WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I limit myself to just the 41 watches. 40 for collection and pleasure purposes, and a very cheap one to knock around in, rather than damage a decent one. When scrolling through ebay (which I know is dangerous) I spotted an Invicta 24607 Disney watch with an NH35A movement. I already own two similar watches and know how good they are. The watch was in an auction with a starting price of £50. The watch in question is used, but nearly new. Now, if you live in the USA you won't find this much of a bargain, but in the UK Invicta watches are far rarer, and can't even be purchased in shops. This particular model is not available at all, unless purchased from the USA with postage and import duty, making it in the region of £200. You see, I take great pleasure from owning a watch very few other people are likely to own, and to see anybody in the UK wearing any Invicta watch is incredibly unusual. The problem is that I needed to sell a watch to make room, and this is where the problem lay. Like most of us, there are some watches I enjoy wearing more than others. Prior to this exercise I owned two vintage Seiko diver mods, one of which I liked more than the other. As well as this, the one I preferred is more accurate, has a better power reserve, and takes less shaking to get going. All that said I still liked it. I took the decision to put it up for sale at a price equivalent to 25% more than I purchased it for, but the Invicta auction finished a day prior. This meant I could end up buying the Invicta Disney, but not being able to sell the Seiko. I also had to take into which is the better watch. Well, I took the risk, got the Invicta for £52, and sold the Seiko for £89. I am looking forward to receiving my new purchase, but will also miss the one that went out of the door. I can of course comfort myself in the fact the Seiko probably required a service, which would have cost me the value of the watch. We have to remember, watches are like women, you may like the one you have, but there's always a better one around the corner. Below is my new purchase, which will be fitted with a rather nice & colourful nato strap on arrival.

Invicta Disney.jpg

·
Registered
318 Posts
I’m not saying 41 watches is too many..... However, if 41 is your acceptable number, you’d think you’d be past calling a new purchase a dilemma.

Also that’s a cool watch. Mickey watches are iconic for sure.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I’ll help you get rid of this childish watch with Mickey Mouse and give you 75€, even 76 for it so that you can still keep your beloved Seiko and keep your 41 collection intact. Your dilemma is solved. Happy now?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
11,536 Posts
What was the dilemma exactly?
Import Duties in the UK are too high after Brexit?.... maybe ...
Invicta is now on the same level as Seiko? ... mmm .. I'll get flak for that.
41 is not his lucky number? getting closer
Risk vs Reward in Personal Horology... warm warm ...
I want to visit his corner! Anyone know his address? Yes that is it!

·
Premium Member
71,186 Posts
Calling U.K. import duties high is rather an understatement. Paying 20% plus courier’s fees on your imported MM300 is guaranteed to make you flinch.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
Calling U.K. import duties high is rather an understatement. Paying 20% plus courier’s fees on your imported MM300 is guaranteed to make you flinch.
It would make me :-|o|o|:-x:-|

So.. do you get hammered if I send you a used watch with no box from US?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes, the "42" solution seems appealing! 6 sets of 7 watches, to rotate through in six weeks!

I applaud and admire your discipline to let one go. I think, back under 50, I still had some idea of "strategy" for wrist time and organization, haha. Now it's all blown to heck, but it's nice living in a watch warehouse, I suppose, as a fan of watches.

Really nice Mickey there, and well done on the flipping of the Seiko!

Congrats!

Reactions: Dub Rubb

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We haven't had Brexit yet, and despite what some media may tell you our economy is very healthy at them moment, and getting out of a very corrupt boys club will be great for the country. Import taxes havent changed as yet. The fact is almost everything in the US is cheaper, but to be fare your salaries are less. I own several Invicta and Seiko watches, and despite the prejudice by some for Invicta, I believe they are of similar quality

·
Registered
495 Posts
We haven't had Brexit yet, and despite what some media may tell you our economy is very healthy at them moment, and getting out of a very corrupt boys club will be great for the country”.

Sorry, this isn’t the place to be airing political views. But as you’ve made it so where do you get the idea from that the UK economy is very strong? Brexit will be a disaster. The only corrupt boys club is the one hosting Rees Mogg, Johnson, Farage, Gove, Aaron Banks and other boggle-eyed Brexiteers.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We haven't had Brexit yet, and despite what some media may tell you our economy is very healthy at them moment, and getting out of a very corrupt boys club will be great for the country”.

Sorry, this isn’t the place to be airing political views. But as you’ve made it so where do you get the idea from that the UK economy is very strong? Brexit will be a disaster. The only corrupt boys club is the one hosting Rees Mogg, Johnson, Farage, Gove, Aaron Banks and other boggle-eyed Brexiteers.
Aaaggghh your from Scotland. Strange you hate the UK government having anything to do with Scottish politics, but you don't mind being run by the EU. We probably agree on something though, Scotland should have independence, it would save the English tax payer a fortune

Reactions: Dub Rubb

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
Aaaggghh your from Scotland. Strange you hate the UK government having anything to do with Scottish politics, but you don't mind being run by the EU. We probably agree on something though, Scotland should have independence, it would save the English tax payer a fortune
You guys should invite each other for dinner and settle it like True Old School Gents!

... Corrupt boys.. will be replaced by other corrupt boys... and the cycle repeats! Isn't that the first requirement to get elected?

Hey.. light of warning.. did not want or mean to start a political debate that will for sure close this thread.

For the record... I believe .01% of what the news tell me... and that is mainly the weather forecast.. which sometimes have better odds of getting it right as Las Vegas Roulette.
... and I make pretty decent Dineros.. which also comes very handy when everything is cheaper. High Salary + High Prices + Taxes no good... Good Salary + Low Prices + Low Taxes Me very Happy! :-d

I owned many Invictas and proud to wear them; I have no issues with their watches. Out of the many monstrusities they make.. they also make some sensible options. the IR line is GREAT! IMO Seiko are way over hyped here at WUS... great watches.. but over hyped.

this thread needs a picture

Glasses by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, the "42" solution seems appealing! 6 sets of 7 watches, to rotate through in six weeks!

I applaud and admire your discipline to let one go. I think, back under 50, I still had some idea of "strategy" for wrist time and organization, haha. Now it's all blown to heck, but it's nice living in a watch warehouse, I suppose, as a fan of watches.

Really nice Mickey there, and well done on the flipping of the Seiko!

Congrats!
No, I can't have 42. I have 3 display boxes, 1x20 and 2x10. My knocking about watch gets thrown in a draw. You see, there is nowhere to put a 42nd !!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Actually, you’re making too many assumptions here. I’m not an advocate for Scottish Independence. Also I do believe that paying tax isn’t exclusive to English folk. Don’t the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish also pay taxes? Fortunately I know that your views aren’t representative of most English people.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
No, I can't have 42. I have 3 display boxes, 1x20 and 2x10. My knocking about watch gets thrown in a draw. You see, there is nowhere to put a 42nd !!
Let me check my math..... 1 box of 20 (add 20); 1 box of 10 (add 10); 1 box of 10 (add 10); 1 right wrist (add 1); 1 left wrist (add 1); Magic Number 42! |>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts