WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone;

I thought that I would share some pictures of this nice little Gruen that I just serviced. I bought this watch in rural (as if there is urban) Wyoming at a little antique shop ($10). Not running in the shop but ticking on and off by the time I got home.

It looked like this:
Gruen Verithin Overview.jpg

Pretty rough dial but a good case. Sat in my project box until I got some confidence and better tools.

The movement is a nice 17J 435.
Gruen Verithin Movement.jpg

So I took it to pieces and did a hand cleaning. It was so grungy that it took a couple of cleanings of everything.

CompleteBefore.jpg TrainExposed.jpg KeylessDirt2.jpg

Reassembled
CleanPlate.jpg Reassembly1.jpg

Cleaned the dial with not great results
FaceAfterClean.jpg

Polished the case and assembled
Afterassembled.jpg

Wrist test - had to steal a strap from another watch until I get a chance to get something more suitable.
Wrist.jpg

Movement is running well. Keeping pretty decent time. It is the quietest movement that I had ever assembled.

Hope you enjoyed the show.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Great thread

Interesting read and glad to see another revived watch... Strap looks ok to me!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always enjoy seeing what is in the crevices of the watch
This one was really nasty. Some of it was hardened and had to come off in layers with soaking in solution in between.

Strap looks ok to me!
Not bad, but I think I am going to go darker to play up some contrast...Besides I had to steal it off my favorite Wittnauer where it is the perfect strap.

glad to see another revived watch
I am pretty new to servicing...success is pretty exciting.

Thanks for the nice comments.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
congrats on servicing the watch. always a welcome these threads and would love to have a go myself, only one i have done was an Ingersoll PW but was a nightmare to put back together, just couldn't do the balance wheel. had to send it to a watchguy i use to do that. movement looks new and that strap looks great on that watch, it as a aged look about it like the dial, goes well together. good luck in finding another strap to take its place.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Well done Paleotime, great job bringing this vintage Gruen back
into use.
I like this patinated dial, it suits a watch which is probably 70+ years old.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would love to have a go myself, only one i have done was an Ingersoll PW but was a nightmare to put back together, just couldn't do the balance wheel
I have only just started working on stuff that is nice enough to wear. The balance can be tricky for sure, especially getting the roller jewel to engage the pallet fork. It really is rewarding when you get one going.

I am quite enjoying the patina on the dial
I like this patinated dial, it suits a watch which is probably 70+ years old.
I like the dial patina myself. If it had cleaned up a little more even would have been ideal.

The Ranfft website puts a date on the movement of 1941-1948. So - yup about 70 yrs. old.

Regulating between dial up and pendant down hoping to approximate wrist wear worked good. As near as I can figure it is plus just a few seconds a day...

Thanks for the support and nice comments.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Well done - and thanks for the trouble you went to with the photos. happy_32x32.png

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the trouble you went to with the photos
No trouble at all...

I love seeing old Gruens up close and personal
It sure is a quality product...This is my first experience with the brand but I don't think that it will be my last. Actually, I have had a PanAmerican on my want list for a while.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
It sure is a quality product...This is my first experience with the brand but I don't think that it will be my last. Actually, I have had a PanAmerican on my want list for a while.
They are VERY underrated. Lovely things to work on and top quality.

I love my Pan Americans. Just be sure to get one with an original dial in one of the ACTUAL cases. There seems to be a little bit of 'conversion' going on.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love my Pan Americans. Just be sure to get one with an original dial in one of the ACTUAL cases. There seems to be a little bit of 'conversion' going on.
Trim...I seem to remember that we narrowly avoided a bidding war on one of yours. When I am ready to buy I will be asking here what to look for. Unless it is a really screaming deal though it probably has to wait until I finish my Ph.D. Right now I have a pretty low spending limit.

Lovely things to work on and top quality.
It really was pretty nice to work on. One thing I noticed is that all the bridge screws seemed to have larger heads. I also the inspection holes for the pallet stone and the exposure of the escape wheel allowing easy oiling was well thought out. I disliked the pallet bridge design. I found it difficult to install the pallet with the train in place.

·
Premium Member
13,463 Posts
very nice and very good quality watch :) wear it in good health

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
very nice and very good quality watch :) wear it in good health
Thank you. I am very happy with it. Set is several days ago and the time still agrees with my computer and cell phone so it must be keeping really nice time. I am impressed with it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
This is a GREAT thread for folks learning to repair and restore watches, especially Gruens :) Like others, I too am pleased to see another GRUEN up and running, being used!

The movement you cleaned is a solid, well-built movement. It's one of the top of the line Gruen movements. You likely don't know this, but the parts used in this movement are the same parts used in the famous Gruen Curvex movement, caliber 440. All of the parts fit. The difference is in the curved plates.

Again, thanks for taking the time to document your work and giving everyone a chance to see what the inside of the movement looks like.

Keep restoring those Gruens!!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the nice comments and information regarding the movement. I really know nothing about Gruen movements - other than what I observe when I clean one up.

This watch is still running good (it really does keep excellent time) and gets plenty of wrist-time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts