WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is a see-through or decorated caseback a must?

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
On a dressy watch then ok but not on a diver or military style

Reactions: Bucks

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Only care if the movement is micro-rotor or manual and only if it is unusual technically. In all other cases it is a gimmick for sophomore consumers who like to gaze at generic ETA clones with blue screws - would have been ok in itself if not for additional 2mm of case thickness.
Must feel good to talk down to people who have different opinions. Got a lesson from sporty?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got to admit that a see-through caseback, or at very minimum a decorated caseback is a must for me. After all, this is a hobby based loosely on the love of mechanical movements. How important is it for you?
Decorating is a factor for me.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I enjoy lookin at the movement in my Omega SMP 300 when I’m bored at work. It is the only watch I own with a glass back, I would have bought it with or without it, but I do like it.

Mark

·
Registered
267 Posts
Omega has some excellent solid casebacks, like on the Speedmaster Professional or the new Railmaster. I think a well done solid caseback can have just as much appeal for me as a display caseback.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Don't care for it. Would actually prefer without as it tends to make the watch thinner.

For automatics, probably would vote no on clear case back all together (except for micro rotors) since the rotor blocks nearly half the movement at any given time anyway. There's also less to see if it's a chronograph with a vertical clutch.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Only care if the movement is micro-rotor or manual and only if it is unusual technically. In all other cases it is a gimmick for sophomore consumers who like to gaze at generic ETA clones with blue screws - would have been ok in itself if not for additional 2mm of case thickness.
So an automatic Gronefeld with a display caseback is a gimmick for sophomore consumers? Interesting.

If I’m paying this much for a watch, which I fully intend to someday, you better believe I want to see all of the goodness on the movement. If I’m buying a Rolex, I know what I’m getting and I don’t expect a display caseback. For anything else above about $5k, I want to see the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I generally like it. But I liken it to popping the hood on my cars. Periodically, it's nice to check in and make sure there's nothing obviously wrong (like debris or wobbly rotor) and working smoothly.

And if damn quartz watches aren't going to list the battery size on the caseback, let me see it myself.

I am not too worried about thickness as there's usually not an option anyways.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
So an automatic Gronefeld with a display caseback is a gimmick for sophomore consumers? Interesting.

If I’m paying this much for a watch, which I fully intend to someday, you better believe I want to see all of the goodness on the movement. If I’m buying a Rolex, I know what I’m getting and I don’t expect a display caseback. For anything else above about $5k, I want to see the movement.

@usmc_k9_vet,

Your photo, above, has had me off looking at the 1Hz Dead Seconds piece from Gronefeld. This reference and the rest of the catalogue is amazing(!). There is no end to this ..lol..

Thanks for offering that-

·
Registered
509 Posts
The benefit is usually they are made of sapphire glass, so they scratch less than cheap solid casebacks.

In general though I prefer a well done sculpted caseback because it feels more premium, solid, and often comfortable.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It's a plus but not a factor in deciding

Reactions: Bucks

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I didn't vote, because the poll didn't include "Like 'em, but don't absolutely need 'em".

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
@usmc_k9_vet,

Your photo, above, has had me off looking at the 1Hz Dead Seconds piece from Gronefeld. This reference and the rest of the catalogue is amazing(!). There is no end to this ..lol..

Thanks for offering that-
Gronefeld is putting out some amazing work. It’s not just them on my grail list either. I’m constantly looking at crazy stuff from De Bethune, amazing watches from Voutilainen, A. Lange, the Holy Trinity brands, crazy creations from MB&F, Laurent Ferrier, Czapek, Urban Jurgensen, Romaine Gauthier, H. Moser & Cie, crazy high end Ferdinand Berthoud, and some wild one from Greubel Forsey.

You are right - there is absolutely no end to this!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
As an aside, does anyone know of a quartz watch with a display back? Genuinely curious to know

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
The 9F82A Quartz Movement - Grand Seiko SBGV238
Automotive tire Watch Rim Font Material property

·
Registered
692 Posts
A non-exhibition caseback suggests to me that the manufacturer is not that proud of what they have done with the movement […]
Yes, that will probably be the reason why various manufacturers do without the glass case back on some of their watches. Blancpain, Eterna, IWC and Vulcain must also be ashamed of their movements...

IWC Aquatimer GST:

Caseback

Movement

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Concept 2000:

Caseback

Movement

Vulcain Cricket Aviator Diver X-Treme:

Caseback

Movement

Eterna KonTiki Diver 1000M:

Caseback

Movement

PS: Glashütte Original doesn't seem to be very proud of the manufacture caliber 39-11 either, because after all, they hide the movement in the SeaQ behind engraved steel...

Reactions: usmc_k9_vet

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yes, that will probably be the reason why various manufacturers do without the glass case back on some of their watches. Blancpain, Eterna, IWC and Vulcain must also be ashamed of their movements...

IWC Aquatimer GST:

Caseback

Movement

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Concept 2000:

Caseback

Movement

Vulcain Cricket Aviator Diver X-Treme:

Caseback

Movement

Eterna KonTiki Diver 1000M:

Caseback

Movement

PS: Glashütte Original doesn't seem to be very proud of the manufacture caliber 39-11 either, because after all, they hide the movement in the SeaQ behind engraved steel...
Good point, and excellent examples, however I (personally) feel like I am missing out with a solid caseback.

·
Registered
539 Posts
As an aside, does anyone know of a quartz watch with a display back? Genuinely curious to know

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
The 9F82A Quartz Movement - Grand Seiko SBGV238
View attachment 16170381 [/QUOTE]Thank you. Goes to show a quartz movement can be beautifully decorated too...if effort has been made to beautify the movement, a display back is basically a necessity. Otherwise, why even decorate what is otherwise a purely functional component.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts