WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: long story ahead. Hope the pictures make it worth the read.

A few months ago, I traded for an Omega seamaster 300 master coaxial. I bought the speedy originally, as I loved the size and "iconic" (I hate that word) nature of the watch, but I was rather quickly turned off by all the nuances of owning a watch that hadn't changed really at all for some 40 years--winding it, buffing the damn hesalite crystal, having to manually hack it to sync the time... I get some people like that stuff, but it really wasn't for me, and it took me owning one to realize that. Ultimately, I traded it with a great member of the forum for the SM300MC, thinking that I wanted that vintage/timeless aesthetic of the speedmaster, but without those aforementioned things I considered a hassle. I also realized that, while I loved the speedmaster's look and design, I really preferred dive watches, and as I really enjoy fishing, swimming, and keeping my watch on at all times (including the shower), an all-powerful dive watch would tick those boxes. I tried very hard to find someone to trade me a 2500 PO, but they seemed to be getting rarer and rarer, especially the 42mm ones. Eventually, I settled on the SM300MC as a viable alternative because it was offered and I had no luck on a 42mm PO 2500. I figured the new antimagnetic movement--along with the nifty new Bond movie--was enough to have sold me on the watch. I went for the trade.

Fast forward to last week, where I finally acknowledged that I only liked the SM300MC because it had some of the looks of 2500 PO. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Omega's signature broad arrow hands, a trait I first saw in the PO 2500, and I loved that steel-colored bezel inner ring, which I also first saw on the PO 2500. In noticing those things, I realized I really disliked how they carried over to the SM300MC. I liked the steel inner ring being part of the bezel insert as the whole bezel could be replaced if it got damaged, whereas on the 300MC it appeared to be part of the case design itself (correct me if I'm wrong). I also disliked the single lonely broad arrow hand of the 300MC and that the stem of the hour hand didn't have a bar of lume on it. I also disliked the straight lugs, as they felt too "old school" and more of a borrowed aesthetic for an Omega watch (those twisted Bombe lugs are signature, man). In general, while I really enjoyed the SM300MC for a time, I overall disliked the blingy-ness of the polished surfaces, the shiny bezel, and the very boring/plain/afterthought rectangle-link bracelet. I know many disagree, but to me, it just didn't feel like a tool watch, although it was based on a great one from the past. It felt like some kind of memorabilia, some kind of "vintage edition," and not like a true continuation of the seamaster 300 line.

Enter the PO 2500 XL. Long story short, I found a seller on the Rolex Forums (sorry WUS) that was willing to trade up for my watch with a PO 2500. He had a 42mm 2500D and a 45.5mm 2500C. The moment I saw the 42mm 2500D, I jumped on him, asking to work out the trade. He already had an interested party, and shortly thereafter, he sold it to them. I was a bit heartbroken, but I didn't give up, and instead started considering the PO 2500 XL, since he had that one still available. I looked up pictures you all had posted of the XL on every strap known to man and God who listed their wrist size too, and while I was a bit worried the XL wouldn't be as timeless or what have you, I was happy to be looking at the watch I knew I should have just waited to trade for in the beginning--would have saved me a few shillings and such, but hey, this is a hobby where there's no such thing as saving money lol. I went ahead and worked out a trade deal with him for my SM300MC.

While all of you Omega WIS work your hardest to assure people that the 2500XL "isn't too thick like the 8500" and "it wears like a 44mm" (ROFL) and "wear what you want", I'll admit I was a bit worried that I made another mistake in not waiting for that seemingly perfect 42mm. I had once tried on a 45.5mm 8500 PO in the store, and I was absolutely not a fan. After a crummy day of missing my overnight Saturday morning delivery and having to wait at FedEx to pick up the watch at 6pm when the driver returned, I finally got the watch.

The moment I put it on, I instantly got it. Looking at the details of the watch--the double broad arrow hands, the curve of the bracelet, the sharply-scalloped matte bezel--I realized that THIS watch was the real continuation of the original Seamaster 300 line in so many ways. I also personally believe that the PO 2500 XL is also the quintessential modern Omega watch. It carries those signature broad arrow hands, the inner bezel ring, the curved bracelet, the hippocampus caseback, the twisted Bombe lugs, and the little thickened edge of the right side of the case that doubles as a crown guard. And while many don't like it, I find the manual helium escape valve to be kind of cool and unique in the context of a 600m dive watch. Having seen the new flashy POs in the store, the 2500 does look a tiny little bit "cheaper", but I find it to be a bit more versatile, fitting the everyday watch, the tool watch, and even a watch with business attire (probably not tux, but hey I'll probably try that at some point; sue me). It's also not like the Eiffel tower on the wrist in terms of height, which I extremely disliked about the 8500 PO. Unlike the newest POs, it doesn't only fit the sports niche, as I think Omega has been trying to establish with the line. I guess the 2500 PO is really some kind of reverse bastard child of the SM300MC and the newer POs. However that Oedipus thing works, I can dig it.

Below are some pictures of the watch on my wrist on the bracelet. I bought an OEM rubber strap, but that hasn't come in yet. I'll admit, some of the pictures are a bit weird because I wanted to capture how the watch looks from various "everyday" angles in addition to wrist shots that exaggerate the size for others' future reference. Also, I am 6' tall, 195lbs, a little chubby, and my wrist is 7.5" circumference. You all were right by the way, it does fit more like a 44mm watch ;)

IMG_3356.JPG IMG_3352.JPG IMG_3353.JPG IMG_3354.JPG IMG_3358.JPG IMG_3355.JPG

I was thoroughly surprised by how well it fits for such a large watch and how comfortable the bracelet is (I usually hate bracelets). I by no means have a very large wrist, although maybe larger than average. In retrospect, I have owned 45 and 46mm watches before and I flipped them quickly, so it was probably stupid that I got this before trying it on first. Boy oh boy, did I get lucky. I wanted to say thanks to all of WUS for all the resources you provided :) I hope this post can help someone else make their choice. If you got this far, thanks for reading my little story!

·
Registered
738 Posts
It's a great watch!! BTW I Love my 8500 as well securedownload.jpg

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Congrats! When I bought my PO, I was torn between the 2500 and the 8500. I fell in love with the 2500 and ultimately found a good price on one. It's a classic. BTW, which rubber strap did you pick up? The diver strap or the deployant? I prefer mine on the deployant strap the most, but it looks great on pretty much anything.

12821582_10201280160882580_4205160292016564198_n.jpg
12400537_10201094924251780_8218767115966834078_n.jpg
11205626_10200780084700988_4056608996324684376_n.jpg

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats! When I bought my PO, I was torn between the 2500 and the 8500. I fell in love with the 2500 and ultimately found a good price on one. It's a classic. BTW, which rubber strap did you pick up? The diver strap or the deployant? I prefer mine on the deployant strap the most, but it looks great on pretty much anything.

View attachment 8128010
View attachment 8128018
View attachment 8128026

Mesaboogie I used to follow you on Instagram before I remade my account!

I especially should say thanks to you, as your pictures helped get me into the PO 2500 a while ago. To answer your question, I bought the chunky 2500 PO rubber strap. I had one for my Speedmaster, and while it didn't fit too well, it was very comfortable. I'm excited to have a watch it will fit well on finally. Great shots though :) I may have to pick up a rubber deployant ...

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Congrats on finding 'the one'. My first PO was the 45.5mm 2500. I've since added the 42mm as well as a 45.5mm 8500.

The 45.5 2500 has been with me for 7 years and I will never part with it.

Sent from a tiny keyboard

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I have the black with white stitch and black with orange stitch OEM straps for my 2500 POs and they are both very difficult to get on. I had to bend the spring bars a bit on all four ends.

Not very impressed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Enjoyed your 'little' story, especially the part with you saying that your "a little chubby". I'm still chuckeling :).
The watch looks really good on you so congrats. It's a great feeling to be surprised by a watch and to really love it right from the get.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Mesaboogie I used to follow you on Instagram before I remade my account!

I especially should say thanks to you, as your pictures helped get me into the PO 2500 a while ago. To answer your question, I bought the chunky 2500 PO rubber strap. I had one for my Speedmaster, and while it didn't fit too well, it was very comfortable. I'm excited to have a watch it will fit well on finally. Great shots though :) I may have to pick up a rubber deployant ...

Thanks! I'm glad my pics helped you unite with the 2500. It's a great watch! The rubber diver strap is awesome. Makes the PO feel more rugged and ready for adventure. The deployant is a great inbetween for a dressy/sporty look. Enjoy the PO, bro!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Warning: long story ahead. Hope the pictures make it worth the read.

A few months ago, I traded for an Omega seamaster 300 master coaxial. I bought the speedy originally, as I loved the size and "iconic" (I hate that word) nature of the watch, but I was rather quickly turned off by all the nuances of owning a watch that hadn't changed really at all for some 40 years--winding it, buffing the damn hesalite crystal, having to manually hack it to sync the time... I get some people like that stuff, but it really wasn't for me, and it took me owning one to realize that. Ultimately, I traded it with a great member of the forum for the SM300MC, thinking that I wanted that vintage/timeless aesthetic of the speedmaster, but without those aforementioned things I considered a hassle. I also realized that, while I loved the speedmaster's look and design, I really preferred dive watches, and as I really enjoy fishing, swimming, and keeping my watch on at all times (including the shower), an all-powerful dive watch would tick those boxes. I tried very hard to find someone to trade me a 2500 PO, but they seemed to be getting rarer and rarer, especially the 42mm ones. Eventually, I settled on the SM300MC as a viable alternative because it was offered and I had no luck on a 42mm PO 2500. I figured the new antimagnetic movement--along with the nifty new Bond movie--was enough to have sold me on the watch. I went for the trade.

Fast forward to last week, where I finally acknowledged that I only liked the SM300MC because it had some of the looks of 2500 PO. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Omega's signature broad arrow hands, a trait I first saw in the PO 2500, and I loved that steel-colored bezel inner ring, which I also first saw on the PO 2500. In noticing those things, I realized I really disliked how they carried over to the SM300MC. I liked the steel inner ring being part of the bezel insert as the whole bezel could be replaced if it got damaged, whereas on the 300MC it appeared to be part of the case design itself (correct me if I'm wrong). I also disliked the single lonely broad arrow hand of the 300MC and that the stem of the hour hand didn't have a bar of lume on it. I also disliked the straight lugs, as they felt too "old school" and more of a borrowed aesthetic for an Omega watch (those twisted Bombe lugs are signature, man). In general, while I really enjoyed the SM300MC for a time, I overall disliked the blingy-ness of the polished surfaces, the shiny bezel, and the very boring/plain/afterthought rectangle-link bracelet. I know many disagree, but to me, it just didn't feel like a tool watch, although it was based on a great one from the past. It felt like some kind of memorabilia, some kind of "vintage edition," and not like a true continuation of the seamaster 300 line.

Enter the PO 2500 XL. Long story short, I found a seller on the Rolex Forums (sorry WUS) that was willing to trade up for my watch with a PO 2500. He had a 42mm 2500D and a 45.5mm 2500C. The moment I saw the 42mm 2500D, I jumped on him, asking to work out the trade. He already had an interested party, and shortly thereafter, he sold it to them. I was a bit heartbroken, but I didn't give up, and instead started considering the PO 2500 XL, since he had that one still available. I looked up pictures you all had posted of the XL on every strap known to man and God who listed their wrist size too, and while I was a bit worried the XL wouldn't be as timeless or what have you, I was happy to be looking at the watch I knew I should have just waited to trade for in the beginning--would have saved me a few shillings and such, but hey, this is a hobby where there's no such thing as saving money lol. I went ahead and worked out a trade deal with him for my SM300MC.

While all of you Omega WIS work your hardest to assure people that the 2500XL "isn't too thick like the 8500" and "it wears like a 44mm" (ROFL) and "wear what you want", I'll admit I was a bit worried that I made another mistake in not waiting for that seemingly perfect 42mm. I had once tried on a 45.5mm 8500 PO in the store, and I was absolutely not a fan. After a crummy day of missing my overnight Saturday morning delivery and having to wait at FedEx to pick up the watch at 6pm when the driver returned, I finally got the watch.

The moment I put it on, I instantly got it. Looking at the details of the watch--the double broad arrow hands, the curve of the bracelet, the sharply-scalloped matte bezel--I realized that THIS watch was the real continuation of the original Seamaster 300 line in so many ways. I also personally believe that the PO 2500 XL is also the quintessential modern Omega watch. It carries those signature broad arrow hands, the inner bezel ring, the curved bracelet, the hippocampus caseback, the twisted Bombe lugs, and the little thickened edge of the right side of the case that doubles as a crown guard. And while many don't like it, I find the manual helium escape valve to be kind of cool and unique in the context of a 600m dive watch. Having seen the new flashy POs in the store, the 2500 does look a tiny little bit "cheaper", but I find it to be a bit more versatile, fitting the everyday watch, the tool watch, and even a watch with business attire (probably not tux, but hey I'll probably try that at some point; sue me). It's also not like the Eiffel tower on the wrist in terms of height, which I extremely disliked about the 8500 PO. Unlike the newest POs, it doesn't only fit the sports niche, as I think Omega has been trying to establish with the line. I guess the 2500 PO is really some kind of reverse bastard child of the SM300MC and the newer POs. However that Oedipus thing works, I can dig it.

Below are some pictures of the watch on my wrist on the bracelet. I bought an OEM rubber strap, but that hasn't come in yet. I'll admit, some of the pictures are a bit weird because I wanted to capture how the watch looks from various "everyday" angles in addition to wrist shots that exaggerate the size for others' future reference. Also, I am 6' tall, 195lbs, a little chubby, and my wrist is 7.5" circumference. You all were right by the way, it does fit more like a 44mm watch ;)

View attachment 8127402 View attachment 8127450 View attachment 8127458 View attachment 8127466 View attachment 8127474 View attachment 8127482

I was thoroughly surprised by how well it fits for such a large watch and how comfortable the bracelet is (I usually hate bracelets). I by no means have a very large wrist, although maybe larger than average. In retrospect, I have owned 45 and 46mm watches before and I flipped them quickly, so it was probably stupid that I got this before trying it on first. Boy oh boy, did I get lucky. I wanted to say thanks to all of WUS for all the resources you provided :) I hope this post can help someone else make their choice. If you got this far, thanks for reading my little story!
Thanks for sharing the story. The PO fits you like a glove !
I agree on lots of your points ... My favourite features of the 2500 are the silver inner ring of the bezel that contrasts with the black, the thiner profile compared the the 8500 and the arrow hands.

The PO 2500 will remain a true classic, and is in my view much more versatile than the new ones which are more or the sporty/tool side.

Mine (on my chicken wrist) says hi ! Congrats on the size too, it couldn't fit you better. Funny when I look at your photos I feel like I am watching my arm with a different body :)
So used to admire the PO on the mirror :p

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Congratulations, great watch. And the bad thing about it being a long post is that I read it carefully and realised I wish I never flipped mine. Enjoy.
If you are by chance planning to get another, I'd highly recommend the Rolex forums in addition to the sales forums here on WUS! I was surprised at the handful of sellers I only found there and could not find on here :think: I guess the PO is one of the Omega pieces held in high enough esteem to be found there LOL.

Get 'em while they're still around! Very soon, they will all have found their way into the hands of people who won't flip them ...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Add me to the list of PO 2500 XL lovers. It’s the one watch I’ll never sell. It was my first big purchase in this watch obsession and it’s never disappointed me. I’ve worn it at all my children’s births and birthdays.

Mine says hello!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Yes, get both!

I put an orange bezel on my PO 2500 42mm when my black one was all scratched up, and bought a new black bezel still in the package for the past 2 years. When I got the urge to swap bezels and risk damaging another, instead I bought a PO 2500 LM LE as my black bezel version (this February).

Attachments

Reactions: Ben.McDonald7

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
You just can't beat the first generation PO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts