WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is a see-through or decorated caseback a must?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to admit that a see-through caseback, or at very minimum a decorated caseback is a must for me. After all, this is a hobby based loosely on the love of mechanical movements. How important is it for you?

·
Registered
150 Posts
A must for me, even if its a generic seiko movement. Unless i have plenty watch of the same movement then its okay, but unlikely since i usually won’t consider a watch with the same movement lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bucks

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am neither here nor there to be honest.

I really like display backs, but wouldn't let the absence of one stop me from picking up something I like. After all, it's only useful when I am not wearing the watch.

·
Vendor
7,914 Posts
If you want to see the beauty from within, it's a must.

It's the best way to show someone who doesn't understand watches, what's it all about.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I don't want to see a Seiko or a Miyota movement. For anything else a display caseback is either a pro or a must.

Reactions: Bucks and Skyjoe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends on the watch, but generally not a necessity.. A typical seiko movement in my opinion isn't good looking and I'd rather have a 1mm thinner watch than a caseback I would not admire much at all. Certain watches (e.g A. Lange & Söhne Datograph) definitely deserve a see-through caseback though 😁

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I once chose an Orient diver over an Invicta, partly
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle
because the Orient had a solid caseback. The Orient was actually slightly more expensive as well. At the time, I thought, "you can't see the caseback while you wear the watch anyway." I have since gotten a couple of watches with display backs, but it's not a priority....if I like the watch otherwise, I won't let the presence or absence of a display back deter me.

·
Registered
Certina Blue Ribbon (1977)
107 Posts
Once I get myself a Seiko SRPE61 I'll order a slim metal caseback from Namoki and put it on. Makes the watch sit lower on the wrist and I would not miss the see-through aspect for a minute.
Now, with a Nomos Campus ... I'd still get the (cheaper) metal caseback version, but I could at least see the point. The movement decoration IS nice.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts