WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is a see-through or decorated caseback a must?

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
The 9F82A Quartz Movement - Grand Seiko SBGV238
View attachment 16170381
Thank you. Goes to show a quartz movement can be beautifully decorated too...if effort has been made to beautify the movement, a display back is basically a necessity. Otherwise, why even decorate what is otherwise a purely functional component.
[/QUOTE]
Even stranger when you consider they only do that on anniversary models, which are sometimes more finely-adjusted, but otherwise the same movement, visually (I think).

·
Registered
Ω 3861 Sandwich
194 Posts
Is it necessary....no....do I want to see the movement, especially on a high end reference...yes.....

Reactions: Bucks

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I buy/collect dive watches. For a dive watch, I see a display caseback as a liability - a potential point of ingress for water. So, I personally have no interest in any watches with a display caseback.
I understand and respect your reasoning. If you think of the watch as just a tool, there is no reason to introduce any potential flaw. However, Omega has a ploprof with a display caseback and 1200m water resistance. That makes me think, once we have figured out how to do it, is it still a legitimate concern?

We could argue that windows compromise the structural integrity of commercial airplanes. But through advances of technology this has become such a non-issue that there comes a point that the argument is outdated. I cant help but feel this somewhat applies to some of the more traditionalist arguments often used on the forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got to admit that a see-through caseback, or at very minimum a decorated caseback is a must for me. After all, this is a hobby based loosely on the love of mechanical movements. How important is it for you?
Very much depends on the watch. Quartz movement? No. Dive watch with serious water resistance? No.

I do lean towards watches where you can see the movement, even if they're manual-wind. I agree that a big part of it, for me, is the art of the watch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’ll trade a see-through caseback for a slimmer closed caseback 100 times out of 100.
I agree 100%. Fit is so much more important and thickness beyond 13mm is one of my dealbreakers. Every little bit counts and the caseback adds almost nothing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm a net zero on this one....if the movement is really A+...great. If its average or below, who cares....my issue here is it tends to make the watch thicker...it also really annoys me when its a Ti watch and then they use glass which makes it thicker and weights more. But most of the time, my watch is "on" so can't see the movement anyway....!!!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
not really a necessity but when purchasing my Speedmasters, I wanted one with so i could see the gilded movement... only because its cool, not a necessity though.
ive had speedmasters without and was OK with that as well/

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I like a Sapphire case back on dress Watches, but do not feel it necessary on most others, as it does add some to the overall case height. Vance.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts