WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

One of my favourite watches is this LOV Précision, clean and simple, with lots of "je ne sais quoi"

It runs the ever faithful Cupillard 233, and hails from Villers-le-Lac. LOV was the brand name of the family business, Ets Hubert Lambert et Fils, whose workshops were on the rue Maréchal Foch. The original name of the village was Lac Ou Villers, hence LOV. LOV were recognised in the trade as being one of the better quality marques of the lower mid price range, and produced, as well as the various Précisions, a later varied range called Espadon (Swordfish), and the Aqua Sports range amongst others.
LOV traded successfully through the 1950's and 60's, still under family control, and a number of the company's promotional items can still be found, ranging from Buvards to football keyrings!

By the late 1960’s, like so many of its contemporaries, LOV were suffering for their indifference to the market changes of the beginning of the quartz era, and were, like Herma, acquired by Marcel Rième’s Cupillard-Rième, and incorporated into Finhor. Which after then including Esperanto, Sodexhor & Blind became Framelec in 1970

Over the next few years it all went from bad to worse, Framelec was taken over by the then owners of Jaz, then Matra, seemingly at the behest of the French Government took over and became involved in all aspects of the business, so by 1981 it looked like this:

According to Marcel Rième, he had become so disillusioned with the French government and with Matra and its dealings with Seiko that he resigned in October 1981. Within 3 years Framelec and its component parts had vanished in their original form forever.

As you may know I generally only have one watch of each brand, so here's some other LOVs you may come across:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Another great, well written thread John....

... plus, you do like a good (bad) pun!!

LOVing the caseback design.....

Thanks again for spending the time to comprise this.... another introduction to a brand I had not heard of.

Marc

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hi!

Nice watches and great info about the French watch industry, thanx!
And I finally know where my Esperanto comes from.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi!

Nice watches and great info about the French watch industry, thanx!
And I finally know where my Esperanto comes from.
I'm still searching for an Esperanto I like, all that's usually around are from the Matra days, and no way should an outfit that were involved with the design of Simca cars be allowed near a watch. I should know, I had one once!

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I think the first LOV - the Precision - is a really good looking watch with one of the nicest case backs I've ever seen. And the last one has (pretty much) the same dial as my Aurore.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Lovely read ! From France with lov.

But where did it go ? In July 1983 FRAMELEC, JAZ and YEMA ceased to exist as separate companies : though they kept their separate names they became one company, "MH", the "Manufacture Horlogère", part of the Holding Matra Horlogerie.

But by the end of the 1980's JAZ-YEMA apparently became part of the "CGH", "Compagnie Générale Horlogère" of the HATTORI group, as can be seen in this logo.

yema_p10.jpg

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have to second what Marrick says ....."I think the first LOV - the Precision - is a really good looking watch with one of the nicest case backs I've ever seen. "

Really nice! and the Dive watch is rockin' cool!
Nice write up John, well done!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lovely read ! From France with lov.

But where did it go ? In July 1983 FRAMELEC, JAZ and YEMA ceased to exist as separate companies : though they kept their separate names they became one company, "MH", the "Manufacture Horlogère", part of the Holding Matra Horlogerie.

But by the end of the 1980's JAZ-YEMA apparently became part of the "CGH", "Compagnie Générale Horlogère" of the HATTORI group, as can be seen in this logo.

View attachment 696192
Thanks very much for taking the history a little farther forward, I keep seeing some people saying that there's no information to be found on the so called lost makers like LOV, not so, it's out there somewhere waiting to be found, so thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts