WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always kick my self for not taking any before pictures of these projects and again don't have any for this. Probably because they are more spur of the movment and less planned so you guys will have to make do with your imagination.

Any way on to the watch.. I've had this old Hilton movement and dial sitting in my drawer for months. I kept it because I liked the movement and the size was fairly large for its time at 32mm with the dial(some would call it oversized and charge an extra 80%!). It has a nice dress feel about it with a simple linen pattern dial and sub seconds. It has a Peseux 320 17j rose colored movement. I got a lot of cases recently and finally came across one that would fit for the movement. It's actually an HMT case so it's of decent plating quality and in good condition. The movement dropped right in and fits nicely. I got a new stem from my Selecta stem assortment and cut it down just slightly before fitting a new crown.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
I thought it almost sinful to hide away such a nice movement and wasn't a fan of the HMT back anyway, so I fitted it snugly with a crystal to make a display back. Then I got to thinking I would try my hand at Bluing the silver screws to make it pop a little. The results aren't bad considering it was my first time and only practiced with three or four beforehand.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
I find myself taking it to look at the back more than the front. What do you think of my new dress watch?
image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is awesome and I am quite impressed.
Thanks! You should give the bluing a try if you've ever wanted to do it. It's easier than it looks but takes some patience. It makes a nice difference.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really do like the bluing. How did you learn that? Online tutorial? Books?
WUS where else haha There have been a few threads on it over the years and I went and found one. I used a tea candle, some cheap steel tweezers, rubbing alcohol, a microfiber cloth, and a few spare screws to test. I made a few dark plum colored screws for another watch. Give it a try!

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I know we dislike people that sell mismatched watches but thats because they claim to be original, yours is for yourself and it looks great, the HMT looks good with the dial and hands. The movement does look too nice to hide esp with now the blue screws (very good work).

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know we dislike people that sell mismatched watches but thats because they claim to be original, yours is for yourself and it looks great, the HMT looks good with the dial and hands. The movement does look too nice to hide esp with now the blue screws (very good work).
Thanks! This one is certainly a keeper, I would never sell something this far changed without full disclosure anyway. It's too nice to sell haha

·
Registered
165 Posts
That watch looks fantastic! The movement does indeed "pop" with the blue screws. All in all, it looks pretty awesome

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That watch looks fantastic! The movement does indeed "pop" with the blue screws. All in all, it looks pretty awesome
Thanks I like it a lot. I've got another watch with a display back I'm going to try some plum colored screws on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts