WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought it from Arizona Fine Time (azfinetime.com) on monday and it arrived at my door in Norway on thursday (very pleasant buying experience from azfinetime by the way, highly recommended AD!). Absolutely love it, such a cool and no-nonsense watch that feels incredibly solid on the wrist.

I was worried that the size of 46,5mm would be a problem, but I think it both feels and looks perfect on my wrist. Granted, I'm 190cm and can manage a bigger watch, but it honestly wears a lot smaller than it is. In fact, it wears about the same or even smaller than the Omega PO 8500 42mm I had before. This is probably because the dial size is about the same as with the normal monsters, it's just the extra protective shroud that increases the diameter, and it's the dial that draws the eye in most. It also sits much flatter than the PO did, which is nice and makes it seem a lot less "intrusive".

The level of finishing, detail and feeling of quality is just insane for the price, it's truly impressive how Seiko manages to pack this much punch into a watch costing no more than around 500$. Seiko is just in its own league when it comes to the watchquality/price ratio in my opinion. At 431$ this is a great deal.

It's also pretty cool that I can get the movement (4r36) to run pretty much exactly +0 seconds a day by regulating it through different resting positions over night. It lost about 10 seconds the first day on the wrist, but "won" it back by resting with the crystal up over night, making it run spot on again. Today it has lost about 5 seconds so far. This means that by regulating it by using different resting positions I can always get it back to roughly the correct time, which is really cool. Quite a nifty way to make a relatively inaccurate movement run accurate. I like it, it makes the day to day watch life feel more involved and makes the watch feel more alive.

Great to know that this movement and these watches are built like tanks, and will easily last a lifetime if serviced regularly. A true diver that will be on my wrist a lot!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I like this one a lot, but I'm lusting after a 639 as I love the yellow, and the silver shroud / black bezel contrast… GRRRRRR why doesn't anyone have them???
That's probably because its likely the most popular of the 3 models released so far. And that there's a demand for it everywhere !
Wished that they would release it in Black/Red or Black/Orange or Black/Neon Green ... think they would look killer ! :D

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
Do we have a thread that lists the differences with this new Monster?

·
Registered
485 Posts
With my recent SKX purchase and subsequent Planet Ocean mod, I can say that my collection is officially "done." This of course means that there is still room for one more - and it will be the Tuna Monster.

Congrats on your purchase - looks great!

Reactions: PYLTN

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
My current thrashing around in confused little circles searching for the next watch has seen me contemplate the OM over and over again. Just as I thought I'd made my mind up I saw the Monster Baby Tuna and I think I'm in love.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Great! I can really recommend it. Having owned it for over a month now and worn it every single day for this period, I can honestly say it has kept growing on me. I really have not gotten tired of wearing it daily one bit, in fact quite the opposite, the other watches are getting a break right now.

The things that stand out to me after a month of use that I like better and better is:

1. The cool shroud design that makes it look so no-nonsense and tough. There is some really nice machining details on it with fine tolerances around the bezel, and the brushed finish really is cool.
2. The dial which has a beautiful matte finish.
3. The hour markers has pretty sparkly and polished edges that catch the light in a really pleasing way in the sun.
4. The deep chapter ring that gives the whole dial a cool feeling of depth and 3D to it.

Here's a few more pictures of it:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Great! I can really recommend it. Having owned it for over a month now and worn it every single day for this period, I can honestly say it has kept growing on me. I really have not gotten tired of wearing it daily one bit, in fact quite the opposite, the other watches are getting a break right now.

The things that stand out to me after a month of use that I like better and better is:

1. The cool shroud design that makes it look so no-nonsense and tough. There is some really nice machining details on it with fine tolerances around the bezel, and the brushed finish really is cool.
2. The dial which has a beautiful matte finish.
3. The hour markers has pretty sparkly and polished edges that catch the light in a really pleasing way in the sun.
4. The deep chapter ring that gives the whole dial a cool feeling of depth and 3D to it.

Here's a few more pictures of it:

Thanks for the info! It does look a lovely watch. With the Monsters - SRP309 etc. - I found I liked them but there was a slight doubt about the bezel part of the watch. I think the metal shroud on the Tuna is the thing that swings it for me. I'm only a recent convert to Seiko mechanicals but I love them. The quality is superb.

PS. great photos!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Great new pics, Kohe - thanks for sharing! BTW, I think you get the credit for pushing me over the edge on this one...

Congrats on the new piece, CW.

Mine should be in, either tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't wait!

Reactions: Kohe321

·
Registered
950 Posts
It's a very nice watch. I flipped mine, but I think I regret doing so.

·
Registered
989 Posts
So I finally got a SRP 639 and I LOOOOOVE it.

While I dig the rubber strap, I wouldn't mind getting an SS bracelet for it, the same OEM one that comes on the 637. Does anyone know if it's available for purchase anywhere? This one is slightly wider than the Orange Monster bracelet I believe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum and since my first Seiko 5 nearly one year ago I think I've become a Seiko freak.
I've been dying to get a monster since then, when I saw the new SRP637 I thought I needed it ^^

I live in France and I saw it at seiko's catalogue here. So last week I went to my local jeweller ask if they got it. He told me it was too big and didn't ordered it as well as the new prospex kinetics SUN0xx.
But he told me he will oreder it for me to see it fits my arm. So if it does I know I will buy it, maybe not from him...

That's the point of my message here: what is the correct price for this watch?
On the french Seiko website they advertise it at 489 euros for the maximum retail price!!! (~500+ $) and it's a K1 version. On some photos here we can clearly see "japan" on the dial so J version exists.
I know it maybe not be of any quality difference but for the market it counts.
So even if I include the VAT I find that it is overpiced compared to the prices that can be found here and there on well known websites.
I will try to negociate with my jeweller but it's not really the culture here in France ^^.
So what do you think is a decent price for the watch? Thank you for any advice.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.