WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

301 - 320 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got the 36mm Railmaster a month ago and haven't stopped wearing it. I had the 39mm and the new 40mm for awhile and tried hard to bond with each of them, but they just started looking too large for my smaller wrist. The 36mm looks and feels better. Some pics:

Original Bracelet

Sailcloth Strap

Grey NATO

Beads of Rice. My new favorite look. I used to have a 50th Anniversary Doxa Sub 500 Professional and I loved the BOR bracelet, but couldn't bond with its orange dial (should have gotten the Searambler). Now I have that same 60's vibe on a great GADA watch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got the 39mm and it's tied with my Black Bay Fifty Eight for being my favorite watch in the collection. It's incredibly versatile and has the perfect amount of vintage vibe to it without trying to be an homage. In fact, the vintage aspects of it seem like a continuation of the Omega design heritage, rather than a rehash.

I know it's a sports watch, but I think it's much closer to being a dress or business casual watch. It's thin, polished, and has a smooth bezel, and wears very elegantly on a nice strap. And even though it's elegant, it also has just a slightly sinister vibe to it with those sharks-tooth indices. It looks less like something James Bond would wear, and more like something a Bond villain would.

To me, a proper sports watch pairs well with NATOs or rubber straps. I've tried both on mine, and I feel like they clash with the elegant lyre shaped lugs. It looks perfect on the bracelet, but my clasp broke last year and I haven't gotten around to fixing it, so I've tried every kind of strap you can on it since then. I've found that it pairs well with everything from brown leather vintage style straps to black crocodile.

That said, I think it looks cool AF on the bund strap I made for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Reactions: cybercat

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sorry to detract from the topic at hand, but can i ask what model AT is on your partners wrist? Looks like a calibre 8520?

How does it wear? I’ve been thinking of getting one for my wife but hv held of due to perceived thickness. This is the first wrist shot I’ve seen and it doesnt look too bad at all...

cheers
Jeelan

Hi Jeelan, PM ("conversation" now) & additional pics sent!

Will.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I always like the Railmaster but have yet to own it. I tried an SM300M and it did not work at all for me so sold it for a used "06 SMP Bond, much better. I think I'd go for a Trilogy in the Railmaster. I'm a little surprised to hear some thinking it wears big I was thinking the opposite. The SMP doesn't wear big at all for a 41mm and seems nice and thin as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Reactions: SinCity

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I absolutely agree with you.

View attachment 15541968

That is a fantastic pairing, and a great photo. Would you mind sharing the origins of the strap?

René
Thanks, René!
Yes, it's turned out pretty well considering what it's been through. Initially thought I'd have to throw it out after a long swim in chlorinated water.

Just checked old emails; originally bought in 2016 from Watch Gecko, it was their "Classic-handmade-italian-leather-strap 20mm, Chocolate Brown / Satin".

Almost as soon as it arrived I accidentally went swimming in the pool with it on for a few hours, & got the chlorine out in the washing machine. With that & the day in the pool It got thoroughly soaked & shrank a bit (now fits 19mm perfectly!)

Originally it had been an OK-ish colour, but I really wanted a darker, richer tone so tried a few tricks to colour & waterproof it for the future.

(Details if you want :
I applied the dregs of my tea each morning & left it to dry out in the sun for a few weeks, & then a used bit of Indian spice mix on the stitching - mainly turmeric & cumin, usually goes in the cooking!
Next gave the whole thing a couple of treatments with mink oil to darken & waterproof it, and finally KIWI Mink Oil Wax to seal it all).

That was all 2017/early 2018. I often wore it on my 2500C PO a while ago. Pic from 2018 :

Now mellowed and aged more, I think it suits the colours of the 57 Railmaster reissue quite well.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Thanks, René!
Yes, it's turned out pretty well considering what it's been through. Initially thought I'd have to throw it out after a long swim in chlorinated water.

Just checked old emails; originally bought in 2016 from Watch Gecko, it was their "Classic-handmade-italian-leather-strap 20mm, Chocolate Brown / Satin".

Almost as soon as it arrived I accidentally went swimming in the pool with it on for a few hours, & got the chlorine out in the washing machine. With that & the day in the pool It got thoroughly soaked & shrank a bit (now fits 19mm perfectly!)

Originally it had been an OK-ish colour, but I really wanted a darker, richer tone so tried a few tricks to colour & waterproof it for the future.

(Details if you want :
I applied the dregs of my tea each morning & left it to dry out in the sun for a few weeks, & then a used bit of Indian spice mix on the stitching - mainly turmeric & cumin, usually goes in the cooking!
Next gave the whole thing a couple of treatments with mink oil to darken & waterproof it, and finally KIWI Mink Oil Wax to seal it all).

That was all 2017/early 2018. I often wore it on my 2500C PO a while ago. Pic from 2018 :

View attachment 15543339

Now mellowed and aged more, I think it suits the colours of the 57 Railmaster reissue quite well.
Thanks for taking the time to search out the strap info, and very nice work resurrecting the strap.

Rene

Reactions: cybercat

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hey all - I was once the proud owner of the 39mm version - loved it. It's been sold long ago now.

I'm on the hunt for a 36mm example with box/papers. I am firmly in the WTB category. So...if you're reading this....hit me up :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm on the hunt for a 36mm example with box/papers. I am firmly in the WTB category. So...if you're reading this....hit me up :)
I saw one of these unicorns about 6 months ago on Chrono24, but it was mislabeled as a 38mm, and it was a good price (sub $4k). Still kicking myself... Hope you find one!

301 - 320 of 321 Posts