WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, okay ... it's really a blue-dialed OP 116000. My watchmaker ordered me some 14270 hands and installed them this week. I call my new watch an "OPX." I only know of one other person who possesses such a mythical watch, WUS member Rusty427.

I had considered the same mod on the identical OP I owned and flipped 15 months ago, but had always assumed Rolex would never sell my watchmaker the hands (he'd told me many times that they require the return of all used parts, and they have to match original specs). When I scored my current OP (which is identical to the first except for being newer), I learned that Rusty427 had the same watch and had done the OPX mod. He got his Exp hands used from a TRF member in the EU, and they weren't cheap.

So, figuring I had nothing to lose except money, I asked my watchmaker about getting some 14270 hands for my OP. He surprised me by telling me that hands aren't subject to the same strict return rules. Only dials, bezels, bracelets and the like are required to be returned, as these are the items most used in doing that C-word thing. He texted me a photo of the hands from the Rolex database, to be certain that was what I wanted ... they are for ref. nos. 14270, 14060, 16660 and 16800 (I was slightly surprised to learn that the Sub and SD used the same hands, but the dials are roughly the same size; it's the big ET bezel that makes a 36mm watch 40mm). It took a few days for him to get the hands from Rolex, and then the holidays were upon us, so I waited until this week to drop the watch off with him. He texted me yesterday morning that it was ready for pickup, and I was super stoked ... even more when I finally saw the finished product!

Truthfully, I never could have imagined that changing the hands on a watch would totally change (and immeasurably enhance) its appearance, but it has. This is the perfect size for me (36mm), the perfect design (the Explorer I, but with the new gen bracelet/clasp design) and perfect dial color (blue). Oh, and the arabic numerals are lumed, unlike the Exp. What's not to love?

And the price for new hands, plus installation (which took two days)? Less than I would have paid for a set of used hands from the EU ... always appealing to a Scotsman! :-!

I won't say anything crazy, such as "this watch is definitely a keeper" ... because I've said that so many times it no longer has any credibility coming from me. But I will say I am thrilled with it, and can't imagine ever parting with it (except for required service).

Eventually I will take and post more photos, but here are a couple to start:

Rolex OPX-wrist.jpg Rolex OP-¾ lume.jpg

·
14,572 Posts
Very cool! Looks beautiful and I love that the 3/6/9 are lumed!
IMHO, that is one of the best mods out there. It is an absolute travesty IMHO that the 3/6/9 are NOT lumed on the Exp I.

Congrats, and I think it looks great. :-!

·
Premium Member
11,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Okay, okay ... it's really a blue-dialed OP 116000. My watchmaker ordered me some 14270 hands and installed them this week. I call my new watch an "OPX." I only know of one other person who possesses such a mythical watch, WUS member Rusty427.

I had considered the same mod on the identical OP I owned and flipped 15 months ago, but had always assumed Rolex would never sell my watchmaker the hands (he'd told me many times that they require the return of all used parts, and they have to match original specs). When I scored my current OP (which is identical to the first except for being newer), I learned that Rusty427 had the same watch and had done the OPX mod. He got his Exp hands used from a TRF member in the EU, and they weren't cheap.

So, figuring I had nothing to lose except money, I asked my watchmaker about getting some 14270 hands for my OP. He surprised me by telling me that hands aren't subject to the same strict return rules. Only dials, bezels, bracelets and the like are required to be returned, as these are the items most used in doing that C-word thing. He texted me a photo of the hands from the Rolex database, to be certain that was what I wanted ... they are for ref. nos. 14270, 14060, 16660 and 16800 (I was slightly surprised to learn that the Sub and SD used the same hands, but the dials are roughly the same size; it's the big ET bezel that makes a 36mm watch 40mm). It took a few days for him to get the hands from Rolex, and then the holidays were upon us, so I waited until this week to drop the watch off with him. He texted me yesterday morning that it was ready for pickup, and I was super stoked ... even more when I finally saw the finished product!

Truthfully, I never could have imagined that changing the hands on a watch would totally change (and immeasurably enhance) its appearance, but it has. This is the perfect size for me (36mm), the perfect design (the Explorer I, but with the new gen bracelet/clasp design) and perfect dial color (blue). Oh, and the arabic numerals are lumed, unlike the Exp. What's not to love?

And the price for new hands, plus installation (which took two days)? Less than I would have paid for a set of used hands from the EU ... always appealing to a Scotsman! :-!

I won't say anything crazy, such as "this watch is definitely a keeper" ... because I've said that so many times it no longer has any credibility coming from me. But I will say I am thrilled with it, and can't imagine ever parting with it (except for required service).

Eventually I will take and post more photos, but here are a couple to start:

View attachment 6592706 View attachment 6592714
Congratulations, looks great!
For the record mine were brand new in a little sealed box and a bit over two hundred bucks.
It nice you could get them locally supplied and fitted.
Pretty cheap mod really
There is another thread going regarding explorer hands, it's interesting you can confirm these models are all out of the same parts bin.
For me it made this watch perfect, and It's definitely a candidate for "the one watch to rule them all, and in the watch box bind them!"
I'm glad you're a fan, I just put mine on to celebrate.

·
Premium Member
11,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations, looks great!
For the record mine were brand new in a little sealed box and a bit over two hundred bucks.
It nice you could get them locally supplied and fitted.
Pretty cheap mod really
There is another thread going regarding explorer hands, it's interesting you can confirm these models are all out of the same parts bin.
For me it made this watch perfect, and It's definitely a candidate for "the one watch to rule them all, and in the watch box bind them!"
I'm glad you're a fan, I just put mine on to celebrate.
Yeah, like I said, I was a little surprised that all those ref. nos. used the same hands. The hands on the 116610 are much fatter than these, especially the minutes hand.

Interesting observation about the "only" watch: I agree wholeheartedly. I actually could visualize this watch being the watch that could do everything for me ... but who am I kidding! o|

Reactions: Rusty427

·
Premium Member
11,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I apologize. I went back and looked at your PM about the hands, in which I thought you told me the price you paid was "used," only to see that you said the price was "usd." D'oh! Big difference! o|

Reactions: Rusty427

·
Registered
593 Posts
Excellent Vision and Execution: Rolex is acting like a monopoly monopolizing their (our) parts we need. Restricting watchmakers or individuals from procuring parts for watches has gotten out of hand. I'm not sure why law-makers have not got involved to prevent this. If I want a Honda car part for my automobile and Honda would not sell it to my car repair shop (because I use a local shop) crap would hit the fan here in the US. But apparently Rolex is sooo exclusive that they can get away with it. If I want my local watch repair shop to service my Rolex I want them to be able to get the part from Rolex. Maybe Rolex gives new watches to our politicians when they are elected to office as a graft, er, I mean, gift.

·
Registered
571 Posts
So silly question but when I googled what an Explorer I is suppose to look it looks identical to the one in your pictures. But you said you replaced the hands, right?

...oh, I guess your minute hand does look longer than on the standard one.

Rolex noob here btw. I'm really trying. lol

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
That looks divine, congrats and enjoy!

Reactions: iinsic

·
Registered
623 Posts
So silly question but when I googled what an Explorer I is suppose to look it looks identical to the one in your pictures. But you said you replaced the hands, right?

...oh, I guess your minute hand does look longer than on the standard one.

Rolex noob here btw. I'm really trying. lol
The blue watch shown in this thread is a Rolex Oyster Perpetual (36mm, ref# 116000) which comes with a blue dial, lumed 3/6/9 and stick hands. See below (pic from Google images):

The current Explorer 1 comes in 39mm (ref#214270) and many prefer the older 36mm (ref#14270), both of which come only with a black dial and Mercedes hands. The 39mm version also does not have lume on the 3/6/9.

See examples as follows:

A lot of people dislike that they got rid of the lume on the 3/6/9 in the most recent rendition (and some hate the 39mm proportions, believing it's disproportionate when compared to the 36mm version -- I'll withhold my opinion and let you decide for yourself).

The original poster modified the 116000 by replacing the stick hands with Mercedes hands which the Rolex sports models (including the Explorer I) are known for, thus making it effectively a blue dialed 36mm Explorer I.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
571 Posts
...The original poster modified the 116000 by replacing the stick hands with Mercedes hands which the Rolex sports models (including the Explorer I) are known for, thus making it effectively a blue dialed 36mm Explorer I.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the detailed explanation and not biting my head off. That was really easy to follow. Wonder how that would look on a milgauss.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts