WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I recently bought my first (and last :) ) Omega Speedmaster. But I am bit confused about all different Speedmaster numbers, or merely the TITLES of the different numbers. ITs just plain confusing.

I just put em here in not particular order, if someone could comment why the titles for the numbers are so different in my Omega papers that what I am used to see :

1."Ref number" is said to me being 3570.50.00
(IS this the case number? I cant find this in my clocks papers, hence cant really confirm this)

2.Metal Ref : 441239XX (last digits cencored)
This "Metal Ref." is written in my Omega papers, International Guarantee papers. But when looking at Roman Hartmann's pages (http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/romans.html) , i believe this is SERIAL NUMBER, not Metal ref?

3.Mov.No. : ST 1450022
This Movement number is written in my omega papers, International Guarantee papers. And stated as "Mov No". Again, Roman Hartmann's pages seem to indicate that this number is in fact, Case Reference Number.

4.Year
Last but not least, Papers indicate Date as 2.X.88. (X=Cencored, but in February 1988) Meaning, this clock is sold 1988, and I believe this is the year 1988 model. Again, Hartmann's table indicates the clock is infact year model 1983 ? (My clock has Cal 861)

As I brought my clock weeks ago to local jeweller, one of the numbers matched with the movement (or the caseback, cant remember), it was either Metal Ref number or Mov.No...

Just trying to get some sense into this matter :) The Omega Papers DO look very authentic, with golden Omega stamp and everything...Actually "papers" is wrong term, I have only this small handsized red manual 30 pages in it, and the last page has all those titles for numbers and numbers are written there with ballpoint pen....
thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Apiggy back question

Can you tell the date of manufacture by the serial number. I am trying to figure out how age of my SMP.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Apiggy back question

Can you tell the date of manufacture by the serial number. I am trying to figure out how age of my SMP.

Thanks
If you mean by SMP a Speedmaster Professional, here http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/romans.html is a table and you need Case Reference Number, Cal number and serial number in order to track year of manufacture.

For instance, my Case Reference SHOULD be ST 145.0022, CAL 861, serial no 44XXXXXX so looking at the table, my clock should be 1983.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Hopefully, a little clarity

Anthony said:
Hello,

I recently bought my first (and last ) Omega Speedmaster. But I am bit confused about all different Speedmaster numbers, or merely the TITLES of the different numbers. ITs just plain confusing.
Welcome and congrats on Speedy! You're right; all those numbers can be a bit confusing. I'll try to clear it up, as well as I can.
I just put em here in not particular order, if someone could comment why the titles for the numbers are so different in my Omega papers that what I am used to see :

1."Ref number" is said to me being 3570.50.00
(IS this the case number? I cant find this in my clocks papers, hence cant really confirm this)
This is the Reference number (essentially the model number) of the Pro, since the mid-90s. Yours predates this, so the ref is 145.0022.
2.Metal Ref : 441239XX (last digits cencored)
This "Metal Ref." is written in my Omega papers, International Guarantee papers. But when looking at Roman Hartmann's pages (http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/romans.html) , i believe this is SERIAL NUMBER, not Metal ref?
Yes, this is the serial number, but it's sometimes referred to as the "Movement number," not to be confused with the movement caliber, which is c.861.
3.Mov.No. : ST 1450022
This Movement number is written in my omega papers, International Guarantee papers. And stated as "Mov No". Again, Roman Hartmann's pages seem to indicate that this number is in fact, Case Reference Number.
This is the Case Reference number which, during the period of your Speedy, is basically the same as the watch Reference number.
4.Year
Last but not least, Papers indicate Date as 2.X.88. (X=Cencored, but in February 1988) Meaning, this clock is sold 1988, and I believe this is the year 1988 model. Again, Hartmann's table indicates the clock is infact year model 1983 ? (My clock has Cal 861)
Keep in mind that those tables are approximate. The movement may have been made within a few years of '83, the watch assembled later, and sold at the dealer even later.
As I brought my clock weeks ago to local jeweller, one of the numbers matched with the movement (or the caseback, cant remember), it was either Metal Ref number or Mov.No...
Your watch should have a Reference number ST145.0022 and a Case reference number (on the inside of the caseback) ST1450022 or 145022 (can't recall which).
Just trying to get some sense into this matter The Omega Papers DO look very authentic, with golden Omega stamp and everything...Actually "papers" is wrong term, I have only this small handsized red manual 30 pages in it, and the last page has all those titles for numbers and numbers are written there with ballpoint pen....
thanks.
No problem. Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts