WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question to Sinn is Why are Sinn watches very expensive? As the owner can you describe the unique part of Sinn that can't be compared with other brands. They last long? They can go to extreme conditions? They are reliable? Or just a trend? I'm just another person looking for the right brand.

Thank you

·
Registered
84 Posts
My question to Sinn is Why are Sinn watches very expensive?
Sinn is first and foremost a tool watch. Given the amount of research done and technology used, I am surprised they are not actually priced higher! Sinn, unlike many brands out there, does not spend loads of funds on marketing, hence that is factored into the watch prices as well.

But if you disregard those facts, then I guess it very much comes down to what watch brands are you comparing it with. More bang for buck IMHO say over a Tag Heuer, but perhaps lose out to Seiko, in the 'value for money' department.

As the owner can you describe the unique part of Sinn that can't be compared with other brands. They last long? They can go to extreme conditions? They are reliable? Or just a trend? I'm just another person looking for the right brand.
One thing unique I can think of is the brand is still relatively unknown, hence you might derive additional satisfaction from sporting a quality product, as compared to those who blindly following 'hyped-up' brands.

Speaking of trend, I notice a rather alarming one over the years where some pretentious 'tool watch' brands, passing themselves off as 'luxury watch' brands with the latter pricing =P

As for reliability, models like U1 and 756, uses either unique submarine steel and tegimented technology which helps strengthen the watch under more extreme conditions.

Having said that, bulk of mechanical watches from respectable brands are known to almost last forever, that is if due care is taken, with regular servicing and such.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
probably the most important thing when considering a sinn is the technological advancements. the pricing is not bad compared to similar products.

V

·
0 Posts
probably the most important thing when considering a sinn is the technological advancements. the pricing is not bad compared to similar products.
Urm, problem is, movement excepted, many Sinn models are sufficiently unique to be in a class of their own.

E.g. Tegiment. Only direct European comparison is Damasko. Ceramic is a different proposition altogether.

Moisture isolation. Ar and CuSO4. Possible unique in the industry. Not sure its worth paying a premium for though.

Overall very robust build. Sorta mini-panzer.

It's difficult to determine 'high' when there are few alternatives.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think we need to compare apples with other apples...of course watches all tell time but so so many factors set them apart...

Depending on what you are comparing with, a Sinn can be expensive or cheap...
If we comparing with watches like Seiko / citizen etc - Sinn costs at least thrice if not more...

But if you compare say, the Sinn 356 with the IWC Flieger (they are quite similar) , the latter is at least twice as expensive...

(Lets not even go into the region of watches with handmade inhouse complications and movements...)

Pricing is a function of branding, innovation, quality and demand etc...
So, its up to the end-user to decide if a particular watch/brand is worth its price..

IMHO, Sinn watches are seen as fair value buys, given the country of origin, the styling and the quality... obviously there are issues at times, but in general they are fine..

So assess your needs, budget and preference - whether a particular is right for you will become immediately apparent... based on this test, I have personally bought most sinns...but thats just me..

Enjoy your watches...does not really matter what brands they are.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My question to Sinn is Why are Sinn watches very expensive? As the owner can you describe the unique part of Sinn that can't be compared with other brands. They last long? They can go to extreme conditions? They are reliable? Or just a trend? I'm just another person looking for the right brand.

Thank you
You ever spent any amount of time with a U piece? These things are bulletproof. I've banged my U1 with some serious force on hard metal edges and tabletops...not a scratch anywhere. Built like a tank.

$1500 and change is cheap nowadays for a good watch. Lower end of the scale, even.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts