WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been looking around this forum almost constantly for a week, much to my wife's annoyance, and I wanted to say hello before I start posting replies to other people's posts.

I'm a bit of a watch enthusiast but unfortunately not a particularly wealthy one (no rolex or tag for me yet) and i have learnt loads from reading posts on this forum like the fact that tissot watches are very affordable (even though they sponsor a lot of grand prixs) and that omega are a fantastic brand after assuming for many years they were a bit cheap!!

Anyway its my birthday in a few weeks and I'm in the market for a new watch for more dressy occasions. My collection is limited, I have a couple of gshocks that i use for daily wear and an old 'fishbone' that i found once and just really liked it.

I'm looking at spending about £200 - £400 and I currently have my eye on a couple of bulovas (big fan of this brand) and a couple of citizens but was wondering if anyone could recommend some other reputable brands that sell watches in the above price range?

It's quite difficult to know what is a good or bad watch in terms of mechanics unless you're an expert and so i turn to you guys...

Many thanks in advance for any advice :)

Matt

Sent from my screwdriver using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Hi, for this sort of money I would look at the Seiko Cocktail time for a dress watch, cracking looking watch, great company, good value for money and good quality for the money.

Can somebody post a pic. for me of this watch, I'm on my iPad and can't seem to load one.

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies :) I should say that the kind of watch I'm after is something like this

uploadfromtaptalk1372578933776.jpg

Or i have just found this beauty on offer

I bought my wife a bulova for our anniversary so i know they are reliable but what about the seiko? Looks lovely especially as it's half the price of the one above and I nearly pressed the 'buy' button twice already today!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matt!

Bulova is owned by Citizen who make solid watches, along with Seiko, and kinetic is cool technology. You'll do just fine with either I'm sure.

The only thing you might want to check is whether they have sapphire crystal - it's practically unscratchable which is preferable to mineral glass which eventually will show them.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Mineral glass is okay, but sapphire is preferable - that's all. If there's an option with it in budget you may wish to consider it - that's all.

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Mineral glass is okay, but sapphire is preferable - that's all.
carries a slight premium, but always preferable (in my book) , some say it doesn't matter , but it does lol

Should be the 2nd tick you tick

Watch looks good? - TICK
Sapphire? - TICK

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
That Seiko kinetic is a good looking watch blurring the line between casual and dress. Remember with kinetic it charges with you wearing it, so you'll have to become nearly a one man watch. And Geoff is right, mineral glass is okay, but sapphire is preferable. If you scratch mineral glass so it distracts you it's easily replaced (with even sapphire!).

Reactions: Mattboyslim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't realise the kinetic charge didn't last long so I guess that one is out. May have to go for a quartz as I'm a bricklayer so would only wear a nice watch at weekends

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I didn't realise the kinetic charge didn't last long so I guess that one is out. May have to go for a quartz as I'm a bricklayer so would only wear a nice watch at weekends

Kinetic is quartz battery powered with a rotor to charge the battery so it doesn't need replacing (as opposed to a standard quartz/battery which would need replacing every say 5-10 years, though this is very inexpensive anyway). They have battery-saving measures in place if not used for a while. Other technologies are citizen's eco drives which charges the battery with light.

Any of the above will suit just fine I'm sure, though maybe get a g-shock if you're a bricky - even sapphire may not hold up to daily brushes with the rough stuff.

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Any of the above will suit just fine I'm sure, though maybe get a g-shock if you're a bricky - even sapphire may not hold up to daily brushes with the rough stuff.

I'm in the market for a new watch for more dressy occasions.
I don't think his day job is the 'more dressy occasions' he was thinking of , unless he's building something for the queen - what what :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372584216.777676.jpg
How about a Seiko Monster. Affordable automatic. Black face also...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kinetic is quartz battery powered with a rotor to charge the battery so it doesn't need replacing (as opposed to a standard quartz/battery which would need replacing every say 5-10 years, though this is very inexpensive anyway). They have battery-saving measures in place if not used for a while. Other technologies are citizen's eco drives which charges the battery with light.

So if i was to buy the seiko kinetic and only wore it on weekends would it still work ok or would I have to keep resetting the time?

PS I already have a couple of gshocks and a cheap 15 pound casio for work :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts