WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I've been around this sub-forum for a while and recently I came across the recognition that the threads here are mostly about members asking others to help them out (which, of course, is a normal thing and I'm sure that everybody is willing to assist to anybody).

Anyway, I figured out, I should start a bit different thread… In January I've been to a museum (in my girlfriend's town, next to the Austrian border) where they exhibit various old professions of the early 20th century. They have little 'cellars' made of glass where the curator equipped and furnished each cellar , as the master's workshop used to look like. He tried to keep as realistic as possible. I'm lucky enough, to know the grandson (!) of the watchmaker whom these tools, clocks and everything else you see, used to belong. He (the grandson, of course) is now in his mid-50s, but unfortunately not much of a watch fan, and he told me that when his grandfather died his father gave his grandfather's watch making heritage to the city, forming the 'base' and creating the main idea of the museum around 1988, I guess.

That's all guys, hope you'll enjoy the pics! Thanks for reading, and let me know your thoughts or similar photos perhaps!;-)

Ps: sorry 'bout the lousy pics, but it's quite difficult to take pictures through a glass-wall when there's no light inside and not much coming from outside either!:oops:

the watchmaker-master (by the way he was also a big photographer :))

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you Blaise, for begin this "fresh" and original thread :-!

I hope, I can show you in the next future a similar old watchmaker workshop, here in dowtown Mexico City, where there is a small but interesting "museum"

Salud;-)s

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Amazing to see that the Masterwatchmakers of old could work with that equipment!
True artists!

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
Amazing to see that the Masterwatchmakers of old could work with that equipment!
True artists!
Gee... when I first saw the pics I was amazed how little the equipment has changed over the years... but machinists can indeed be true artists.

I saw a YouTube of modern Rolex case machining... all NC (numeric control). I was suprised on looking through some of the posts here (actually some of the links pointed to) to see that NC is now available for home use! THAT is a major change.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
You mean the non-NC/CNC stuff still looks like that?
You watchmakers are really true old fashioned artists! And I mean that in the positive way! |>|>
And I thought the "basic" dentistry was old fashioned compared to the other " crafts". Our last major invention, the High Speed turbine, was designed in the 1950ies!

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
You mean the non-NC/CNC stuff still looks like that?
You watchmakers are really true old fashioned artists! And I mean that in the positive way! |>|>
And I thought the "basic" dentistry was old fashioned compared to the other " crafts". Our last major invention, the High Speed turbine, was designed in the 1950ies!
Well, the examples given in the pic were larger than I have seen in modern watchmaker shops but they were similar enough you could identify most of the parts.

On dentistry... when was that ultrasonic plaque remover invented? It's not a tool but I think the last major invention of dentistry is the implant... great things implants :-!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Personally I like those silicon drills that sandblast the decay rather than giving all the heat and vibration.

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
I hate the turbine whine... fortunately as I have gotten older it bothers me less and less... why is that? :-s

Huh? Did you say something? :-d

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Titanium screw implants were invented in the late 50ies- early 60ies by prof Ingvar Branemark, Gothenburg Sweden. Ultrasonic scalers have been around for about the same time.
The "sandblaster" works well on "new" decay, not so well on old amalgam fillings. The old amalgam (containing mercury) gets airbourne, and inhaled by the operating staff. Not good.
Laser "drills" came in late 80ies, still not perfected.
The High Speed drill is still the best tool. I have tried the other methods, a couple of months each, but went always back to the drill.

Of course, the actual instruments have been refined. Ceramic ballbearings, titanium housings etc.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys you've gone away from this thread pretty much...Mr MacDonald, move this to the DentistToSeek forum!!:):)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
That's OK. We don't run that tight a ship here. :oops: It was fun talking a little dentistry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts