WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im new to WUS but am already finding myself spending more and more time here, currently just browsing the forums and soaking up all the information. It seems that many of you have years of obsession behind you and a huge wealth of knowledge.

I just bought my first 'good' watch, a Tag Carrera Calibre 6 (I know this is like a toy compared to some of the pieces available, however to me it is still my avenue into this world and something I love), it has wet my appetite to beautiful movements and assemblies.

I realise that what I am asking spreads across many areas of WUS, each area of course with something specific to offer...

The point of this topic within this forum section:

I am a final year Design student at Northumbria University, sitting on a computer using CAD takes up a tiny amount of time, much of it is hands on prototyping and manufacture of objects.

Since my obsession of timepieces is increasing I am finding myself more and more drawn to making a prototype timepiece of some form.

What I'm asking

I want to make a pocket watch, stop watch or compass, for now I am content with not settling on a final idea. I want it to look very classic, no modern, tacky fonts or colours, it will be very classic hopefully steeped in influences of its predecessors.

I am wanting to do a lot of research into past examples, their manufacture, how they are made, the materials they are made from, why this is.

Since I found my grandfathers old stopwatch in a drawer and found myself appreciating it just as a beautiful object, I would love to try and recreate a small part of that experience.

You all clearly have a lot of time and love for these objects and as such much more knowledge about all of the above things. I am also interested in the simple human interaction between these objects and the owner... what is it personally that YOU love about watches, stopwatches, pocket watches.... History? value? the story? exclusivity? just the character it has?

I plan to spend a lot of time on WUS going forward, I would love your input whether it is:

*a short sentence with a link to a website for learning
*a website to source parts such as sapphire crystal, hands, movements. I am UK based.
*websites of existing beautiful examples. What is the pinnacle example? Your personal favourite?
*advice on potential movements for a pocket watch or stopwatch. The external case is likely to be around 50mm but this is completely speculative at the moment. Budget is of course important, but at the same time, I want to invest a lot of time into this as it means a lot to me, I beautiful, quality movement isn't cheap, I realise this may not be a cheap endeavour. Any arguments for choosing a specific case size?
*Do's and Don'ts, advice and anything else would be greatly appreciated also.
*Feedback: As time goes forward I would love to start running designs and prototyped models past you all, I prefer honestly only, constructive criticism is essential to improve.
*Anything at all that could help me, techniques, finishes, materials.

I appreciate I am asking a million things, I hope I haven't bored you to sleep.

I look forward to (hopefully) hearing from some of you.

Thank you.

James.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Why don't you throw some of your ideas for a watch design at us and we'll tell you what we think, just
to see where you are coming from before your ideas are influenced by counter opinion.
Work out your design and the mechanics can be worked around the design.

Bare in mind this is a forum where the members like their vintage and antique watches.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why don't you throw some of your ideas for a watch design at us and we'll tell you what we think, just
to see where you are coming from before your ideas are influenced by counter opinion.
Work out your design and the mechanics can be worked around the design.
Thanks for your reply, I will do that. Over the next few weeks I will post up some drawings and prototypes.

Bare in mind this is a forum where the members like their vintage and antique watches.
That was partly intentional, they seem steeped in so much history it would be a shame not to communicate that. I would like subtle incorporations that nod to the predecessors a sense of respect. At the moment I am very naive to exactly what these are, I hope that through more research, guidance and feedback I will learn a lot.

Thanks again.

James.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi James,

if I understood you right, you want to design an make a nice case, and want to fill it with anything but pills or powder. Likely the fill should do something like diplaying the time, and ask for some attention like winding.

Well, if you look for effordable pocketwatch movements in decent quality, the ETA/Unitas movements are likely the only option. With an advanced finish like here

they look nice, but not actually exciting. But the present gold price floods the market with rather exciting movements, and because they were broken out of watches which were too valuable for daily use, they are often in technical and visual good shape. For average precision watches butchering makes economical sense because you get often more for an empty case than for a complete watch.

But emong scrap merchants the percentage of retarded people is not far from the average, and so often a 5000 Dollar watch is butchered to get few hundred for its gold. If you don't believe it, take this movement for examle:

It is an extremely rare selfstriking movement, i.e. it doesn't only chime the time on request like an ordinary repeater, but also without any operation, just like a turret clock. A complet watch with such movement is almost never sold under $ 20,000 (with gold case even much more), and I shot the bare movement for some $500.

My suggestion though: Spend some time to look what is available to fill your case. You'll be surprised what you can get for moderate money. You can have extraordinary finish, features like in a play station, high accuracy, or all together.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi James,

if I understood you right, you want to design an make a nice case, and want to fill it with anything but pills or powder. Likely the fill should do something like diplaying the time, and ask for some attention like winding.

Well, if you look for effordable pocketwatch movements in decent quality, the ETA/Unitas movements are likely the only option. With an advanced finish like here

they look nice, but not actually exciting. But the present gold price floods the market with rather exciting movements, and because they were broken out of watches which were too valuable for daily use, they are often in technical and visual good shape. For average precision watches butchering makes economical sense because you get often more for an empty case than for a complete watch.

But emong scrap merchants the percentage of retarded people is not far from the average, and so often a 5000 Dollar watch is butchered to get few hundred for its gold. If you don't believe it, take this movement for examle:

It is an extremely rare selfstriking movement, i.e. it doesn't only chime the time on request like an ordinary repeater, but also without any operation, just like a turret clock. A complet watch with such movement is almost never sold under $ 20,000 (with gold case even much more), and I shot the bare movement for some $500.

My suggestion though: Spend some time to look what is available to fill your case. You'll be surprised what you can get for moderate money. You can have extraordinary finish, features like in a play station, high accuracy, or all together.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I am currently in a bit of turmoil with the project as the last thing I want to do is design and make something that has no place...

Basically it is a 12 week project, if I enjoy the process and outcome I can repeat the project and build on it...

I was initially thinking about making a compass within a stopwatch/pocket watch style casing; the movement would be relatively simple for now and I can invest time in getting the casing right, the bezel and the crystal properly fitted and also educate myself on the process of photo etching metal hands, the dial etc.

Once this has been learnt I could then introduce a beautiful movement (the second one you showed me there is amazing!). Like you said, it would take time to find such a nice movement and the last thing I want to do is rush the movement purchase and then encase it in something that could be much better...

Do pocket watches of any quality get made anymore? What about stopwatches? (or are they all digital now?, I know there are of course watches like the 'Mikrograph' etc.). I have been looking about and don't seem to find much of any quality...

Thanks again for your reply.

James.

·
Registered
107 Posts

I really like these self striking movements... Here is mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i realize this is an old post, but here goes. does anyone know of technical drawings existing and available for popular american pocket watch movements? Elgin, Hamilton.......etc.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The NAWCC Research Library has Hamilton factory blueprints for some of their movements. I have seen some of the blueprints for the 992B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts