WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have been a loyal Ironman for many years but it has come time for me to convert to the workhorse of a G-shock.

I've been reading up and it looks like I'm in the right place for some advice. I'm looking for a very basic G-shock with a good backlight and the tricky one so far is I'm looking for the light button to be on the upper righthand side as I'm not overly fond of the 5th button feature.

So let me know what ya'll think; I look forward to any recommendations you can provide.

Edit: I suppose I should give some 'must' need in a watch:
Water proof
Countdown timer (the biggest must of all)
Solid light (used extensively during dim to no light)
And good alarm features

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
The G9100 Gulfman is worth a look. It's not very 'basic', but it has the light button top right, and the buttons are very easy to press on this model. It's light, having a titanium back and screws, the display is very clear and the light is very good. They can be found for a little over £30 / $60 US.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
While I'm not an expert at G-shocks at this time, I think either a dw-5600 may be a good choice... simple display, can be had for 30-40 bucks and I believe some have said it was one of the best modules (movements) put in a G. Just an idea...

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
While I'm not an expert at G-shocks at this time, I think either a dw-5600 may be a good choice... simple display, can be had for 30-40 bucks and I believe some have said it was one of the best modules (movements) put in a G. Just an idea...
It's certainly a contender. :-!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I second 5600 or a new gulfman...

With one diffenence: most 5600 models do not show time in timer or stopwatch mode. New gulfman DOES show current time in timer but NOT in stopwatch mode.

Also, new gulfman wears rather bulky (very similar to timex shock) while 5600 wears a lot smaller.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
One advantage of the Gulfman over the DW5600 is, if easy access to the light is a priority, the 5600 has a small, fiddly button whereas the Gulfman has a big, easy one. I'm afraid the G9100 doesn't show current time in either stopwatch or CDT mode though (unless there's a setting I've not found).

It's a shame to rule out basic models with a 5th light button. They're generally not awkward to use, and you rule out some great models like the DW6900, G2300 and DW9052.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The DW-5600E looks like a good match. You get:

1. 200 meter water resistance
2. 24 hour countdown timer that you can set to the second
3. Time viewable in CDT and stopwatch modes.
4. Very bright backlight
5. One alarm, but with very good features
6. Light button is on lower-right corner

It's a very comfortable G-Shock, and less bulky than most. It will accept strap adapters, so you can convert to a one-piece dive strap.

The G-5600 will get you:

1. Solar power
2. 200 meter water resistance
2. 24 hour countdown timer
3. Time viewable in CDT mode.
4. Decent backlight with auto-EL
5. Five daily alarms
6. Light button is on top-right corner

It's a very comfortable G-Shock, and less bulky than most. It will accept strap adapters, so you can convert to a one-piece dive strap.

If you have the big bucks, the Frogman is a great watch:

1. Solar power
2. Titanium case
3. Screwback
4. 3 daily alarms
5. Decent backlight with auto-EL
6. 24 hour countdown timer that you can set to the second
7. ISO certified 200 meter water resistance
8. Light button is on top-right corner

This is a massive G-Shock, with a rather large strap. It will accept strap adapters, so you can convert to a one-piece dive strap.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
I second the g-9100 Gulfman... great dual illuminator, clear display, added bonus of tide/moonphase and best of all, titanium back & screws such that it's rust resistant!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the outside looking in some might say this is just silly but I can't believe how hard of a choice this actually is. Thank you for your suggestions.

Lexxorcist, I couldn't agree with you more and the DW6900, G2300 and DW9052 are all in the realm of what I'm looking for. I'm a sucker for those classic basic looks and even moreso for the rounder faces.

I was also looking at some of the higher end watches. I had no idea G-shocks produced nicer looking metal watches. Great: now I'm going to have get multiple watches. Everyday roughneck G shock and a nicer shock to wear with more formal attire.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Great: now I'm going to have get multiple watches. Everyday roughneck G shock and a nicer shock to wear with more formal attire.
The first step toward G-Shock addiction. ;-)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The first step toward G-Shock addiction. ;-)
You can say that again. I had no idea there were so many choices. This is going to eat away at me now.

I think I'm narrowing down my 'beater' watch (every work watch) to either a DW9052-1V, DW6900-1V (love the features just a bit iffy on the size and case, not as smooth and round as the others.) or DW6600C-1V. (though the count-down timer max's out at 1 hour, probably will be the disqualifing factor for him.) The harder part is going to be something in stainless for those times when something less plastic/digital would be needed.

The G011D-6A has caught my eye but I'm not 100%. Does anyone have something similar and if so what do you think of them? How is the lighting?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
My my... he didn't even get the first one and look at him... adding to the list already... ;-)

I think that this guy is well on a dark side already.. what do you think folks?
Is he already beyond help? ... I'd say he is... :-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

Seriously... just hop to local J C Penny (if in the states) or to the Bay if in Canada and try them out... that's the best way to determine the size and feel... plus all of these sotres have great return policy... so hey, if you get it and don't like it... just return / exchange it for something else...

But beware thou... you significant other WILL NOT GET IT... :-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I have no doubt that she won't. o| I think I have the bug bad now.

I did go to J.C. Penny but they had all of 3 in stock there. Are there any more stateside store that regular carry them?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Yeah I have no doubt that she won't. o| I think I have the bug bad now.

I did go to J.C. Penny but they had all of 3 in stock there. Are there any more stateside store that regular carry them?
Sears and wallmart can be sure bets but their selection tends to be limited. Wallmart is a great place for basic models like 6900 and 9052.

Good luck in your hunt, post a pic when you get the one you want. :-!

P.S.

And I just did a post number 1000... mine... I post a lot don't I? :-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Jup... and this forum DOES NOT help the issue...

It's been proved scientifically. :-d:-d:-d

Here is a pic of atomic gulfman... just to add a bit... since it looks WAY better in person than it ever does on a pic... ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Just a note on the ana/digi G-Shocks, the lume on many (if not most) of them is quite poor. I find it sufficient, but if good lume is important to you, it might be an issue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts