WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't Bring a Brain, but just a short communique. This time, I am absolutely gobsmacked!!!! Dear audience, behold - a piece of complete and utter franken rubbish, long overdue for its well-deserved meeting with the trash can:
https://shop.hodinkee.com/collectio...lung-skin-666-chronograph?variant=49568051215

First of all, I don't know what genius could have ever believed, that a dial marked "Incabloc" is correct for a non-shockproof movement. Many words come to mind. Pillock. Dunce. Just to name a few. Seriously, sometimes I'm truly amazed by how thick can the Shop get.

Louis, please tell me that it didn't go past you, or that you were badly undercaffeinated and missed this one completely.

Case marked "Schild Co.", dial "Aqua-Lung", movement unsigned. Oh, for crying out loud! The wee bastard of a blithering franken could use as much as a tiniest pinch of consistency, no? By Jove!

But the movement... No, the frankenising didn't stop there. Something was either struck off of the chrono bridge, or it comes from a different movement.
The condition of the movement is just bloody ghastly. Rust, debris... Grease thick and disgusting, looks like someone has dumped a whole barrel of week-old cooking fat from a "greasy spoon" in there. If not for the fact, that cursing isn't allowed here, I'd already be doing Gordon Ramsay-style uncensored rapid fire in here.

And for that bloody pile of rubbish, someone has been robbed of $3400.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell!

End of communique.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While the case is likely correct, as it is on these two examples, the movement's even more of a mess when compared to them - the real deal was finished way better than the sorry crap inside the Donkeys' franken. For what it's worth, I only hope that they read this communique, contact the buyer, and fix the situation - as unfortunately, that pile of rubbish has already been sold.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I don't even feel sorry for the rubes who drop this kind of money on these seriously shoddy timepieces anymore.

If buyers are too lazy to do even minimal research on what they are purchasing, then they deserve the fleecing they are getting by buying this garbage. Whatever Hodonkey is doing, it appears to be working because their watches seem to be snatched up pretty quick. It would be nice if I could convince multitudes of people to pay exorbitant amounts of cash for sketchy watches but I like to sleep at night.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the reset spring of the movement is worth looking at - it appears to be some makeshift solution, not even a replacement (in a dirt-common movement!). Begs the question, how and for how long will the Aquafranken reset properly.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Many words come to mind. Pillock. Dunce. Just to name a few... Well, if above 10 years of age and with a fairly normal lower state of the brain, even those should not be insulted as possible candidates buying some watches typical for this shop. How much brain can you bring to a protozoa?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Christ that's shocking.

I also noticed how the Bulova Snorkel is listed as having a correct plexi with slightly off centre cyclops- So why hasn't it been corrected?! Would take 5 mins to fix.

Also the Longines Conquest with an incorrect crown that sold for $1400. At that price I'll stick to my correct reissue thanks...

And I've just noticed that they sold the same watch a few months ago for $100 dollars less...

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1950s-longines-conquest-in-steel?variant=21740220420
https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1950s-longines-conquest-reference-9000-9?variant=49568031695

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
This is their level of horological intelligence (matching that of some of their customers):

Quote rubbish from the educational part of their website:

Amplitude

Amplitude is how big of a swing (degrees of rotation) the balance wheel moves per oscillation. Low amplitude generally means a larger problem with the power transmission causing less than needed energy to be delivered to the escapement..

'How big of a swing - no, how big of a stupidity!'

The amplitude is half of an oscillation. Half, half, half you bloody amateurs! Two amplitudes, one to either side, make an oscillation.

A low amplitude, (and that needs to be mentioned first), will result in the watch getting out of beat when leaving the corridor of isochronism. Of course, it's also an indicator that power is lost in the gear train (or the mainspring has a problem) and it's time for a service (or winding up the watch).

https://www.hodinkee.com/watch101/amplitude

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Christ that's shocking.

I also noticed how the Bulova Snorkel is listed as having a correct plexi with slightly off centre cyclops- So why hasn't it been corrected?! Would take 5 mins to fix.

Also the Longines Conquest with an incorrect crown that sold for $1400. At that price I'll stick to my correct reissue thanks...

And I've just noticed that they sold the same watch a few months ago for $100 dollars less...

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1950s-longines-conquest-in-steel?variant=21740220420
https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1950s-longines-conquest-reference-9000-9?variant=49568031695
The Conquest looks like a shill bidding/scam scenario. Unless its previous owner (if there was one!) just returned it - knowing the Donkeys, that might well have something to do with their watches being anything but in good working order.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's pretty obvious that someone was lazy enough and changed the whole balance bridge and the chronograph bridge with the first thing they managed to find. The two other example someone posted here has the import code on the balance bridge and the inscription on the chrono bridge. If the balance staff was broken, they were really lazy with this swap.

But the dirtiness of the movement amaze me. I wonder how it even works!

Now, I'm thinking. Maybe they have bought the watch in this condition. Maybe someone knew what he was doing. :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
The Conquest looks like a shill bidding/scam scenario. Unless its previous owner (if there was one!) just returned it - knowing the Donkeys, that might well have something to do with their watches being anything but in good working order.
Hmmm I think the original sale was too long ago, and the increase too little for it to be a shill attempt. I guess the buyer returned it for whatever reason? Possibly because it didn't work, or worse- they did a part exchange with another Hodinkee piece from the shop!

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm I think the original sale was too long ago, and the increase too little for it to be a shill attempt. I guess the buyer returned it for whatever reason? Possibly because it didn't work, or worse- they did a part exchange with another Hodinkee piece from the shop!
Well, we don't know if it won't show up again for even more...
Still, to be given back a watch with issues (should that be the case), throw it on another strap and sell for more than the first time - oh my, is that a great example of integrity...

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
and you still think that even 10% is sold at asking prices?

never,never,never underestimate the "benchmark price" effect . if you are to sell vintage watch, first thing is to check out the prices they are selling or sold for. usually go to ebay and find similar watches at sold section or just easily google it. And there you go..you find strange site callen Hodwinkle or something that sells the vintage watches with great patina for good money.

As I recall they also started the whole process of vintage hype in such volume that today people think that rust is patina, untouched and unserviced vintage timepieces are desirable in all its dried oil stuck at intermediate wheel glory, original cracked acrylic gives value to the watch , god forbid you change it for a new one and that "tropic" "Spider" and "rip banana" dials are actually cool...nevermind that water damage caused it.

and..voila..there you have it. Vintage market has boomed. now it is a sign of good taste to have crappy old watch..as seen on Hoodbangle....

and yes..they sell vintage crap. if you find a vintage watch somewhere in the pile of crap at local fleabay, atleast have some decency and get the movement oiled and running. or clean the rust from caseback.

I often visit thrift shops, pawn shops, flea markets..but if guys at Hodkinkle had their piece of nylon stretched over the mud with great selection of fine timepiece as shown on their site I would just pass..or get them for 10$ a piece. not worth much more presented this way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts