WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, once again I need to tap in to your vast collective note to either reassure me or give me the opportunity to buy a new 'G' (I only have one!)

What follows has happened twice to my gw-056e-1ver, it is two years old and it has always displayed 'Hi' charge and it NEVER fails to sync in the UK. It has been a great watch, but. . . When using a feature such as the stopwatch or CDT the watch goes completely dead - blank screen, unresponsive to keys etc. It shows one very small symbol which I think reads 'chg', now this seems strange since the cell was previously 'Hi'. The watch stays in this condition for 30-60mins then it comes back to normailty displaying correct time, but it resets to the 1st Jan 2000! Forcing or waiting for sync sorts that out and the watch is fine for 2-6 months.

Is this a sign of cell failure (even though high charge reported by watch prior to and subsequent to episode) or a watch failure or just a random glitch? Anyone else have similar happen to them? Should I get a new 'G' (I know what you guys will say to that one!;-) )It is very annoying and it somewhat mars an otherwise perfect watch for me. What is the most reliable 'G' I could buy?

Many thanks

Steve

p.s. sorry to be a bit of a forum vampire i.e. consuming knowledge with minimal posting back - I hope to remedy this in the future!

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Simply get a new battery - it's powered by a CTL1616 which shouldn't be too hard or expensive to get. It's changed just like any normal battery. No need to throw away the watch I'd say.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
It sounds like the watch has not charged fully (ie barely reaching high instead of fully at high). Have you tried leaving in direct sunlight for several hours? Check the manual for recommend durations. One full day of sunlight should do the trick.

I would try this before contemplating a battery change.

Search this G-shock forum, I've seen several posts on this fully high charging issue.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I've seen quite often in the past that when rechargeable batteries reach the end of their life, they give false "High" readings but then fail quite quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts