WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

A RUNNER's feedback for the SUUNTO AMBIT

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Mystro 
#1 · (Edited)
My Google searches for the Suunto Ambit brought me to this forum so I've only been a member for a few days and I'm loving it. I'll start by saying that I love the Ambit so don't take this thread the wrong way. My main reasons for buying this watch were the altimeter and battery life and the altimeter is awesome! I see all of the same pros to the watch that many others have however I'd like to start a thread addressing some of my complaints/concerns/dislikes or whatever you want to call them. The purpose of this thread is not to sound like a whiney baby but to address concerns that can be relayed to Suunto for future firmware updates. I'm also well aware that there may be ways to correct the concerns that I have and I am MORE THAN HAPPY to have members tell me "how to". I've been on exactly one run with the Ambit and have noticed a number of dislikes.

Backlight:
I do quite a few quick runs at night and I'd like the option of having the backlight remain on permanently. I am aware that it drains the battery but my night runs are typically 1-2 hours and battery life will never be an issue. We all know how awesome the backlight is so I can set it a 10% and it would do the trick.

Distance Display:
I noticed on my run today that once I reached 10 miles, the distance no longer displayed hundredths. For example it would read 10.1 miles and not 10.13 miles. This is VERY annoying. I wanted to reach 13.10 miles and in order to not exceed my goal I had to run stiff-armed while looking at my watch from 13.0 miles to 13.1 miles. Typically I could run and see as I got closer to that 13.1 mark. 13.06…13.07…13.08…13.09…13.10. I hope this makes sense.

Ascent Display:
I also noticed that once I reached 1000 feet, it would only display my ascent as 1.01kft (I think it was kft). I would like it to display 1010 feet not 1.01kft. Easier to understand and more accurate if I'm at 1016 feet. I felt like I had to do math while running!

Battery Life Icon:
I'd like it to display the % of battery life remaining…not a tiny icon that really doesn't do much good.

Waypoints:
I know that this has been addressed but I wanted to include it anyway. It would be ideal to be able to set a permanent waypoint like "home" for example and have the watch recognize it. I like that when you start an exercise it searches for HR Belt and GPS. It would be nice if it would then search for a set waypoint like "home" and set the altimeter reference point. Even if it listed the set waypoints and allowed you to choose that would be ideal. I think it's kind of a pain to set a reference point through the settings menu before each run. So I'd like it go something like this: 1) searching for HR Belt, 2) Searching for GPS, 3) Search for Set Waypoint or Select set waypoint or enter altitude reference point 4) Start exercise. I hope this make sense as well.

Movescount:
I'm new to Movescount and it seems to be solid. It's a bit busy for my liking but I'll get used to it and I'm sure it'll be good. My only complaint at this point is on the "distance" icon, it displays the distance and underneath it displays the "speed" in MPH. Seriously, no runner wants to know their MPH, they want to know their pace. I am aware that if you hover the mouse pointer over the icon it shows the pace but that isn't completely accurate and really I shouldn't have to do that. Also, in the area that displays "Split Time, Lap Time, Distance, Avg Speed, Max Speed" it displays MPH and not pace. I know that I can expand the menu and see it but I think that it should be the standard column header. If you know how to adjust/customize this please let me know…I can't figure it out.

Battery Lifespan:
While the watch is charging, they recommend keeping it on the charger until it's fully charged in order to prolong the battery's lifespan. "NOTE: To ensure longer battery lifetime, only charge when the battery is empty and charge until the battery is completely full. Battery renewal is not part of the warranty." My concern is this: I typically run 1 to 4 hours, 3-5 times per week and I want to review my results after every run. This requires me to connect to the computer all of the time so it'll very rarely get lower than 50% remaining battery power. With this type of battery I thought that it's best to let it fully deplete before charging it but this will never happen. Your thoughts? Does this concern you as well considering the price paid for this beauty? Maybe they'll make this compatible with the Suunto Movestick Mini so that we don't have to charge it all of the time.

Once again, PLEASE don't take this the wrong way. I LOVE this watch but I wanted to give some feedback and hopefully some of you can teach me a few things or join me in voicing our concerns to Suunto. I believe all of these concerns can be fixed via firmware updates. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Grumblings about the Ambit from a RUNNER's perspective.

No need to make excuses, this thread is fully valid and I had plans of starting a similar thread. Perhaps to increase the chance that Suunto reads this thread it would be better to change the thread title to something more pompous like this: "Open Letter To Suunto-Things That needs To be Fixed In The Ambit". Then once this thread is big enough and most concerns have been lifted we should mail Suunto a link to this thread. The special e-mail address that have been dedicated for customers to send in suggestions regarding the Ambit is: Ambit@suunto.com They might not respond on that mail address but it will be read.

I agree with you on the permanent light function, I think Garmin have such a function for night time use and when used on a bicycle during night time. I also agree on the distance display and ascent display issue.

More functions I would like to be added are:

-GPS Time and date sync
-Storm/Weather Alarm that is connected to the GPS function so that it works even when you are moving vertically. Suunto X10 have such a function.
-Altitude alarm
-Sunset/Sunrise times that work in conjunction with the GPS so that there will be no need to manually specify a nearest city. Suunto X10 does this.
-Altitude Difference Measurer added as a view in the Altimeter. Suunto X10 and Core have this function and it is very handy for measuring a specific hill or ascent without messing with any logs or ruining the general height measurements for the total height over the sea.
-GPS Altitude available as a view in the altimeter
-More then just 1 sec and 60 sec options for the GPS sampling rate. I would like to have the option to set for instance a 5 sec interval. But also a manual mode where the watch only samples manual waypoints.
-Add a simple chronograph as a view in time keeping mode, preferably a 24 hour one but even better with a 1000 hour one.
-Add a 24-1000 hour count down timer settable to the second as a view in time keeping mode. Would be great if a interval timer was also available in an exercise mode.
-Increased sample rate for the barometer. It only samples once every hour compared to once every 30 minutes for the Core and once every 15 minutes for X10. This means that fast approaching weather trends will not be detected as fast as with a Core or X10. I would like it to be at least once every 30 minutes like the Core.

This is it for now, I will probably come up with more things later on...

#3 ·

And espresso machine... Im still waiting for that feature.

Come on, think about it... you find a nice little clearing while on a hike... Sit down and punch up your favorite hot beverage... and WHAMO...

Wouldnt that be nice? Come on Suunto... get with the program and make a watch thats REALLY useful!

#4 ·

And espresso machine... Im still waiting for that feature.

Come on, think about it... you find a nice little clearing while on a hike... Sit down and punch up your favorite hot beverage... and WHAMO...

Wouldnt that be nice? Come on Suunto... get with the program and make a watch thats REALLY useful!
My favorite beverage while on a hike would be a nice cup of hot chocolate coupled with a pair of cheese sandwiches and a couple of boiled eggs! :-d:)

I do not like coffee so no espresso machine in the watch for me!:)

Perhaps if it where a function you could deselect on Movescount it would be a good addition!

Speaking of food, a count down timer is excellent to keep track of boiling times when boiling eggs. Another reason why a count down timer should be added to the Ambit!:-!:)

#5 ·

LOL well a keg of beer would be a nice addition too!

Im with you, I used the CDT on my digital all the time. Honestly its probably the most used feature on a digital watch for me. I love the Core interface... its so easy to get to the chrono or CDT.

Another thing I would want to see on the Ambit if I had one was a Sunrise/Sunset like the Core. I used that almost every day in the spring and summer months.

#6 ·

Jeff_C, I think you're on to something! No, in reality though, I was simply addressing pretty basic concerns for a runner that can all be addressed with firmware updates. I'm not asking for much...just the same info that any other GPS watch would display as far as distance and ascent is concerned. The "wants" list could go on and on but I realize that it is a work in progress.

#8 ·

Jeff_C, I think you're on to something! No, in reality though, I was simply addressing pretty basic concerns for a runner that can all be addressed with firmware updates. I'm not asking for much...just the same info that any other GPS watch would display as far as distance and ascent is concerned. The "wants" list could go on and on but I realize that it is a work in progress.
Oh yeah, I know... i was just playing... anytime we all start talking about what we want in the UBER watch I bring up the Espresso thing...

I really do like Espresso! LOL

Your post is a good one, sorry for derailing it!

#7 ·

Thank you for posting this thread I very like to see opinions about all these high tech stuffs from a different angle (from a runner in this case ). I believe Suunto has all the technology to fix and help all of the problems you have mentioned and they will upgrade the Ambit if they get enough demands on these issues.
Btw I wish I could run 5 miles a week, not 10 in a day...

#10 ·

Joakim, I agree with with you on some of the additions. I can't for the life of me work out why there is no sunrise/sunset function, or storm alarm? There are a few more additions I would like too but I really can't complain about this watch. I have used it for a week now and have been on my bike doing about 30-40k a day and everything has worked like a treat.

As for people grumbling about this watch......hmmmmm, I have used a heap of sport watches and nothing really comes close to the ambit. When it comes to in depth training functions and a break down of each move on moves count it really is brilliant. Acquisition of satellites is lightning fast, and its very easy to use!! I can't wait to see what they include in the latest update.

I love this watch and If I were a mormon I would take it as a second wife.

#11 · (Edited)

(I guess you can't complain when the moderator is out of topic.. :)

As a fairly ambitious recreational runner planning for my up comming 40 year crisis I think the Ambit is really, really nice. I have had it for a few days and has done three training sessions so far (missed my morning run, seems like I'm coming down with a cold, a bit grumpy about that..)

So far I really like 'peak training effect' and recovery time. I used PTE to keep effort low during a recovery run (I tend to run too fast during long runs and recovery runs), this is similar to keeping track of HR zones but I would like some more info on using PTE/EPOC 'zones' for different excercises (i.e. pro/con with using PTE/EPOC compared to HRzones).

Features I miss:
- Pre-programmed interval programs, i.e. warmup, 8x400m, cooldown. (including intervals based on time or distance)
- HR zone info in the watch during runs and the possibillity to set alarms when going outside chosen HR zone.

My old Polar RS800sd had more running features but I got tired of the footpod and for trail running the Ambit will be really great (and It will help me find my way home:)

When it comes to the battery they are usually speced to a 'max' number of rechage cycles, capacity will be lower the more times you recharge it. BUT Im not sure it is a practical problem, friends with 4yo garmins seem to have maybe 50% battery capacity compared to when new. But then a 4yo garmin is practically crap anyway. With newer battery technology the battery hopefully survives better, it also has more capacity to begin with, and if you sync/charge it every other day anyway you will not notice. Hopefully it will still look great after 5 years and if I'm as satisfied with the functionality as I am now I can pay for a battery change if that is a problem. (but who knows what functionality will be available in new watches in 5 years...)

#13 ·
Battery Lifespan: While the watch is charging, they recommend keeping it on the charger until it's fully charged in order to prolong the battery's lifespan. "NOTE: To ensure longer battery lifetime, only charge when the battery is empty and charge until the battery is completely full. Battery renewal is not part of the warranty." My concern is this: I typically run 1 to 4 hours, 3-5 times per week and I want to review my results after every run. This requires me to connect to the computer all of the time so it'll very rarely get lower than 50% remaining battery power. With this type of battery I thought that it's best to let it fully deplete before charging it but this will never happen. Your thoughts? Does this concern you as well considering the price paid for this beauty? Maybe they'll make this compatible with the Suunto Movestick Mini so that we don't have to charge it all of the time.
I'm a little surprised by this (and was surprised to see it in the manual.) Older battery technologies worked best this way (NiCad, for example), but newer types don't. I haven't seen much info on what chemistry type Suunto's battery's are (especially in the newer watches.) Does anyone know?

#14 ·
I wondered this myself. I am not worried because lithium -ion batteries don't have memories. I think it is in the manual as being over cautious. Its impossible not to always charge the battery every time you hook it up to the computer. This perhaps, could be overly cautious like when the manual says not to push any buttons when wet, when the watch is clearly designed for watersports like swimming and kayaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.