WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Dad wants a watch. Of course, there are caveats, but at least they're pretty light in this case. He's dangerously close to becoming a WIS, although all he has now is an old Caravelle and a Tiber proto. He's been asking me a ton of questions about various details of my watches and clearly enjoys the intricacies. I'm hoping you guys will go a little nuts and throw out some oddballs I haven't thought of yet.

The musts:
-be readily available on Amazon
-cost $300 USD or less on Amazon

This is totally non-negotiable. There will be no saving a bit more, spending $25 more, etc. However, we are willing to wait for sales if the price is close enough that it might feasibly see $300 at the top end one day.

...and that's basically it. He doesn't care much about movement except to say that not having to change batteries would be neat. I'd prefer sapphire for all the usual reasons, but he won't care either way. Bracelets and straps are fine, since I'll probably indoctrinate him on NATOs either way, but with bracelets, let's at least go with solid end links.

Now, you'll want to know what his style is, but that's hard to pin down. Here's what I've shown him so far:

Seiko SKX, SRP, SNK
Orient Mako, Ray, Flight
Casio MDV
Citizen Nighthawk

All pretty much WIS standard fare. So hey, throw out some different stuff and let's find the old man a watch!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Any idea of what style watch? Dress, casual, diver, etc?

A couple quick ideas - Seiko SARY055 ($254) or SARY057 ($299.80)? Found these pics online. The white dial has blue hands. Amazon shows stock photos with English day window...

sarry0555005.jpg sary0575001.jpg

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
This is waaaaay out there and far below the others in price but since I just bought one from Amazon, I thought at least I would throw it out there.

Armitron is an American company that uses Myota movements (for models like this anyway) and cases them in the US. This is an older model closing out at $44.99 but I was really pleased with how nice it was. The bracelet was a no go for me because my 7in wrist was just too small for it. It is nicer than my few months old SNKK79 Seiko 5's bracelet by a long shot however. The first pics are with the stock bracelet and the last is with the shark mesh I put it on.

IMG_20150503_134020_382.jpg IMG_20150503_134035_648.jpg IMG_20150503_134054_029.jpg IMG_20150505_074211_854.jpg

·
Vendor
27,720 Posts
Here's a crazy thought...aren't you about to launch your new watch company and your first model? I can't help but think your dad would be mighty proud to own a watch his son designed.

Are you keeping the old man in the dark about what yer up to? I'm not judging, I didn't tell my dad what I was doing until I was at it for over a year.

Reactions: ChiefWahoo

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't go wrong with the Orient and Seiko options.

But here's another
View attachment 4010658
Nice choice! I have that watch and he's admired it before. Definitely going on the list!

Here's a crazy thought...aren't you about to launch your new watch company and your first model? I can't help but think your dad would be mighty proud to own a watch his son designed.

Are you keeping the old man in the dark about what yer up to? I'm not judging, I didn't tell my dad what I was doing until I was at it for over a year.

Right on point, Doc, but he already knows that he'll be getting one of mine. He tells me it's too fancy for everyday use and he's afraid of hurting it. Also, he's getting the Amazon cash as an employment bonus from his employer, so he wants another watch for daily wear and tear.

·
Premium Member
14,672 Posts
I just gave my dad one of these, because he is in a very similar spot to your dad. He regularly has 2-3 of mine that he cycles through, because he enjoys variety. I gave him this one though, because it is easy-wear with most anything, and (being a quartz) it is always ready to just grab-n-go

Amazon.com: Victorinox Swiss Army Infantry Black Dial Mens Watch 241563: Victorinox: Clothing

Seiko SKX007 is always a good affordable options

There are many Citizen eco-drives under $300, great watches, accurate, dependable, and he does not have to worry with batteries

If he wants an auto that is a little nicer, this Bulova Precisionist is available on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Precisionist-...1_29?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1431823651&sr=1-29

·
Registered
670 Posts
if I were buying a 'worry free' watch for my dad, I would get a Traser. Mine has been bulletproof. Tritium makes it visible in low light as well as at night, and having the 12 marker in orange makes it legible, as well as bright. 100M water resistant. 42mm Black PVD SS case. 3 year warranty, which is wonderful for the industry nowadays. Only drawback I see is mineral glass rather than sapphire... $279. I'd also loose the band in favor of a nato.

http://www.amazon.com/Traser-Office...r_1_7?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1431823480&sr=1-7

51x2Kh6l0IL.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts