WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received an email from Citizen, nothing unusual about that, receive one about once a month. What was surprising was what is now being offered on the US site.

The Citizen with a blue dial and the A010 is being offered for the first time, as far as I know. It is also being offered at Black Friday pricing, which puts the price with discounts at about 2k. Not sure when the sale ends, but it might be Friday.

Perhaps more models that were previously available only from vendors in Japan will pop up on the site.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Do you have a link for where it can be purchased from the US website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just go to the site and search mens watches over 1K. I guess you need to use the "VIP" code they sent which is BLACKFRIDAY19 at checkout to get the additional 15% off. You will see the initial 20% discount when you click on the watch.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
I'm seeing the blue dial 4000...but that's the A060. 2300. Not seeing a blue dial A010.

Direct link would be handy, as the stupid site is HORRIFICALLY organized. The 2 A010s can be found by model number (AQ1 does it)...but aren't showing in a general > $1000 check, or in any of the special areas (luxury, limited edition/exclusive, etc.)

Ohhh...perhaps the issue is that...the details shown for the AQ4000-51L say the movement is the A010. IDIOTS at the US distributorship can't even get that right? IIRC, when the A060 was released, this was one of the initial trio...could be slightly wrong, and the black and white dials came first, with the blue a little later. They're also saying it's 40mm...citizen.jp says it's 38.5. (And A060.) Maybe they're including the crown, but that's foolish.

Last: found one store in Japan that offered shipping worldwide, that listed it. For WELL under 2K. This is an old model. citizen.jp lists it at 230,000 yen, so that'd be $2100. citizenwatch.usa is saying the MSRP is $2900.

So they're either lying or moronic.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually it is showing for $1972 free 2 day shipping on the US site. Click on the watch. I did a quick browse of Japan pricing I saw below 2k for used but well above 2k for new, not counting duties.

This model is current in Japan isn’t it.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
Nope. It's a new watch. And, yeah, wbird, it's still showing in the catalog on citizen.jp, so it's still in production, I presume...but it also wouldn't surprise me that this is like the Seiko Grand Seiko double-branded that'd been still out there when they switched. There are Chronomaster-tagged blue dial A060's out there, and I believe most, if not all, recent A060's have the Chronomaster. The eagle badge hasn't always been included.

Not that I think there's any issue, even if it is discontinued. Long as the A060's are out there, it shouldn't much matter.

Yeah, they're showing the additional discount now, so it's a touch under 2k...and no worries about customs, no hassle with international shipping, no issues with international credit card charges. So, certainly much less hassle.

Heck with it. OK. PP Credit doesn't have anything on it.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. It's a new watch. And, yeah, wbird, it's still showing in the catalog on citizen.jp, so it's still in production, I presume...but it also wouldn't surprise me that this is like the Seiko Grand Seiko double-branded that'd been still out there when they switched. There are Chronomaster-tagged blue dial A060's out there, and I believe most, if not all, recent A060's have the Chronomaster. The eagle badge hasn't always been included.

Not that I think there's any issue, even if it is discontinued. Long as the A060's are out there, it shouldn't much matter.

Yeah, they're showing the additional discount now, so it's a touch under 2k...and no worries about customs, no hassle with international shipping, no issues with international credit card charges. So, certainly much less hassle.

Heck with it. OK. PP Credit doesn't have anything on it.
All good, the thing is I wasn't that interested in the model or movement as much as a Chronomaster or "The Citizen" or whatever they call it is on the US website. If they follow their typical discount pricing practices this will bring all those Japanese companies that have been catering to international for JDM product some serious competition. Gotta be good for the consumer in the US.

Considering the asking price for this model on ebay the Citizen price is not a bad deal. Granted there might be a better deal if you hunt for it.

Perhaps this is the first step before we actually start seeing them in some retail stores. Wouldn't be much of a stretch at that pricing to place them in Macy's next to the Sat-Wave.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
Oh, for sure, this one's not as interesting as the washi dials, and the Chronomaster is cool.

I don't see them moving quickly to expanding their footprint into a Macy's or similar, not with these. I got my ED One from a dealer who ordered it; I think that, and the Citizen boutique in NYC, are still gonna be the limit for some time. All 3 of these are old models; the AQ4000's been superceded with both the 4030 (paper dials in the same 3 colors) and 4040-54's (blue and off-white). And all the 40xy's other than the straight 4000's...are Chronomaster labeled, so quite honestly? It sounds like they're using the US distributor to offload them.

Reactions: tomchicago

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,776 Posts
I do not see chronometers in the US sold outside of the boutiques. Without being rude, 0100 regular production does not seem likely when more
LEs can be sold.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
Is Citizen clearing inventory for regular production 0100's?
That could be a secondary aspect, but I'd still suspect it's the labeling aspect first...clear out the non-Chronomasters. I'd have to check, but there've been quite a few A060 releases AFTER Baselworld this year, I believe. That's not exactly clearing the decks.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A060 future is oddly positioned after 0100, as certainly is Grand Seiko HAQ. Citizen have the chance now to sweep the HAQ segment and I hope they know it. Imagine a 20bar 0100 diver release-- sales would be huge. Dress watches of course also, plus GMT, Day-Date, etc.

That could be a secondary aspect, but I'd still suspect it's the labeling aspect first...clear out the non-Chronomasters. I'd have to check, but there've been quite a few A060 releases AFTER Baselworld this year, I believe. That's not exactly clearing the decks.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
In case anyone is interested Sakurawatches.com (no affiliation) typically has the lowest price around on Chronomaster Citizens such as the AQ4041-54L blue dial with A060 and the white dial Tosa Washi AQ4020-54Y for $2287. The new limited edition AQ4050-02L blue dial is $3014.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frankly my head hurts trying to figure out Citizen and Grand Seiko marketing strategy but this could be the start of something interesting. The fact that Citizen is putting any of the Chronomaster line on the US website is pretty significant.

Up to this point by limiting distribution to Japan and a domestic dealer base, for international sales, they were able to control and maintain priceing with very little discounts. This model for example has a few Japanese vendors selling it for around $2.5k on ebay. Sure there may a vendor out there selling one cheaper, if you hunt, but most buyers will go with Citizen US and avoid the all the hassles as Gangrel pointed out. The point is they were able to hold luxury status and priceing for this product line and these models.

The minute they hit the US website they will be treated like all the other products on the site. Routine sales and price reductions, look at the price drops on the Sat-Wave and ED One as examples. They aren't treating them as luxury products anymore. Remember even old stock sold by those Japanese vendors pretty much held the prices.

Maybe Citizen will position the 0100 as the luxury line, no discounts on the site this week on those watches. Everything else is just part of the inventory or now commodity not luxury watches. Time will tell. But one thing is certain it was never easier to get a Citizen A060 in two days for under 2k direct from Citizen for anyone not living in the tristate area.

Just a quick thought on 0100 I really don't think the Citizen concept of redialing a watch calling it an LE is the path to increased interest and sales. Repeat customers are important in the watch market, if I buy an 0100, I'm not buying another unless it is significantly different from the one I have.

I'm not interested in a dive watch variation, I would never dive with it and the fact that it is accurate to 1 spy is really not much added value to a diver on a 60 minute dive. But, if it had that accuracy along with an attractive equally accurate moonphase complication, I'm interested. Better yet tie in the importance of celetrial observations to time keeping and display the transitions to the equinoxes and soltices on the dial, again I'm in.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In case anyone is interested Sakurawatches.com (no affiliation) typically has the lowest price around on Chronomaster Citizens such as the AQ4041-54L blue dial with A060 and the white dial Tosa Washi AQ4020-54Y for $2287. The new limited edition AQ4050-02L blue dial is $3014.
The vendor has an interesting return policy, if the accuracy is bad, or if the hands, bezel, or indexes are misaligned, or if the color is off, not their problem. These are not acceptable reasons for return according to their return policy on their website. After duties you'll save a couple of hundred if you're willing to run with that Japanese warranty card and those conditions.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
Well, guess what arrived. :) Happy about that. It's charging right now; I have a spot where I keep my Eco Drive One charged and it can handle several watches. Right under an LED desk lamp.

Annoying, tho, that UPS just plopped it by the front door...didn't even ring the doorbell. No signature required...but Citizen didn't pay for it. Cheap SOBs...$2000 watch and they can't add signature required??? But still...6:30 at night, but the UPS guy coulda rung the doorbell, right?

The blue tone's nicer than I expected. Richer. Bracelet's been sized; we'll see if I stay with it probably tomorrow. First thought is, probably not; it's pretty hefty on the bracelet, altho I think the watch head alone is gonna be fairly hefty.

Reactions: ronalddheld
1 - 17 of 17 Posts