WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
after close inspection of Pope Francis's wrist watches from photo's I am pretty much certain he wore or wears two.

One is a Casio MQ24-7B which from the dates he seems to have worn when he was a Bishop and then when he became Pope.

All the latest photos seem to show him only wearing a Swatch and one high resolution image appears to show some distortion on the crystal at three O'clock and a much deeper black colour there.
From that I feel his Holiness is wearing a Swatch GB743.

Have a look at this image below. It was taken in 2014 where as the Casio images all seem to be 2013 and earlier.

http://www.cathnewsusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/440723-pope-francis-holds-a-gift-from-children-during-his-pastoral-vis.jpg

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Popes of yore were different from today. They controlled armies, obtained tribute from european states, and dictated law across many lands. They had so much power to excommunicate countries. The popes were more like emperors than priests. Patek also was not so much the revered luxury brand as it is today, although it was well respected.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts

·
Registered
13,154 Posts
after close inspection of Pope Francis's wrist watches from photo's I am pretty much certain he wore or wears two.

One is a Casio MQ24-7B which from the dates he seems to have worn when he was a Bishop and then when he became Pope.

All the latest photos seem to show him only wearing a Swatch and one high resolution image appears to show some distortion on the crystal at three O'clock and a much deeper black colour there.
From that I feel his Holiness is wearing a Swatch GB743.

Have a look at this image below. It was taken in 2014 where as the Casio images all seem to be 2013 and earlier.

http://www.cathnewsusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/440723-pope-francis-holds-a-gift-from-children-during-his-pastoral-vis.jpg

Watching the recent ABC News "Audience with the Pope" got me wondering about Francisco's wrist wear. Swatch was my initial guess. So, we're pretty sure it's this one?

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,424 Posts
As we all know it turned out his watch is a resin-cased Casio MQ-24-7-BLLGF. The quartz watch sells for less than 15 Euros.

Do a search and you will find the thread discussing his watch.

·
Registered
687 Posts
That Benedikt looks realll pretty. But I do also feel that if the Pope wears a Patek, it'd make me feel a bit...uncomfortable.

·
Registered
13,154 Posts
As we all know it turned out his watch is a resin-cased Casio MQ-24-7-BLLGF. The quartz watch sells for less than 15 Euros.

Do a search and you will find the thread discussing his watch.
I did a search. Found that thread. Found this thread. Not sure who you mean when you say "we all know", because the post I quoted and the high-res pic linked below lead me to believe that in addition to the Casio MQ-24-7-BLLGF the Pope also wears/wore a Swatch.

http://www.cathnewsusa.com/wp-conte...ift-from-children-during-his-pastoral-vis.jpg

·
Registered
488 Posts
Fuellers is right. He wears a basic Swatch now, due to a band failure of his previous watch.

sources, in Italian, are here

Al polso di Papa Francesco c’è uno Swatch | Il mio Papa

http://famigliacristiana.it/articolo/quella-veste-sgualcita-del-papa-in-visita-a-ostia.html

Caroline Pigozzi, Henri Madelin: Così è Francesco ( a quick mention of the pope glancing over his black swatch) "... furtivamente il suo (di Bergoglio) orologio Swatch, fosse per lui una perdita di tempo ...

hope that helps. Apologies for the small portion of the book quote, but the book viewer is a pain to navigate on mobile

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Pope's wrist watch

As the Pope was waving out the window of his Fiat on arrival today he appeared to be wearing a wrist watch. Any info on what kind?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Popes of yore were different from today. They controlled armies, obtained tribute from european states, and dictated law across many lands. They had so much power to excommunicate countries. The popes were more like emperors than priests. Patek also was not so much the revered luxury brand as it is today, although it was well respected.
Pope Alexander VI, the so-called Borgia pope, was by many accounts, straight up gangster.

If he was alive today, he'd be sporting a yellow gold Rollie President. No doubt. Maybe with a custom dial with diamond indices.

Like my politicians, I do prefer my religious leaders wearing cheaper watches. I get sometimes it's a bit of a joke because the politicians are often from wealthy backgrounds, but in theory, they're supposed to be serving the people.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Fuellers is right. He wears a basic Swatch now, due to a band failure of his previous watch.

sources, in Italian, are here

Al polso di Papa Francesco c’è uno Swatch | Il mio Papa

http://famigliacristiana.it/articolo/quella-veste-sgualcita-del-papa-in-visita-a-ostia.html

Caroline Pigozzi, Henri Madelin: Così è Francesco ( a quick mention of the pope glancing over his black swatch) "... furtivamente il suo (di Bergoglio) orologio Swatch, fosse per lui una perdita di tempo ...

hope that helps. Apologies for the small portion of the book quote, but the book viewer is a pain to navigate on mobile
Absolutely spot on, I found the same article so it's now a Swatch once again and if you like the Pope and want to wear the same watch but are not keen on the more traditional size then you can get the larger almost identical Twice again.

I must have spent hours scanning images and the Casio was worn up until mid last year from what I can see on timeline of the images.

Mind, his advisors in Rome pulled a fast one on the Pontif and got him wearing a Swiss watch in the end instead of his humble Casio when they said that it was just as cheap to replace the watch than the strap. Perhaps the Swiss guard were behind that ! :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts