WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

A lovely favor from Fateh: HMT of course!

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  jopex 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple months ago I had a dead HMT Chirag that I tried to use for swapping stem & crown with my Janata, whose crown was so worn it was hard to wind. They didn't fit each other, and for some reason I couldn't get them back into the originals. What I mess. :-( So I asked my friend fatehbajwa if he could perhaps find a fix. Off they went back home to southern India.

In the mail today I found a little package with THREE new watches, a replacement Janata and Chirag, plus one of my all-time favorite HMTs, the "mil-sub" styled Jawan, a generous gift from Fateh. He was doing me enough of a favor enough just fixing the other two, not to mention replacement. Luckily I keep a drawer full of 18mm straps just for such occasions.

My first watch when I was 6 years old was a hand-wind Timex, which cost $10 back in 1969 or so. I still have great warm feelings for humble honest watches, built to serve real people in everyday life. That's why I hang out here in /f71. While some watches serve our yearning for luxury and status, others are made for everyone. These HMT watches are so charming, they wind like butter and keep great time. They'll take a proud part in my wrist rotation of little mechanical wonders.

Thanks, Fateh!

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Material property Magenta

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Oh, and let's not forget that they have a companion, whatmeworry's sturdy HMT Pilot.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Fateh is a great guy. I had bought a Sona from him that had some problems and he immediately sent a replacement. That replacement was lost somewhere in the mail so he sent another one. I received the latest replacement today and it is gorgeous. :)

Reactions: zippofan
#3 ·
That sounds rather typical of Fateh, a passionate watch lover and a true gentleman. I can't imagine his HMT selling is very profitable at this rate, mostly a labor of love. I never would have heard about HMT except for hanging around here.

Reactions: curiousMan
#5 ·
My first watch when I was 6 years old was a hand-wind Timex, which cost $10 back in 1969 or so. I still have great warm feelings for humble honest watches, built to serve real people in everyday life. That's why I hang out here in /f71. While some watches serve our yearning for luxury and status, others are made for everyone.
Extremely well put skywatch... I've always fancied that white Janata myself.

#7 ·
Indeed the white art-deco Janata was the first HMT that really caught my eye. I had fancied the modernist GuB Glashutte from the '60s that has similar numbers, and this one has some of that minimalist suave without the risk of getting an overpriced dud.

#8 ·
Nice to see my Pilot in such great company, that's a great trio Robert. I can't help but agree with you on the charm of HMT's, they're just such honest watches. Fateh is a lovely fellow, he sent me an HMT Kohinoor as a gift a while back. I ended up passing it on to a friend when I had my big clear out. Might have to replace both that and the Pilot! If I do it'll be the 4th of the Indian Aviators that I've had the pleasure of owning!

Reactions: leicamaster
#9 ·
Indeed, Olly, your Pilot has a nice family to keep him company. When mechanical watches are so affordable that we can give them to friends on a whim, or use them as stocking stuffers... that's a bonus! :-! (Last year I gave away my first Janata and I intended to give away the Chirag, now I might keep it! )

#14 ·
fatehbajwa is a member here on WUS who lives in Chandigarh India, also selling on ebay - and he has been helping us find good quality HMT watches, mostly vintage or NOS. I have also helped Fateh obtain a watch or two from here in North America. Another very helpful HMT lover is Hari, who has been very generous sharing his knowledge about the recent status of HMT factories in his area, also selling on eBay and quite trustworthy. If not for these watch-loving friends (among others here on /f71) I think many of us would not have discovered these little gems.

#13 ·
Beauties, all of 'em :-!

I wish my Jawan was as nice, I have the same dial style but I have a feeling that it was frankened up from all sorts of parts. The back fell off not long after I got it and I've never trusted it since :-(

I love the look with the tropic NATO too, most comfortable strap I've ever bought.

One of these days I'll go looking for another Jawan though I'll be more careful next time on buying the seller.

Cheers,
Griff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.