WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? the most reliable, accurate, and durable watch you can think of for under $200 for a chef to use in a kitchen.

i was thinking of the G Shock GW-9010-1 but i cant find it anywhere..

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Hmm... It has to be shock resistant as it would not get destroyed when he does his frying, really water resistant, not like the over-optimistic Swiss rating where 30m means "splash resistant", but the Russian rating where 200m means a real 200m. A watch he can see the time at a glance amidst the steam, and when dirty, can be cleaned in a bowl of soapy water and an old toothbrush. I also think specially treated waterproof leather strap would be better than bracelet as it would not rattle too much as he moves, and also better than rubber as it would not feel icky when he perspires.

Vostok Amfibia Reef, US$196 including shipping.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
I don't think leather strap is a good idea for the kitchen, unless the strap is treated to be waterproof.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Would it help for a chef to have a timer on the watch? Then maybe a chrono is necessary. Or would that be a mess to move the chrono buttons with dirty hands....:think:

I'd suggest something non-digital because I think it's easier to tell at a glance what time it is or how much time has elapsed (roughly) by glancing at hands rather than trying to interpret a digital readout. One of the reasons the Amfibia is a good choice (other than if you need a timer).

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I don't think leather strap is a good idea for the kitchen, unless the strap is treated to be waterproof.
The Amfibia (and the classic series "Amphibia") leather strap is indeed specially treated to be waterproof.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Seems to be that a clean diver on a stainless bracelet would be ideal. The bracelet would be cooler and would be much better with food grime as you could wash it in soapy hot water. A dive bezel would also be useful for timing things. Screw in crown would be more food gunk resistant (technical term). Chrono would be nice to time things, but the buttons might be gunked up.

Edit: I notice on Top Chef that folks there often wear cool watches. Must be a chef thing.........

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was going to suggest all the watches Gordon Ramsay wore on his shows (e.g. Rolex Yachtmaster, Asprey, Breitling etc.), but those are all above the $200 budget ;-).

If you are looking for:
reliable, accurate, and durable
For $200, I'd say G-Shock. You can get one like the GS1100-1A or the more classic #GWM5600A-3. Heck there's so many G-Shock models there's bound to be one you like. They're fairly cheap, next to impossible to destroy and the atomic ones are perfectly accurate.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I do cooking where time keeping is necessary, i tried chronos , too much work to stop reset and go.

I prefer using dive watch with uni or bi directional rotating bezel. The easier to grip the bezel the better.b-)

also, metal bracelet is better choice when handling food.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Having worked in a kitchen before I would say that leather is a no simply from a hygiene perspective - bacteria in the nooks and crannies, cleaning, etc. I would go for a resin or metal strap, easy to clean and sterilize.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Get yourself a Seiko Orange Monster. You'll be cookin' in style....:-!

·
Registered
333 Posts
also, metal bracelet is better choice when handling food.
I think rubber would be better. Rubber can be cleaned more easily and has no links (dirt can get between the links). There was a thread with pictures of watches from people that didn't clean their metal bands and it was disgusting.

·
Registered
414 Posts
So by Chef do you mean someone that doesn't actually cook and just barks orders or do you mean a cook that is actually making food and getting dirty?

I've worked enough restaurant jobs to be able to say that if I were to ever actually wear a watch it would be a cheap digital that didn't mind getting destroyed. Restaurant work is dirty, wet, and hot not to mention full of sharp and heavy objects that your constantly banging into.

Lastly unless your working in some back water sleepy town you should be so busy that looking at a watch while cooking would be a joke, get a nice legible wall clock and be done with it.

Real restaurant work is not like TV. Put the watch on when you leave for the night.

Oh yeah... most restaurants wont let you wear jewelry when cooking anyway as it's typically against health code.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
This one is perfect for any chef, even Alain Ducasse :-!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow i wasnt expecting so much input, im liking this forum more and more. Thanks so much for the great advice. but to clear things up,

I'll be interning as a sous chef at a hotel soon, but im taking culinary classes right now and learning. it is very fast paced in the kitchen, and there is only 1 clock on a wall in the back of the kitchen. its easy to read but annoying to leave my station and have to check the time. i would find it much easier to just look at my wrist when i need to time something, or take time logs of food items being received.

my internship and the kitchen im in right now does require you to take off all jewelry, however watches are allowed.

i found it interesting that most of you guys suggested analog over digital, but the general consensus seems like: rubber or metal strap (rubber probably), a dive bezel timer, and an analog?

i really want the MK II stingray 50 with rubber straps but its 600 dollars :(

the morpheus looks interesting, ill try and look around for that. but for now i think im going to keep searching for the GW 9010. i just love the look of it and fits me perfectly

1 - 20 of 34 Posts