WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hand-wind centre-second Poljot movement with a y-shaped full bridge, in its many variants, is well known to all; Roland Ranff has documented some variants too:

Certainly it is a good one, built in large numbers and is very common, but there is one of similar specifications but totally different design:

... which seems to be less common and possibly earlier. Is it because it has some inherent weakness or it has less development headroom, so that Poljot abandoned it?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
As far as I know this was a fine movement, probably just more expensive to make than the next model. A good and reliable Soviet movement.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pmwas; I actually have a bare movement like that, I have not checked if it's working or not. It would be a straight swap if one of the common "y-bridge" type conks out, I presume?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I'm not sure if the dial will fit. It might not, actually, because I don't think I've ever seen such "frankens".

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to bear that in mind! But if I have an original one with that movement, I have one to spare in case it needs replacement parts too.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
From the Russian-language watch forum - info based on a leaflet from 1967 (http://forum.watch.ru/showthread.php?p=228385&highlight=2609#post228385): first experimental batches produced in 1965, mass production since 1966, slim movement with classical kynematic scheme, 17 jewels, screwless balance, 26 mm diameter, 3.2 mm high, 20 gramms weight, 43 hours of power reserve, 1st class accuracy.

Babanin mensions only that this movement was not successful and was redesigned in 2609.2 (Soviet watches). My current favorite, a 30-jewels Poljot auto is based on this movement, frighteningly accurate, don't know why it was not considered sucessful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts