blackbird (brushed version), Emergency (hmmm...kind of, I guess), superocean heritage (on strap), Aerospace.

I call them less flashy because they dont have the polished finish.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I get what you're saying. Have felt the same way about the brand's offerings, and it kept me away for years. A little more than a month ago, I acquired the new SS Avenger Seawolf. The only polished parts on the watch are the sides of the case and the inner bezel ring that sits above the crystal edge. The rest of the steel has a brushed finish. I do not think it's any more flashy than an Omega, for example. At any rate, it works for me...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I agree that titanium may be a good option for you. Here are my Emergency and Aerospace.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I recommend you the SuperOcean Steelfish if you're looking for a big-size watch (44mm). Or the Colt Quartz if you're looking for a smaller size one (41mm). They're both brushed stainless steel and not at all blingy or flashy. You can make them even more restrained if you get a rubber or leather strap.

However, if you're looking for a watch with a slimmer profile (I mean less thick), check the Aerospace. It is made of Titanium, extremely light, and reflections from the Titanium is zero.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Least flashy models (imo): Steelfish, Colt Quartz, Seawolf, Seawolf Chrono, Blackbird (brushed version), Emergency (hmmm...kind of, I guess), superocean heritage (on strap), Aerospace.
I call them less flashy because they dont have the polished finish.
I do think we could add Navitimer line on that list :
due to its slide rule bezel and a largely open dial, Navi on strap (calf or croc) is just perfect, IMO.
This watch is easily spotted on wrists, but that's due to its iconic and familiar face quite more than any flashy sight...

Cheers,
Brice

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hello Hal C On,

I'll second Brice's sound advice regarding the Navitimer on strap.
What looks flashy on a watch head is usually the large bezel, even more so when it's polished. But the Navitimer design doesn't reflect much of the sun light.

On a slightly different note, as it's been said, no one pays attention to the watch you are wearing; so just get what you like! ;-)

Cheers
Don

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
Don, that is a beautiful pic of a great watch!

I also love the strap, could you please let me know (PM) where you got it from?

Thanks

Hello Hal C On,

I'll second Brice's sound advice regarding the Navitimer on strap.
What looks flashy on a watch head is usually the large bezel, even more so when it's polished. But the Navitimer design doesn't reflect much of the sun light.

On a slightly different note, as it's been said, no one pays attention to the watch you are wearing; so just get what you like! ;-)

Cheers
Don

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Try this one....

Ok the head is a little flashy but that gives you a good excuse for a decent pair of sunglasses :-d

1 - 20 of 33 Posts