WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After having owned a Stainless Steel Skyhawk AT on bracelet (JY0000-53E) for a number of years now, I decided to add another model, the Red Arrows on Leather (JY0100-08E) recently.

While I like this watch as much as the original, there is one flaw with the Red Arrows model not apparent on the Citizen website. The red seconds, and UTC plus 24 hour dial hour hands, plus the red markings on the dial are very difficult to see in anything but the best light as they just disappear into the black dial. The website photo, and indeed my own attached here, were taken in good light, and so this phenomenon is difficult to demonstrate here.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did a retake in poorer light, and the disappearing hands/markings are less apparent than seen in my original photo.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
I have an AS4025-08E which is exactly in the same situation, with poor light only the hours and minutes hands are visible. All the others are painted a dull red and become invisible.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

In this case even an official picture shows the problem.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I remember talking to a manufacturer of fishing lures and asked why a "daredevil' spoon was red and white.

The answer was black and white would work just as well in underwater low light conditions, but red and white sold better. It seems that red fades darker in low light.

Walter

Reactions: brandon\
1 - 4 of 4 Posts