WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
So if i was to buy the seiko kinetic and only wore it on weekends would it still work ok or would I have to keep resetting the time?
If you wore it only on weekends it would moderately charge for the week, but the rechargeable battery would not last as long as if worn all or half the time. A fully charged battery = longevity. I would choose from Citizen's Eco Drive models. Solar is easy.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
If you wore it only on weekends it would moderately charge for the week, but the rechargeable battery would not last as long as if worn all or half the time. A fully charged battery = longevity. I would choose from Citizen's Eco Drive models. Solar is easy.
I read that kinetic has a 6 month pr when fully charged though I can't find that now...

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Trust me it's not Kinetic and it's great value for money and it's dressy and casual.

This one.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I read that kinetic has a 6 month pr when fully charged though I can't find that now...
You're right, it does, but you can't keep it fully charged unless worn frequently.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
A thought occurs: a dress watch is worn a lot of the times 'hidden' under a shirt cuff , so reducing the time for charge possibilities even more?
that's solar, not kinetic.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Welcome. Members here have posted recommendations for 4 kinds of watches, and I think we may be confusing the OP. So permit me, at the risk of explaining what Mattboyslim may already know, some differences in the technologies. Briefly and incompletely.

Watches like the Seiko Cocktail Time are automatics; that is, mechanical watches that rely on being wound, either by the stem or by the movement of the wearers' arm. These watches, if not worn, typically run down in 40 hours or so.

The others all use quartz technology, an oscillating crystal that keeps the watch running on time. (1) Some use a battery, which must be replaced (on the order of) 3 - 7 years. BTW, generally battery changes are cheap and can even be do-it-yourself if you're only a bit handy. (2) The Eco and Solar watches use light to charge an internal battery or capacitor, and can last the life of the watch. If fully charged, they can run for months, and will keep charged if exposed to light regularly. (3) The Seiko Kinetic is also a quartz watch, but it uses the wearers' wrist movement to keep charged in a manner similar to the automatic (mechanical) watches. It can hold a charge for months as well.

There is much more to be said about this (and it all has been said on this forum), but I will add that the quartz watches generally are more accurate, practical, and economical, whereas the mechanical watches are generally considered to be aesthetically preferable. Some will insist that mechanical watches have a soul. Some seem not to consider this metaphor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Wow! Thanks for all the replies, it's really appreciated. I was reading through them all again when I happened to walk past a watch shop (possibly a coincidence!) which had this one half price and so i bought it.

uploadfromtaptalk1372592843207.jpg

So far I'm over the moon, hopefully I will stay that way :)

Ps. Will post a real pic when I get it later

Thanks again

Sent from my screwdriver using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Nothing like a bargain.

Of course it's not a bargain if it's not what you really want.

You know what I mean already.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good catch! Just saw this thread. Fortunately you did not pick up a Seiko Kinetic. I have one and its a disappointment - no way it will hold charge for a week, let alone 6 months. A couple of days perhaps if you wear it for a whole day. Maybe mine is faulty ... or it needs a new battery.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Good catch! Just saw this thread. Fortunately you did not pick up a Seiko Kinetic. I have one and its a disappointment - no way it will hold charge for a week, let alone 6 months. A couple of days perhaps if you wear it for a whole day. Maybe mine is faulty ... or it needs a new battery.
It must simply be a faulty watch - I have had Kinetic last much longer than that, and I have had Eco-Drives that hold a charge almost forever!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
View attachment 1139663

So now we've got to find you the 2nd new watch to buy .... :)
Ha ha! I'm already on the case mate. I have a watch box with 2 empty slots in it which MUST be filled. Wanting to find something a little less well known now... Probably a Christopher Ward. In fact I heard they have a sale coming up :what:

Sent from my screwdriver using Tapatalk 2

21 - 40 of 40 Posts