WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So, recently, when looking through a drawer trying to find batteries, I found something that seems to e pretty nice. Now, first, I'm not that much into diving watches. I don't really like the huge thick bezels, they just look too clunky. However, I do like some of them, for example those Stowa ProDiver watches.
Back to the thing I was actually going to tell you, I found this rather nice looking 6105 8000:

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Jewellery

It's most probably been my grand dad's, although I will never know since he's passed away a few years ago.
Being honest, I do think it still looks quite nice, and although the case and bezel look 'worn', and the glass is, well, pretty scratched to say the least, I can't really say it's in a bad state.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Everything seems original, but there's some lume falling out of its place at 12 o clock.
Glass is heavily damaged though. Back of the case and crown seem to be just fine.
I'm wondering what the Japan G' stands for, and I've compared some google images, this case has a number above the 'Seiko' logo, where others have not. Does anyone know what that means?

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

The strap has been replaced with a bracelet:

Jewellery Fashion accessory Bracelet Beige Necklace

Now what I'm going to do is check out the possibility and cost of having the glass polished/replaced, and having the mechanics checked, as it is not working very well. It looks quite dead, but after shaking it a few times, it seems to be running just fine for a couple of hours. I also hear some noise when shaking it, and I'm not sure if that's alright. But then again, all I'd like to do is change the bracelet for a nice thick brown leather strap, and then start wearing my first diver.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Go for it, just based on what you said I would get the movement checked and then maybe order a new Crystal but hold off on getting that installed right away, the way it looks now has a certain charm!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
You can use the serial number to date the watch. The 8000 is a great watch and was known as the European model due to the case shape. It is shaped differently than the Japanese model the 8110. If you like the watch and can surmise it was your grandfathers watch, there isn’t anything wrong with it that can’t be made right. A movement service, maybe resume the dial and a new crystal and you would have a nice little Seiko. I would probably order one of the modern tropic watch straps from Uncle Seiko and take that beads of rice bracelet off but that’s just me. Good Luck with your decision.
Kevin

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is too cool. If only that watch could talk, I bet it could tell you some incredible stories. I'd get the movement serviced, dial and hands re-lumed, and I'd get the case and glass lightly polished. I would clean up the glass just enough so that you can tell time, but I'd try to leave as much of the character it has on there as possible with the bezel and glass.

·
Registered
36,366 Posts
Gorgeous German made Beads-Of-Rice bracelet is a winner!

Get the movement serviced and a new crystal and you have a new wrist rocket!

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
Wow, nice!

As others have said, get the movement serviced. The oil has to be dry and gunked up by now. And that missing lume went somewhere.

I’d also pop a sapphire in there for legibility’s sake. Keep the original, but a sapphire would look really sweet.

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
What nobody has addressed is the four-digit number on the caseback. It looks to me like it was stamped in (poorly aligned) maybe with handheld steel stamps. Four digit, could be last four of your grandfather's SSN. Was he a tool and die maker or something along that line? Because if he were he'd have a set (0-8) of hand hammered steel number stamps. It would be easier to do than engrave a name on the back.

Anyway, great watch, hang onto it. If you get it serviced (cleaned and lubed), new crystal and gaskets you'll have a great, vintage, working watch to wear (and maybe in memory of your grandfather).

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
The noise when you shake it is the rotor which winds the watch - it's a weight inside the watch which spins. It takes a while to wind, so if you wear it for a day it'll be wound more and run for a lot longer.
Avoid winding and wearing it. By now all the oils in the watch will have dried up, and running it will only wear down the movement given the friction due to lack of lubrication between the moving parts. Make sure you have it properly serviced before winding and wearing it. Nice find. Have it restored and wear it with pride.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Damn that is one great find - have it serviced and enjoy!

I know one poster suggested that you could have the dial re-lumed but personally I wouldn't go that route, generally refinishing a dial takes a bit of value out of a nice vintage piece and takes away a lot of the charm (just hop onto eBay and look at the re-dialed or re-lumed Seiko divers and other vintage watches coming out of places like the Philippines or India to see what I mean). I also reckon it'd look awesome on a rubber strap... I was a bit hesitant to go that route myself at first so I understand, but with a diver it just fits the overall look so much better than leather in my opinion. I went with a "tropic" style rubber on my 6309 and I love it, but it'd look 10 x better again on your much rarer 6105! :-!

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Great find, that's a wonderful watch.

Have it serviced only (don't mess with the dial or old lume, it doesn't need it). I'd get a new crystal but keep the old one.

Other than that, just wear it and enjoy it (after you service it).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, thanks for the replys guys!

Today I went to a local watchmaker and I told him most of what I wanted to tell him, and he told me the noise the watch makes when shaking is just fine, as someone in this thread said.

He also mentioned that it could somehow have a hard time keeping time because of this lume part rolling that has fallen off the 12 o clock mark, like brandon\ said. He is going to open the watch soon and see if there's any problems, it'll hopefully cost me about 150 euro's. The guy also told me that he isn't going to re-lume the dial because it might become too messy, and told me to live with the fact that a small part has come off. But hey, it's got something special, right ;)

I think I'm fine with the crystal as it is now, but I might as well change it later on.

Surely I will look for a thick brown leather strap to finish it, I'm not a big fan of bracelets (or rubber straps for that matter, sorry ;) )

I'll keep you guys updated when the good old man (hopefully) gives me some good news!

I wish I have drawers like yours. My drawers always contain bills that I have to settle.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
Don't worry, I think I just saved it from the bills that are in my drawer as well...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.