WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most p.w. people know Gruen for the little thin 10 size Pentagon forms and their amazing variety of decorative styles in case and dial; and the presentation activity for these. An ebay listed gold Round Case with the small 10+size movement was a no bid for an unlikely high scrap value. Looked good to me so paid reserve price after confirming details by phone. It is big and heavy for a little Gruen marked Very-Verithin and wider and heavier than 14s Waltham.
This odd to me special has case gift marked 1919. Very complex oversize dial has 3 or more different surface textures and faded gold plate colors. (Emphasized in photos, with green big plant leaf reflections) 17j adjusted Veri-thin movement with right number for 1919 489215. Not sure why front and back open on single external hinge. Could be considered the unknown Veri-thin hunter case? Inner thin cover has interior hinge. One of Fred Gruens maybe unique more colorful special presentation orders. Definitely a keeper not a scrapper.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Wow, that's some dial there :-!

I know nothing about pocket watches, altho have been looking at some recently, but, to my eye, that does look a nice one........the mov't looks great!!

Is it running??

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
These Veri-thins are very reliable, durable, simple and precisely made. Also accurate when clean and lubricated. This like all will run a long time without oil, so unused to prevent wear.

·
11,476 Posts
Wow, great looking watch!! I work in Oswego NY!! Cool to see a watch from there. Post card with The Pontiac on it (see link below). in 1919 there was The Pontiac Hotel in town.......

The Pontiac Oswego, NY

Currently there is a Pontiac Nursing Home and also Pontiac Apartments........

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Agreed! A wonderful watch and a truly stunning monogram! I love monograms. One day I'd like to get a signet-ring with my own monogram reverse-engraved into it...but that might have to wait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts