WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the movie Non-Stop with Liam Neeson the other night and without giving too much of the movie away, there is a spot when the co-pilot looks at his watch and he is clearly wearing a Patek Philippe Fake ! Were they trying to pass it off as a co-pilot wearing an actual Patek or did they want to show it off as a Canal Street special ?

I wonder if Patek would have any problem with them using this fake ?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Wow, if it is a fake, that would be bad. Was it that obvious a fake?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
More than likely it was the actor playing pilot own watch. Many times for fill ins like that they'll let them wear their own watch.

Reactions: valmak

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I was watching the movie Non-Stop with Liam Neeson the other night and without giving too much of the movie away, there is a spot when the co-pilot looks at his watch and he is clearly wearing a Patek Philippe Fake ! Were they trying to pass it off as a co-pilot wearing an actual Patek or did they want to show it off as a Canal Street special ?
Perhaps they were not anticipating WIS scrutiny? Is it real obvious?

I wonder if Patek would have any problem with them using this fake ?
Hmm...I wonder how much Universal Pictures would pay us to keep quiet ;-)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a quick close up of the watch dial as they were very concerned about elapsed time and a possible bomb. The close up was of the watch dial....had the Calatrava Cross above the name Patek Philippe on the dial.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
C'mon... it was a 'stunt watch', plain and simple. Do you think the prop department has a budget that allows them to use real Pateks?

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Some directors are freakishly detail oriented to the point of insanity, like the late Stanley Kubrick, others aren't. Apparently, Non-Stop's director doesn't share Kubrick's brand of lunacy.
At least they don't shoot in full frame 4x3 like he did...

Hard to know the directors intent re the PP or whether he even had intent with that detail. There are certainly PP fakes in the real world so it makes sense they are represented in movies from time to time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just watched the movie at home, here is a snapshot:

nonstop.jpg

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,227 Posts
Is anyone concerned enough to either tell Patek or complain to the movie director about a suspected counterfeit being used as a prop? I can get a little excited when the age of props is not consistent with the date portrayed in the movie.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Was it a paid product placement? i.e. Fake watch (not that I would know either way), but brand name was meant to appear as paid product (brand) placement? Not that Patek Philippe is known for that, unlike Omega in the Bond movies.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I just watched the movie at home, here is a snapshot:

View attachment 1512969
Firstly, nice TV!

Secondly, and I simply don't know, is it that obvious of a fake? I'm hardly an expert on Pateks, and if you say it's an obvious fake then I certainly believe you. I don't believe I would have caught it while casually watching the film myself...

Dan

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
this is certainly an affliction ! one must switch off the WIS button when going to the movies - it can spoil the experience in many instances

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I​ heard that nearly all props like watches etc are fake. Genuine items go missing off set too often to make it worth using them. Can't remember who told me, but they were "around" the movie business...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It helped develop the back story of the co pilot...Born to a billionaire family, who lost it all on a tragic Ostrich racing accident. It was the last gift his father gave him (when he graduated top of his class at Oxford) before disappearing from the face of the earth. He wears it to remind himself that you can't trust anyone...not even family.

I really thought that was pretty well spelled out in the movie....

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Firstly, nice TV!

Secondly, and I simply don't know, is it that obvious of a fake? I'm hardly an expert on Pateks, and if you say it's an obvious fake then I certainly believe you. I don't believe I would have caught it while casually watching the film myself...

Dan
You've been away too long Dan ;-) Chronograph pushers but annual calendar subdials?!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thats laughable unto itself because no airline pilot could ever afford a Patek Phillipe!!!Granted some do make low end 6 figures working for the major airlines but think more along the lines of Omega or Rolex in stainless steel

1 - 20 of 50 Posts