WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Wanted to share my latest acquisition for my 30th birthday: a Tudor Black Bay 36.

I've been considering a new watch for a milestone birthday. I have a handful of moderately priced automatics from Stowa, Christopher Ward, Seiko, etc. I have to admit that I am a bit of a sucker to Marine-style watches (I just love the dial and heritage). In looking for a few months, I decided that I wanted it to be a Stowa Marine Original silver dial edition.

However, I started having mixed feelings about what I landed on. Nothing against the watch at all, but I do already have two other Marine style watches (Stowa Marine Auto and a Hamilton Navy Pioneer), and given the Stowa already sits quite large on my 6.7" wrist, I was worried the overall bigger presence of the Marine Original may be less than ideal for me.

I also started lusting for more of a sporty, every-day companion. I had an Omega Seamaster I sold a while back that I loved and thought it may be great to get something more like that style. In searching, I came across Tudor models and given the high praise this brand receives it became a quick brand of focus in my search. I originally ran into the BB36 online but the pictures didn't catch my eye at all, so I moved on. However, when I went to a local AD I checked the Tudor display and one smaller watch jumped out at me immediately. I asked the rep if I could take a look and asked what model it was - when he said it was a BB36, I was shocked. The pictures I saw didn't capture how much amazing personality this watch has!

Needless to say, the rest is history and I'm very happy with my decision and the size is a lovely fit for me that I can wear dressed up or down. Very glad to be able to purchase in to this family of great watches.

MVIMG_20171223_115446.jpg

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Congrats. Looks great. The 36 looks actually quite larger on your 6.7” wrist than I would have imagined.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Congratulations!

Wear yours in good health!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Congratulations on a beautiful watch. It looks great on you. I have 7” wrists and my 41mm Black Bay Blue is flirting with being too large, in my taste. I have a 36mm Rolex Datejust which fits well. It looks like the 36 is your perfect size. Enjoy your fine timepiece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
Congrats. Great watch. That will most likely be my first purchase for 2018

·
Registered
589 Posts
Congrats!

My 41 says hi |>

IMG-4903.JPG

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Congrats on your choice. It's a beautiful watch. Oh, and a belated Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Congrats and happy birthday.

·
Premium Member
8,499 Posts
Looks perfect! Had mine almost a year now, and it's the one I wear most. Perfect if you want a sports type watch, but dressier and more versatile than the diver with rotatable bezel. IMO no other watch matches the uniqueness of this model for that purpose. Congratulations! Great way to celebrate 30 years, and Happy Birthday.
Carl

·
Registered
63 Posts
Congratulations! Looks like a great fit. I trust you'll enjoy it!

I also acquired the bb36 for my 30th birthday as an everyday mon-fri sport watch. The case thickness is a big plus for me, manageable and understated. A beautiful and legible dial, and at an angle the applied indices seem to just float in "space". Great bracelet and I'm satisfied with the accuracy (I'm in construction so this watch has and will continue to take a beating - thus the steel bracelet, and I can attest to the robustness of the movement/case).

The only drawbacks I've found with it is the limited power reserve, being able to make it from Friday night to Monday morning without additional winding. Also this watch is my first everyday watch without a date window. It goes against my grain, the aesthetic, but found myself missing that feature greatly. All this being said, they are totally unfair drawbacks to put on a watch like this - that I chose! (and knew of such shortcomings before purchasing) You learn something with every watch you own.

I love this watch dearly, more so everyday and have zero regrets in choosing it. To me it embodies the original rolex explorer spirit I sought after. Maybe for my 35th or 40th birthday something more like the northflag with the new movement may better suit my needs. Until then I am happy, and I wish you happiness with the bb36 as well!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts