WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I tend to get wordy, cliff notes at the end. :)

As I've been researching my first 'nice' watch purchase, my Googling has continued to bring me back to the Watchuseek forums. I quickly learned that I could look at pictures and details on a mfg's website and then jump here for great reviews, more details, and great pictures. As such, my thanks go to everyone here for sharing their knowledge and experience.

My name is Chris. I'm 45 years old and have 4 year old twins, a boy and a girl. It recently dawned on me that my daughter will get some nice heirloom pieces from my wife, but that my son would only be getting my notebooks from college :), so I decided to start looking into something that I could enjoy now and hand off to him at the appropriate time. I solicited some input from an on-line community not related to watches and found just a few items meeting my criteria, at least on paper anyway. I have ~7 in wrists and am accustomed to small watches (currently wearing a 32mm Seiko). I was looking for something of quality to last at least two generations, relatively small, along the lines of classic styling, pertaining to trains in some form or fashion (obviously a tie in to my sons fascination with trains, so a truly sentimental thing) and costing up to $2k (low...I know). My first line of thought was the 36.2mm Omega Railmaster. I tried one out and found that while it was very nice, it was larger than the size implied and with the large dial it was not exactly what I was looking for. Next was the Omega Planet Ocean(yep, my price point was creaping up): I really liked its looks but again it was just too big for me. Back to the drawing board. I then hear about the Ball Fireman and after seeing pictures and reading comments on this forum...me want! As Murphy would have it, I miss this by a few months. Discontinued and the colors that I wanted were nowhere to be found. Ahhh. But, Ball USA customer service was readily reachable (I am very impressed with their response time and efforts) and they tried to align me with a dealer for a Fireman since there are no AD in North Carolina. I hooked up with Steve at Little Treasury and found him to be very helpful with my noobish questioning. After speaking with Steve again today, I settled in on the Ball Engineer II Ohio and it is shipping out to me today. I'm excited on both the purchase and the sentimental continuity it will bring.

Cliff Notes: Thanks a lot forum contributors! You've been very informative. Thaks a lot administrators: there is civility here that I've yet to find anywhere else on-line. My first purchase of a nice watch is on its way: Ball Engineer II Ohio.

Regards, Chris

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome Chris,
About half way through reading your post I was thinking "this man needs a Ball" - delighted you agreed with me. I hope it is everything you wanted.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi Chris! Good to welcome another budding watch addict to the scene. This forum is a very nice to call home, and I've found the members to be really helpful. Hope you enjoy it here as much as I have (though I hope you are more successful at holding onto your wallet- the sales forum is especially perilous to navigate since there are so many great deals and great sellers there)!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Welcome Chris. Your point about the civility of the WUS forum members is well taken. I have found it to be a genuinely friendly and courteous community of enthusiasts. It's a wonderful place to share and have our interests/obsessions fueled. Better invest in a watch box;-)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, for the welcome. My Ball arrived today and the bracelet has been fitted. I am a happy camper! I've broken free of my 32mm slim line watches and am thoroughly enjoying a larger and thicker watch. Both my son and I are enjoying the nicely engraved train on the back of the case :)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Thanks all, for the welcome. My Ball arrived today and the bracelet has been fitted. I am a happy camper! I've broken free of my 32mm slim line watches and am thoroughly enjoying a larger and thicker watch. Both my son and I are enjoying the nicely engraved train on the back of the case :)
Now when the "Honeymoon-day" is over, have you started thinking about the next heirloom for your son? ;-)

You being from the USA, I would like to introduce you to our just started WUS project, to re-created one of the most imported watches in the history of the US, the WW2 era A-11!
Have a look on the Stickies in the PilMil Forum!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Just what I was about to say. Everything seemed big because you were so used to 32mm. Many of us think 38mm is waay too small for us. Just shows that you really get used to the size. Nice choice and 38mm sounds about right for what suits you.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome to WUS and I understand completely what you're saying about size. I was in complete shock when I first started looking at watches and could not imagine wearing a watch in the 37mm to 40mm size. Now after a time of looking and trying several I seem to have settled on 40mm as being the perfect size for me. I'd be willing to bet that what you consider the perfect size will change with time.

Thanks for the intro and post.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to WUS and I understand completely what you're saying about size. I was in complete shock when I first started looking at watches and could not imagine wearing a watch in the 37mm to 40mm size. Now after a time of looking and trying several I seem to have settled on 40mm as being the perfect size for me. I'd be willing to bet that what you consider the perfect size will change with time.

Thanks for the intro and post.
I can see going up a bit in case size depending on the style. With the Ball not having the outer diver timer (bezel?) the dial is fairly large, so I'm happy with the way it looks on my wrist. The Fireman I initially wanted was 40mm and I'm sure I would have liked that fitment as well. It wasn't a blind leap of faith, but after careful analysis I bought the Ohio without ever having even seen a Ball watch, much less having tried one on. It sucks not having an AD in the state! But, to your point, I now know that I can pull off a larger size than I would have thought and if I do buy another watch I can consider a 40mm-42mm case (assuming weight and height are not an issue). Whew-hoo...this opens up all the diver styles that I've admired over the years!

uh-oh, is this how it starts? :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I can see going up a bit in case size depending on the style...uh-oh, is this how it starts? :)
Yup! I remember thinking that my Rolex was huge; so was my Tutima at 36.5 mm when I first strapped it on, with me thinking that anyone with a 46 mm was "showing off"! Well, I'm still not a size 46, but I'm learning to never say never :-d

In fact this is, almost without exception (ok, so sometimes I get cross...) a civilized place and the amount of accumulated knowledge is immense. Every question has a person somewhere who knows the answer and all you have to do is ask. Having said that, the search function is always your friend, as you say, as many have been asked before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts