WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I'm starting a new watch project, that I would like to share with You guys.
It will be yet another bronze/steel diver, but it will only be "tiny" 42-43mm.
This is the materials that, if all goes well, will be reduced to about a third (or less) of the weight, as it is now.
IMAG6391.jpg
IMAG6392.jpg
The movement is an NOS ETA 2651 automatic, and it looks VERY small right now, compared to the materials for the case.
The reason for using this movement, is the size of the finished watch, and if the case should hold up to extreme waterproofness, it needs to have a certain thickness.

Anyway, the build starts off tomorrow.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am working on a brass watch case (2824 movement) but it appears from the size of your stock you will be using larger equipment than my sherline lathe and mill. Look forward to your progress. You doing this as NC or not?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using an old Emco maximat standard, from 1961, and an even older drillpress, with my own little milling setup, so it's not all that big machinery i'm using.
The bronze block looks very big, but is actually only 80mm wide, and the movement is only 19mm, so compared side by side... :)

Usually when I make watches for an ordinary 2824 size (26,5mm) im using bronze bars with a centerhole of 28mm and a diameter of 60mm, but this 80mm block is the only one I have with a centerhole smaller than the 28mm (it's 22mm), so in order to go small in final case size, I have to go big size, sort of speak ;-)

I'll start working a little later today, and will post pics of the progress tonight.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Subscribed. Really like this kind of work as I am also in the middle of my own project and I understand the effort it takes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something went completely wrong with the pics in the last post...

Anyway, I'm down to a diameter that leaves room to work with.
20180128_123903.jpg

And it's time for a little break:)
20180128_124028.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's all You'll get for today, as something came up, and I'll have to leave the workshop for today.

Anyway, this is the shavings for todays work :)
20180128_135443.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A little finishing touches on the inside of the case, and a small angle on the backside.
The angle will be larger later on, but not untill I've made the screwholes, for the caseback in the case.
20180130_111830.jpg

I made a dial last night, but I forgot to take pictures of that...
20180130_112111.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking good so far man, love the vintage dial. Keep the progress pics comin'
Thank You.
I like the dial too, but I have a few more dial layouts, so I'm not sure yet, that this one will be on the watch, when it is finished...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts