WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I've not seen any real-world pics of the Casio AMW320B-1AV around here yet, so I'd thought I'd post a few to enable you ;-).

I saw this one at Costco yesterday for $80 CAD ($90 something incl taxes) and decided to snap it up. The MSRP in the US is 110 USD, so the price I paid really isn't too bad considering there was no shipping to factor in.

Anyhow, to the watch itself, I'm very impressed. I like ana-digis and this one is a new addition to the venerable AMW320 series. I was never too taken with the other models for one reason or another, but this one really caught my eye. A common complaint with this type of watch is that the hands obscure the digital section, but no such worries here: the hands are short enough that they never cover the LCD.

There is no light on this one however, which means that the digital display is invisible at night. For me though that's not an issue, as the only thing I need to see on a watch in the dark is the time. I tried it out and the lume is easily visible all night. The lume pics show what it's like after being charged - the second lume shot is a 4 second exposure, so it's a bit of a cheat, but the first one is true to life.

The black ion plating looks very sleek and seems as if it will put up with considerable abuse. One of the things that struck me about this watch is how good the fit and finish are, especially for a low cost affordable. I'd say it's better than many other watches costing quite a lot more (for example there's zero dust under the crystal unlike my equivalent priced Swatches). The 120 click bezel is bi-directional and lines up perfectly with the 12 o'clock marker. It moves very smoothly and, surprisingly, isn't as easy to move by a simple knock as I thought it would be. The addition of the bezel compliments the digital chronograph nicely (which measures up to 59:59:99), because this means that the watch effectively has either 2x 1hr stopwatches, or a 1 hour stopwatch and a 1 hour countdown timer. Of course the bezel can also be used to time 24hrs if set to the hour instead of the minute marker.

As others have already said of this series, these aren't true diver's watches due to the WR of 100m and the bi-directional bezel, but for anyone who never goes any deeper under water than the bottom of the swimming pool, this watch is more than adequate. The resin strap is very comfortable by the way and has a black IP buckle that matches the case and dial. Also, the stainless steel case with screw-back has a 22mm lug width which opens up a wide choice of strap options if you want a change every now and then.

The movement of course is the tried and tested 2701 Casio Japanese quartz module equipped with basic features such as day/date, time, alarm, dual time and stopwatch and has a predicted battery life of 2 years. I primarily view this Casio as an analogue watch and will have the display showing day and date 99.9% of the time, just like a standard dive-type watch. The extra functions for me are a nice bonus, so, as mentioned before, the lack of a backlight is a moot point.

The mineral crystal is flush with the bezel, but it looks as if the bezel would provide some protection due to its width. In any case, considering the cost of this watch I'm hardly going to lose any sleep if it does get scratched (one key reason, amongst many, for liking affordables IMHO).

Well, I think that about wraps it up, so here are the pics:

:)

Attachments

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
That's one serious looking Casio. Nice choice!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts
That's the first time I've seen it in PVD, looks great! I am quite happy with my gold dial version, it's a great watch and I pretty much got it for free on sale at Kohls with my wife's Kohl's Cash :-!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like An-Dig's myself also.
Mine has a light. (HA-HA-HA)

Had this since mid 80's and just got a new module for it a few weeks ago since it died about 8-10 years ago.
This thing has a lot of wrist time on it.

BTW, I like that Casio.
Am going to Costco this Sat, will be on the look-out for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was surprised to come across this new black version of the venerable Casio AMW320 several weeks ago. Ordered one on-line after a week of deliberation. Didn't want to seem too impulsive, right? Anyway, it looks great- quite unique with the black IP finish. Put it on a plain strap for now, but have a kevlar style on the way. I like to change up my watches with different straps, always gives quite a different look. But, in order to use the original buckle which matches the case finish, any replacement strap must be 22mm at the buckle, of course. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
What is the case diameter with/without the crown? I'm finding contradicting information and trying to figure out if it would fit on my 6.5" wrist. Also, lug width?

Thanks (and great photos)!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1 on everything the OP, Pelican, said. I bought one of these used on ebay or amazon for $40 and I love it for everyday usability, for work (I sometimes time things for my job) and its price.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
+1 on everything the OP, Pelican, said. I bought one of these used on ebay or amazon for $40 and I love it for everyday usability, for work (I sometimes time things for my job) and its price.
Nice to see this thread coming back again recently, there are some great deals to be had for this watch right now.
Congrats on the $40 pick up - not a bad price for a cool-looking everyday watch.
Cheers and enjoy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
These really are great watches. I've had 4 of this line of Casio Ana-Digis... going back to when the digital display was "curved" between the 4 & 8 o'clock marks and the one that had the digital display at the 3 o'clock position. (Dang hard to read)

In this particular model I've owned both the black/stainless & gold/stainless.... both of which were bulletproof but for my constant beatings that diminished the looks somewhat. I have one sitting on a shelf (sans band) in my garage where I used to take my cigarette breaks. I quit smoking a year ago, but the watch keeps a tickin'. ;)

Anyway.... Like the OP I was never 100% sold on the appearance, even though I loved the function. This one however breaks that stigma. I ordered one today.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I like An-Dig's myself also.
Mine has a light. (HA-HA-HA)

Had this since mid 80's and just got a new module for it a few weeks ago since it died about 8-10 years ago.
This thing has a lot of wrist time on it.

BTW, I like that Casio.
Am going to Costco this Sat, will be on the look-out for it.
--MY watch is on a ss expansion bracelet. IT is a Celsius Nine (TM) 50m wr Made in Hong Kong, RAFFOLER LTD N.Y)I touched up the case with black nail polish and the light button is painted orange.Mine is useful, for draining the battery:-d.HEY, I have that exact same watch as yours! I bought mine at a Thrift shop In Williamsburg VA( Yes that Williamsburg with Colonial Williamsburg and William and Mary College) in NOV 2009.Then I went over to the Hardees across the street and had a burger and fries and a Root beer.I walked from my Hotel about a mile.It was a good day away from training.Thanks for helping me remember that.:-!

·
Registered
289 Posts
What is the case diameter with/without the crown? I'm finding contradicting information and trying to figure out if it would fit on my 6.5" wrist. Also, lug width?

Thanks (and great photos)!!
I don't have it with me here for the precise measurements but I believe that it is a 45 mm diameter excluding the crown. It's a big boy, especially if you wear it on the original rubber band, because those ripples add more bulk to it. I have mine on black and gray nato, and I think it looks good on my 7 inch wrist. If by lug width you mean band size, it's 22mm. I'm not sure about the lug to lug distance though.
It's my "activities/sports" watch. I would have prefered the chrono to be in the HH:MM:SS format, though. I really don't need the 1/100 s when I'm timing stuff, but I would've liked to have hours when timing the bike rides or hikes.
Here's a picture of it on a nato.

Cheers!

Dejan

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts