WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
magalhes_article.jpg

The Rolex Explorer ii has been on my to-do list for some time. It’s sleek lines and ability to combine the classic with the modern are legendary.

They fly out of stores within a week or two of appearing here in London, but are generally available, as compared to many of their stainless professional counterparts which have long or eternal waiting lists. Perhaps this could be changing now as I hear of up to 3 month waiting lists now in some parts of Europe. This could be due to Rolex’s general cut back on the production of stainless steel models, or it could be the dawn of recognition of this model as a iconic piece in its own right with usually, and dare I say it, good value for a Rolex, and indeed for any of the top brands

42885422222_5f7be40c82_c.jpg

One of the issues for the Explorer ii is that it’s difficult to classify. It’s not an obvious diver, but can dive, it’s not an obvious racer but with its beautiful satin stainless steel bezel (all it takes in some brands) it can race, it’s not an obvious dress watch but looks great with a suit, it’s not an obvious aviator or world traveller, but with GMT it can travel ....

It’s a unique creation of Rolex ... the Explorer watch, and you can explore just about everywhere with it.
Note an apology from me - sorry the stickers are still on. I like to let them fall off on their own, normally after a few swims!

The first thing that struck me when I put it on is how svelte it is. Even on my small wrist it sits comfortably and slides under every shirt.

42888156952_fa7858e10a_c.jpg

I chose the black one for a number of reasons, all my taste of course and the white one looks super as well. The black is a bit smarter and a bit more subtle. Somehow the white one looks bigger (an optical illusion), not that that’s bad in itself, but the black and the size are almost perfect to my eyes. The silver borders on the pips also look more luxurious then the black borders on the polar. I love the way colours can play with the black

42937675151_b166e2bd6b_c.jpg

I have a small wrist but like big watches. They are more easy to see but also I just like the presence. 42mm is smaller then the average 44mm of many other brands and most of my other watches, but larger then the 39-40mm liked by Rolex aficionados. The 42mm is perfect here.

The watch has a lovely chunk of sapphire glass up front with the ubiquitous Cyclops eye. The sapphire is raised about a millimetre above the bezel which both gives a classic look whilst providing a bit of extra protection for the bezel.

29061775228_4fc344275c_c.jpg

The bezel itself is a lovely satin matt steel with a clear black recessed font for the second time zone hours. The pips are white with smart silver surrounds with the classic triangle at 12. The classic Rolex hands are white enclosed silver to match the pips and the orange GMT hand is clear and easy to see and shorter then the minutes hand but longer then the hour hand to further enhance recognition.

There are five fonts on the dial, blending nicely with all in white text except for the Explorer ii in orange. The face of course is deep black and is very resistant to reflections in all sorts of lighting environments

41124075630_20ca7c0b42_c.jpg

The crown is classic Rolex, very slightly oversized, and protected with crown guards like the diving models.

41124088680_1a0b8539eb_c.jpg

I have to say the lume is unexpectedly bright and is a nice cherry on the icing.

The bracelet is my favourite metal Matt bracelet in the watch world. In addition to taking out or putting in links, the buckle has 3 micro position settings and the genius of the easy link. My wrist can expand and contract during the day significantly, particularly with temperature differences and sweat, and this is sent from heaven.

41124088490_78ac839a3e_c.jpg

I was always sceptical about the GMT function, but I am finding it surprisingly useful, mainly as one of my bosses is in a different time zone 5 hours away, and that is material enough to need an annoying double take if calculating it myself. Although I am probably just slow ....

29061751478_5696f1f30c_c.jpg

IMHO being difficult to tie down in a genre is a uniqueness and attraction of this extremely useful and gorgeous watch. Every collection should have one and for some, it’ll be a monogamous one with the fly Explorer ii

image - Edited.jpg

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
When I first became obsessed with Rolex Steel Watches almost 40 years ago, the Submariner was the one I bought. (I live in salt water)
However, I was also VERY obsessed with the 1655 at the time and it's the only watch I regret NOT buying.

During the mid-90's I bought a white Ex-II - 16570 and wore that 90% of the time for almost 20 years.

Once the new bracelets arrived....along with the 42mm Ex-II - 216570, I bought a white one.....then a black one, then flipped the white for a SPARE black.

I love the larger size, yet thinner thickness more than Subs/Sea-Dwellers....but the 216570 is as rugged as anything I need.
I love the brushed body and bracelet.
At the airport a week ago, I saw 6 Subs the same day....I saw ZERO Explorers....

Well done sir!

XD6Aroml.jpg
FeufHi1l.jpg

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Agreed, the EXPII is a very cool watch, one of the coolest Rolexes IMO. Of course I'm biased because I own one, but I own one because it's the perfect Rolex for me. As for a category, I see it as the ideal adventure watch, whether that adventure be traveling, spending time outdoors, or just living an active lifestyle. It could also be considered the perfect everyday watch. It is the perfect watch for me because of it's versatility. I can wear it hiking, and with a quick change of shoes grab a nice steak on the way home, and the Explorer II is perfectly at home in both settings. I also like the fact that it is off the beaten path as far as models go, and therefore not very common. I can see it gaining in popularity in the future, however.

It's not the Rolex for the person who wants to wear a Rolex to show off their riches. It's the Rolex for someone who appreciates the company's heritage for making some of the best tool watches available. Worn by people who are not afraid to use a watch as it was intended. Not a so called "Man of Rolex" (see the Opinions on Omega thread above), just a man.

Probably the best way to categorize the Explorer II, however, is right there in the name. It is just an all around ideal watch for...well...Exploring b-).

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
The Explorer II is such a sexy watch! It was my first Rolex but I sold it because it was just too large for my wrist. But I will always have a soft spot for it.
You and me both, it's almost perfect if it's 40mm.

Jumping form 39 to 42mm seems a bit too much. My old one was white dial so its even wearing bigger.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks

In a crowded market of “me to” watches following the standard genres, Rolex has made a genre that no one has. Yet again, since most of the other genres Rolex was key in making.

IMHO the closest that actually comes to the Explorer is the Casio G-shock series ...

Its hard as nails, it can accompany you all around the world, or down the street. In water, in cold, in heat, in the desert, in the jungle, in the boardroom, in the garden, on the beach and in the bedroom (did I say that !!) and with the queen for tea ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
When I first became obsessed with Rolex Steel Watches almost 40 years ago, the Submariner was the one I bought. (I live in salt water)
However, I was also VERY obsessed with the 1655 at the time and it's the only watch I regret NOT buying.

During the mid-90's I bought a white Ex-II - 16570 and wore that 90% of the time for almost 20 years.

Once the new bracelets arrived....along with the 42mm Ex-II - 216570, I bought a white one.....then a black one, then flipped the white for a SPARE black.

I love the larger size, yet thinner thickness more than Subs/Sea-Dwellers....but the 216570 is as rugged as anything I need.
I love the brushed body and bracelet.
At the airport a week ago, I saw 6 Subs the same day....I saw ZERO Explorers....

Well done sir!
I completely agree

Actually I asked myself this question.

Let’s say you are in an alternative universe

This universe is identical to this one except there is a waiting list of 2 years for the submariner and the Explorer II, also the second hand value was the same relatively (ie higher then new, although the submariner is £650 more, when you are spending this much on a watch, it doesn’t make much difference).

Now imagine you walk into a shop and wanted to buy one or the other and miraculously there are both of these two on display, both cancelled orders.
What would you buy ?

In this scenario, I would want the Explorer ii every time. It’s thinner then the submariner, larger display and GMT.
To be honest I would take it over the GMT-master as well (bezel font too garish, bezel too loose, can’t easily see GMT hand, etc. - that’s another story).

Therefore, since this was the case, I should get the Explorer ii. If I bought the submariner I would be getting it only because of the excitement of actually finding one and the resale value - which are the wrong reasons to buy a watch and will lead to an expensive flip or unhappiness.

QED

1 - 9 of 9 Posts