WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this happened to any of you before? 2011 Planet Ocean XL 232.30.46.21.01.003 - I noticed a few minutes ago that my watch had stop running. I turned it over and noticed that the rotor wasn't swinging anymore. I manually wound it, which appears to be working, however... I turned it over again and noticed that there is a screw and washer rolling around back there. I've included pictures with the parts circled.

omega3POed.jpg

Has this happened to anyone before? I'm taking it to the Omega store in Tyson's Corner, VA tomorrow to have it sent in for repairs (thank God for those warranties!) but I wanted to know if this is a more common issue, or if it's just my bad luck.

Thanks, mates.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry about your PO. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anything like this before. I'd be concerned about the loose parts falling into the moving balance spring! Like you said though, this is the kind of thing the warranty is for so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Here's hoping for a quick warranty turnaround!

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Yes I have seen the exact same thing on and aqua terra 2500. Nesbits sent it to Omega Because the screw jammed and damaged the rotor.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
I cannit recall a similar thing since I've been on WUS Omega so I guess it is just bad luck. Sorry to see and hope it is sorted out quickly to your satisfaction.

Nigel

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
It does look like a movement clamp and screw. Hack the movement and keep it one way up so the loose parts stay still and don't get near the balance and it should be a quick fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Oh no, that's not good. :-(
As Chris says, keep it face down and hopefully nothing will get damaged.
I would have thought it's an easy fix for a competent jeweller.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
So the problem is you will likely need to ship it for repair and there is no way to stabilize the screw. I forget what it damaged but it was an expensive part that Nesbits didn't replace normally and they suggested Omega would likely replace the part for the standard servicing fee which they did.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
It's a case clamp and screw. Have had watches arrive in my shop with this many times, from many different brands. Although I would not say it's "common" it's certainly not unheard of. I would keep the watch dial up - you want to keep that against the case back. Dial down will allow it to possibly fall into the movement. Cheers, Al

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I dropped the watch off at the Omega shop in Tyson Corner this morning. The sales rep said he hadn't seen this particular issue crop up in the PO's before.

The watch will get sent out overnight to the Seattle Omega repair shop, and I'll probably see the watch again in 4-6 weeks. I didn't realize that after repairs are made, they actually fully test the watch for two weeks to make sure everything is as it should be.

As always, a great experience with Omega's staff, and I put a deposit down on the Dark Side of the Moon Speedy while I was there.

Thanks again, all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts