WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Found this piece on ebay. I have a feeling that its a real good redial. :think: Any thoughts?

ben

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the extended R at the end of the seamaster is not consistent with other 50's model that i've seen. I am trying to post another photo of it but the image is too large.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
As long as it's well done I have no problem with it and without redials through the years Omega watches would be so expensive not many could afford one today.

I'm going to have a 1949 Omega dial fixed up next month as it will make it wearable again and make someone very happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As long as it's well done I have no problem with it and without redials through the years Omega watches would be so expensive not many could afford one today.

I'm going to have a 1949 Omega dial fixed up next month as it will make it wearable again and make someone very happy.
You have made a great point. Do post up your fixed up piece once its done!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
You have made a great point. Do post up your fixed up piece once its done!
That I will and I might just break even on it but I'm not sure if I should service it myself or just sell it as an un serviced watch and have the new owner take care of that part taking it to a proffesional.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Yeah it's the wrong crown and the dial is not the right one but then they did many versions of the same watch and they don't have them all in the data base.

The crown looks more like the one for my 1949 watch. You can get a new one for that case but it will cost $30-40.

Here you can see the Omega I have with some other watches.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/future-projects-903952.html

As you can see the dial and hands don't match up with the picture but they match the info text.
http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=14531

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
The hands just don't look right to me , I've got lots of 50's seamasters with Dauphin hands and none look like that, having said that I like the look of the watch and for the price it's at at the moment I'd probably have a punt. You'd have a wearable 50's Seamaster and that's always a good thing.

Matt

·
Registered
994 Posts
The hands just don't look right to me , I've got lots of 50's seamasters with Dauphin hands and none look like that, having said that I like the look of the watch and for the price it's at at the moment I'd probably have a punt. You'd have a wearable 50's Seamaster and that's always a good thing.

Matt
Good point, these are not dauphin. What would these be 'Sword'? 'Dagger'?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
IMO, the watch is original. The crown might be a factory replacement, but US market Seamasters from the early 1950's frequently had these "bowler" type crowns.

There were several dial contractors for Omega back then and each one used several different styles for the "Seamaster" logo. The dipping "r" is considered one of the correct fonts. Similar to the 1956 Seamaster XVI:

XVI.jpg

Hands are called "Alpha" style and were also used by Omega.

Now, is it worth the price? That I cannot answer.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
IMO, the watch is original. The crown might be a factory replacement, but US market Seamasters from the early 1950's frequently had these "bowler" type crowns.

There were several dial contractors for Omega back then and each one used several different styles for the "Seamaster" logo. The dipping "r" is considered one of the correct fonts. Similar to the 1956 Seamaster XVI:

View attachment 1583739

Hands are called "Alpha" style and were also used by Omega.

Now, is it worth the price? That I cannot answer.
gatorcpa
Glad you got it all before me.
Dial looked 100% original to me.
That 'patina' on the dial could never be applied. That is age!

Enjoy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts