WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone knows a little bit more about this watch and how much it might be worth?

All I could find out after a search is that it's a Chronostop manual-wind from the 70s. Price range I think is about $300, however mine is not on an original bracelet so I'd imagine less than that.

Thx!,
Tim

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Looks like you got a nice authentic blue dialed geneva. Hands and dial look good and origianal too. The blue dial looks fantastic on a Hirsh brown leather strap.
Value? A lot of sellers are trying hard {and succeeding often enough} to up the value into the $400-$500 level. The SM chronostops generally bring in more as well. I really do love these watches but in all honesty they are not as functional as a 2-reg. chrono and I think their appeal is 2-fold: 1-I am pretty certain the movemnts {cal.865 or 920} are both all in-house Omega and 2.-they are just kind of quirky. But $300 is about right for a decent Geneva chronstop. With a little polywatch on the crystal your dial should light right up. Enjoy.

Any more info you want to know such as case ref #s/ models, variations, and styles? Go to this simple but comprehensive chronostop link and find out:

http://www.old-omegas.com/chronostop.html

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thats a 146.009 Geneve Chronostop, cal 920. I happen to have a very similar one, in the no-date version(cal 865), from my dad, which I just received back from an overhaul. I think it's a really cool watch, as Dabaeker said, it's quirky. Yours look to be in nice original condition, and with a service, a new crystal and a light refinish, it'll look fantastic. I'd say think it over well before selling it. Mine looked sort of dull before, and now with a new crystal, the dial and applied markers really pop.

Here's a pic of mine on a brown Hirsch sheep strap.

This watch may have existed with different dials.

More product information

Case : “barrel” shape, (35 mm diameter)
For leather straps of 18 mm lug-size
International Collection : 1968-1973
Swiss retail price (1968) : CHF 220- (dark grey, white dials) or CHF 225.- (brown, burgundy, blue, green dials)
AM
Genève - Chronostop

Gents' leather strap

Reference

ST 146.0009
International collection

Movement

• Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
  • Caliber number: 920
  • Created in 1968
    17 jewels
Functions
Date, Chronograph
Case

Stainless steel
Dimensions: Ø35 mm
Case back

• Screw-in
  • Full metal
Dial

Dark grey, white, brown, burgundy, blue, or green, with luminous "stick" hands.
Crystal

Armoured hesalite
Bracelet

Leather
Water resistance

30 meters

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks a lot for the info guys! To be honest, I'm not particularly crazy about this piece but it could just be the conditon (and the bracelet) it's in.

CDNWatchNut, yours looks absolutely pristine! (and is sorta changing my mind towards keeping it). Mind if I ask who you sent it to for restoration?

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I just had mine done by my local watchmaker. The one thing he could not do, as Bienne would have, is to restore the sunburst finish on the top side of the case. From what I gather, that's not an easy thing to do well, so if that's important to you, it'd probably be best to send it back to Omega.
I will add, that my expectations were greatly exceeded when I saw the transformation as a result of a light polish and a new crystal. I suspect that you might find the same thing and may feel differently about selling it. It may be worth a bit of expense to take it to a local watchmaker, have him clean up the case with a very light polish, minimizing removal of the remaining sunburst finish, and just polish the crystal and then see how you like it. If nothing else, it'll look much better for when you sell it.

Wow, thanks a lot for the info guys! To be honest, I'm not particularly crazy about this piece but it could just be the conditon (and the bracelet) it's in.

CDNWatchNut, yours looks absolutely pristine! (and is sorta changing my mind towards keeping it). Mind if I ask who you sent it to for restoration?

Cheers,
Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts