WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I don't wear my Orient Mako XL enough and I wear my Deep Blue Sun Diver quite often but whenever I wear either of these watches it makes me think of how great they are for the price. I was particularly thinking of this as it relates to 5 of my many bracelet watches that I wear often... My Omega, Maurice Lacroix, Ball B&O, Orient Mako XL, and Deep Blue Sun Diver. This led me to run an experiment this past weekend with my wife and two of my sons. I asked them to rank these 5 watches based on their personal likings and then rank them from most expensive to least expensive from their best guess.

I was a little surprised by the results but I felt they were a little influenced by the fact that my wife and sons know a little about my watches so I decided to survey 7 other people outside of my house. So, I laid the watches out, had them examine them and.. here are the results.....

Subject #1

Likes ..Omega, Orient, Deep Blue, Maurice Lacroix, Ball
Price ..Orient, Deep Blue, Omega, Ball, Maurice Lacroix

Subject#2

Likes ..Orient, Ball, Omega, Deep Blue, Maurice Lacroix
Price ..Ball, Omega, Maurice Lacroix, Orient, Deep Blue

Subject #3

Likes ..Ball, Omega, Maurice Lacroix, Orient, Deep Blue
Price ..Omega, Deep Blue, Orient, Ball, Maurice Lacroix

Subject #4

Likes ..Deep Blue, Orient, Omega, Maurice Lacroix, Ball
Price ..Orient, Omega, Deep Blue, Ball, Maurice Lacroix

Subject #5

Likes ..Orient, Omega, Maurice Lacroix, Deep Blue, Ball
Price ..Omega, Orient, Maurice Lacroix, Deep Blue, Ball

Subject #6

Likes ..Omega, Maurice Lacroix, Ball, Deep Blue, Orient
Price ..Orient, Deep Blue, Omega, Maurice Lacroix, Ball

Subject #7

Likes ..Omega, Ball, Orient, Deep Blue, Maurice Lacroix
Price ..Omega, Maurice Lacroix, Orient, Deep Blue, Ball

Some results were pretty surprising. Once I averaged out the scores, the final rankings were as follows...

FINAL RESULTS

Likes ..Omega(1.9), Orient(2.6), (tie)Maurice Lacroix(3.3), Ball(3.3), Deep Blue(3.6)
Price ..Omega(1.9), Orient(2.1), Deep Blue(3.1), Maurice Lacroix(3.9), Ball (4)

The confirmation for me came in where people thought Orient and Deep Blue ranked as far a price... 2 and 3 respectively. I thought it was interesting. Anyway, I had too much time on my hand. Thank you for indulging me!

5 Ranks.jpg

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Interesting...:think:

I admire your commitment and patience.

I've done something similar, but with my tobacco pipes. The results were extremely favourable to Dunhill and Castello and this from non-smokers (I'm a non-smoker myself, now) opinions. Never found a plausible justification. :-s

Good luck! ;-)

·
Registered
813 Posts
For the sake of clarification, is the price increasing left to right or right to left? Higher number is a higher price, or lower?
Yep, the data seems difficult to understand.

So if I read it correctly the Deep Blue was the most liked and the Ball was thought to be the most expensive.

The Omega was the least liked and thought to be the cheapest……..ouch.

Or did I get it backwards????

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, the data seems difficult to understand.

So if I read it correctly the Deep Blue was the most liked and the Ball was thought to be the most expensive.

The Omega was the least liked and thought to be the cheapest……..ouch.

Or did I get it backwards????
That is backward. Sorry. Left to right. Lower score is better score.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the sake of clarification, is the price increasing left to right or right to left? Higher number is a higher price, or lower?
Sorry. Lower number is higher price.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I think 1 is high and 5 is low.

It is interesting that people disliked the white faced watches and thought them cheaper (ML and Ball)

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think 1 is high and 5 is low.

It is interesting that people disliked the white faced watches and thought them cheaper (ML and Ball)
There is actually only one white face - the Ball. There is a glare on the Omega. You know my pictures are bad.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
LOL, i was totally trying to remember the ML and I could not remember the white face so I thought it must be it :)

There is actually only one white face - the Ball. There is a glare on the Omega. You know my pictures are bad.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
And on your photo quality. Yeah uits not great, but it gives a good impression of how "similar" the watches are at a quick glance.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
THe sticky bezel, weak bracelet and the goofy weekday pusher on the regular Mako kill it for me. How's the bezel on yours? (and I don't think the XL has the weekday pusher but can't tell from your picture :p)

Actually, my Mako far exceeds my Monster in quality in my opinion.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THe sticky bezel, weak bracelet and the goofy weekday pusher on the regular Mako kill it for me. How's the bezel on yours? (and I don't think the XL has the weekday pusher but can't tell from your picture :p)
Bezel is good and I do have day pusher.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Cool, Interesting use of metrics. Funny how Orient being the "lesser" of the brands compared, Scored higher than it's more pricey counterparts.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Give him a break....He's from D.C.......Everybody knows they don't know up from down, left from right!......:)
i think it is actually...He's from DC...he doesn't know websites!!! (too political?)

EDIt--will he have to lock his own thread????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts