WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever wonder what a Pope wears? They like Patek's and custom watches like this...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
He can just ask one of his dozens of servants to tell him the time on their $10 Casio.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Wow,cool,I like the crosier,bible and church on the movements

I think the current Pope just wears his old watch,he doesn't look like the dandy type,in fact he is more of an utilitarian type that he wore his old shoes when he is ceremonially installed as a Pope

·
Registered
346 Posts
I suppose you could say the new Pope is cut from a different cloth. He took one of the bishops to task this week for ostentation.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Pope Benny was a classy guy - like the XVI on the dial.

Just because a guy is a Pope he can't like nice watches? Or have hired help ("servants")?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
not quite true !
Yep, but then you should have photoshopped a ginormous 12000M WR 250g diver on his wrist too :-d

Just because a guy is a Pope he can't like nice watches?
Nope, a good one can't own that kind of luxury items... How can he preach about hunger if his watch costs enough to feed some villages for years? It would be just wrong.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I highly doubt current Pope is wearing a Patek... i mean, considering how modest he is in general...

Reactions: McGooser

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
To add to CCCP's post

Most popes are coming from Diocesan priesthood,they are allowed (though not encouraged) to earn money and keeping it (it's like a pocket money for them..)

The current pope comes from Jesuit order,in which he has 3 (+1 that I will explain later) vows namely poverty,chastity,obedience in this religious order,the money they earn has to be reported to his superior. The other vow is total obedience to the Pope,which was questioned in the beginning of his Papacy

Having seen the current Pope up close in Rio,I don't think he'll wear a PP even if he's given one...most likely upgrade for him might be a Gshock...

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
To add to CCCP's post

Most popes are coming from Diocesan priesthood,they are allowed (though not encouraged) to earn money and keeping it (it's like a pocket money for them..)

The current pope comes from Jesuit order,in which he has 3 (+1 that I will explain later) vows namely poverty,chastity,obedience in this religious order,the money they earn has to be reported to his superior. The other vow is total obedience to the Pope,which was questioned in the beginning of his Papacy

Having seen the current Pope up close in Rio,I don't think he'll wear a PP even if he's given one...most likely upgrade for him might be a Gshock...
Thank you, beat me to it. There is a belief that all Catholic Priests take a "Vow of Poverty". Not true. And being against poverty AND having a Patek doesn't disqualify him any more than a president wearing one would be.

·
Premium Member
35,311 Posts
With a direct line to God, highly unlikely he needs to keep time, as he is on the Big Guy's schedule...........

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Interesting article. I knew there is no way Francis wears a nice watch but I was going to say, I bet if you go back 100+ years, you could find some of them wearing Pateks and Vacherons.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
It's weird. I find nothing wrong in general with purchasing and wearing a bespoke Patek. However, if the Pope wears one, somehow I feel it is wrong... This is illogical because if it is not wrong in general, why is it wrong in the specific. Still, I cannot shake the feeling...

·
Registered
909 Posts
this thread reminded me of the story with russian patriarch Kiril.
he was spotted with breguet watch, while he was "preaching" on the subject of poverty among the miners of Ukraine, however afterwards with the help of miraculous providence (and a bit of photoshop) it was removed from the wrist and changed to something more utilitarian ;-)
I guess modesty is not in vogue amongst our latest patriarchs...

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
You know,this thread makes me try to remember the watch worn by the priests that I know,most of them wears Seiko5 or Casio or Gshock,otherwise some are watchless,nothing too fancy here...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts