WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is a see-through or decorated caseback a must?

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
What kills me is when a microbrand uses an off the shelf movement and then adds to thickness by giving is an open caseback. Your NH movement isn't pretty enough to make the watch 15mm thick.

Reactions: Bucks

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Obviously, but then you look at the back of the watch to see the movement.
I don't look at the back of mine, so I still don't care about exposed case backs. I own two watches, one has an open back, 300m, it's nothing special to look at, maybe that's why I don't care, the other watches I plan on buying also don't have open backs.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Necessity? No. Desirable? Perhaps; perhaps not.

It's cool to be able to look at a nicely decorated movement. However, the glass tends to stick to my wrist, making it harder to keep the watch feeling the way I prefer, just a little loose on my wrist and able to slide into place when I jiggle my arm. I'm willing to live with that with a higher-end watch - the view makes it worth the minor irritation. But not with a run-of-the-mill one.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Only care if the movement is micro-rotor or manual and only if it is unusual technically. In all other cases it is a gimmick for sophomore consumers who like to gaze at generic ETA clones with blue screws - would have been ok in itself if not for additional 2mm of case thickness.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I cant really answer the poll because my answer is somewhere in the middle. I would consider it something nice 100% of the time. Especially for interesting and/or attractive movements. This is simply because part of the attraction to watches for me is the movement.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I challenge the notion that a display back is a significant contributor to overall thickness. Here is my Epos 3408, 5.9mm with a display back:
Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Everyday carry

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle
Watch Natural material Silver Finger Material property

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’ve never looked at my movements after taking the watch out of the shipping case, really. Wouldn’t pay extra for a display back model over a non.

·
Registered
539 Posts
When starting out in the hobby, display backs impressed me. These days, it has absolutely no impact on my buying decisions.

Browsing the thread it seems many people have gone through this progression as well.

As an aside, does anyone know of a quartz watch with a display back? Genuinely curious to know

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
A non-exhibition caseback suggests to me that the manufacturer is not that proud of what they have done with the movement, so I much prefer to see something like this:
Watch Analog watch Clock Rim Watch accessory

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Exhibition casebacks are good:
Mechanical - if the mech is nicely decorated and/or has a unique architecture.
Quartz - so every few years or so, you can check the ID number of the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a couple watches with see-through backs. They have a gear or two partially exposed and nice work patterns on the bridge and rotor. But I can't really see the details in the pattern with my bare eye, so whenever I look at them in person it doesn't captivate me. I think there are plenty of movements that would mesmerize me in person, but they are out of my price range.

Having a display back definitely catches my attention when I'm browsing online. Even if I don't care for the dial side, I typically check out the back to see if the movement is visible and if so how it looks. At that point, they've held my attention longer and gotten a possible second chance. So maybe it is a marketing gimmick.

Anyway, I would always prefer a display case back, but it hasn't stopped me from buying a watch without one.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
As an aside, does anyone know of a quartz watch with a display back? Genuinely curious to know
Citizen Ecodrive Caliber 0100, world's most accurate watch (without syncing to an external source):
Watch Analog watch Automotive tire Rectangle Watch accessory

Reactions: Bucks and abccoin
61 - 80 of 112 Posts