WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time this happened I wrote it off as a fluke... but now that it's happened twice in three weeks the "fluke" has been upgraded to a "problem".

My Mudman is about 5 years old, in pretty decent shape. I don't beat it up, don't drive over it, don't drop it off buildings, etc. I wear it at night to sleep and when I do any sports/activity.

The problem is that it seems to be randomly resetting to it's factory default... 00:00 on 01/01/2004 in the Tokyo timezone. It seems to be happening during the day because when I put it on at night before bed the time is around 10 or 11 am.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to fix it? Or is the watch a write-off?

Reactions: twincity

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May be the battery is no longer holding the charge?
Possible, but the battery indicator shows "H"igh. It had dropped to "M"edium earlier this year, but a day on the windowsill and it was back up to H and has been there ever since. Also, since this resetting started (late July) it hasn't synced once overnight.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Do you work with or get near radios or other electronic devices that emit strong EM radiation?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LUW: Not that I know of. Incidentally, these resets are happening during the day when I'm not actually wearing the watch. It's at home, in my basement, on a shelf.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts

Weird. Well, in that case, even though the battery is showing H, you could have a faulty battery, and that would be the simplest explanation. Would it be too much hassle trying a new battery?

·
Registered
904 Posts
This is a battery problem, plain and simple. Charge level and the battery's ability to consistently supply current are two different things, and sadly the charge indicator does not measure the latter.

The failure to sync is a give away. The demand for current is overwhelming the failing battery. I wouldn't be surprised if this is causing the resets to happen at sync time. Try turning auto sync off for now.

Does it drop out when you use backlight too?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Possible, but the battery indicator shows "H"igh. It had dropped to "M"edium earlier this year, but a day on the windowsill and it was back up to H and has been there ever since. Also, since this resetting started (late July) it hasn't synced once overnight.
LUW: Not that I know of. Incidentally, these resets are happening during the day when I'm not actually wearing the watch. It's at home, in my basement, on a shelf.
Did it synch previously in the basement, on a shelf?

I'm just curious because my solar/atomics NEVER synch in my basement, where the rec room/"man cave" is, unless I put them on the Colorado-facing windowsill. My computer desk is underneath a different window, and they have never synched from there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did it synch previously in the basement, on a shelf?

I'm just curious because my solar/atomics NEVER synch in my basement, where the rec room/"man cave" is, unless I put them on the Colorado-facing windowsill. My computer desk is underneath a different window, and they have never synched from there.
On the shelf in the basement is where it is during the day. At night it's on my wrist (upstairs). Under normal circumstances it'll sync a couple of times per week... 2, maybe 3. In the winter, perhaps a little more often. The resets are happening during the day, not when it's trying to sync. The backlight works fine as far as I've seen so far.

I will try changing the battery though. Given it's only a few $$$ it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hmm. I'd still bet a pound to a penny it's the battery, but worth maybe checking the contacts are all ok first, and that it's not an intermittent circuit issue.

Try popping the battery in and out, look for any obvious corrosion / gunk?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Go figure... since I started this thread the watch has synced up 3 nights in a row without a hitch. :-s

Still going to order a battery and keep it close by to replace the next time I have an issue.

·
Banned
111 Posts
Raceaddict,
Get the battery replaced in your GW9000A Mudman. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the rechargeable CL1616 battery is what's the problem in your Mudman.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts