WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's like an oxymoron, since vintage almost always evokes some degree of fragility...

However, I've been toying with the idea of using a vintage Certina/Rado in NOS condition as my everyday watch:

This is the Diamaster, the result of a joint venture between Rado and Certina during the late seventies.

It is made of tungsten carbide, so it is tough and allegedly robust enough. The crystal is facetated sapphire, so also convenient for a vintage piece that will enjoy plenty of wrist time...

I do get that an everyday watch does not necessarily mean to be a beater. But I've always liked to use a robust piece and stop caring about most issues.

But, am I entitled to stop caring?

Do you think I could find it problematic to use a vintage watch almost daily?

I mean, I don't know how resistant a 40 year old movement is. The case might be made of an outstanding material, but what if a violent movement is enough to damage the machine?

The watch is in NOS condition, the lubricants have been replaced and the seals restored. I wouldn't take it near the water, though...

So what do you think?
Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
959 Posts
That's nice! Though I'm probably a bit biased wearing a Speedy Mark III (1973) with a pretty similar case style as I type... : ) I'd say go for it as a daily wearer, really don't think you'll have any particular issues... best of luck!

·
Premium Member
38,890 Posts
A TC Rado/Certina diastar is a great choice as a beater. Just a quick wipe and it's good as new.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The Diastar is really cool looking and unique.

I think there are no issues on wearing it as a daily watch. I have a Sub from the 70's and an Air King from 1980 that I use as daily wearers. The only drawbacks are the lume is no longer present and I don't abuse or test its WR by showering or swimming with either piece. But they still get caught in the rain or soaked when I wash my hands or the dishes. And by daily wearer, I mean I pretty much wear them every waking hour (and sometimes even to sleep) and for most activities. So far, they've performed totally fine.

In the end, there is vintage and there is vintage. For me, these stainless steel sports watches from the 70's and 80's may be technically "vintage", but they are pretty much like any modern watch - maybe a little smaller in dimensions being the big difference. Real vintage for me are those gold cased swiss dress watches that seemed ubiquitous during the post WW2 period that seem to require a little extra careful wear if you are engaged in anything more physical than sitting at the desk, and just being in the rain with them may easily cause moisture to get in the case. I have a few of those watches and while I enjoy wearing them, I find them not so useful for wearing more than a few days.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,036 Posts
Nice looking Diamaster that should should work as well as a new one for daily wear because the movement was serviced and case seals replaced.

Half of my collection is vintage dating from the 1950's to 1970's and they all get worn. Nice thing about wearing a vintage watch like yours is that it is all but unique. You won't see someone else wearing one like it.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If the seals are reasonably good and the movement's been serviced, not much else is drastically different from a Rado you could buy off-the-shelf today.

If you would wear a Rado in your daily life and not worry about trashing it, this one's a go.

Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got the watch.

Here's how it looks on the wrist.

Since this is a 36mm watch I thought that maybe a little silver chain might help to make it look slightly bigger.

The dial is a little bit damaged under the C of Certina, but not a big deal.

I suspect somehow the tritium faded away leaving little marks on the dial, around the hour markers. It's difficult to catch, since it's almost imperceptible.

However, the blue of the dial is so nice and so sensitive to light (reflected in more than one way by the facetated sapphire) that you can still get a strong feel of quality that not even 40 years could erase.

Aside from the details on the dial, the watch is a solid piece and even more for what I paid! (Seems that, for the market, this is 'just' an old Rado rather than the little gem it is for me).

The bracelet is mint and obviously the case is mint as well (it has no scratches, tungsten carbide saved the day).

I'm overall pleased. Let's see how it works as a daily wearer :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Is worthy to mention that even though this is a vintage watch, the tritium hasn't collapsed: it's still possible to see the hands glowing decently in the dark

Which actually makes me wonder, as tritium is still 'alive', should I worry for its radioactivity (I've a one year old at home!).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Is worthy to mention that even though this is a vintage watch, the tritium hasn't collapsed: it's still possible to see the hands glowing decently in the dark

Which actually makes me wonder, as tritium is still 'alive', should I worry for its radioactivity (I've a one year old at home!).

No. Tritium is fine. It's self-contained within the watch. Presumably you aren't planning to crack open the watch and even if you did, the risk is still pretty low.

Radium was used prior to Tritium and that seems to be the far riskier stuff, although even to this day, the exact risk from wearing a watch with a Radium dial is still sort of up for debate.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have an old Omega that I use as a beater. Thinking of picking up a 'vintage' Rolex for daily wear though, either a 36mm explorer or a 5513 matte dial sub. Probably going to be the explorer as it is priced a little more in my comfort zone.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I Skimmed through this quickly - for those of us who 'hang' on vintage, I think most of us don't have a 'daily beater' - we buy lots of vintage watches due to the addictive nature of the historical aesthetics and variety and we wear a different watch every day !!

I collect trench, Art Deco and most recently 20s-50s chronographs - so the watches I wear every day - are a different one - they average 73.52836882 years on average - so enjoy ! But be careful !

I could wear my Zenith EP limited edition Captain - but only once every other week - as vintage dominates - cheers - SDA

today's 30s 18ct gold chrono !

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: saxoo
1 - 15 of 15 Posts